Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#91287 - 04/16/07 09:20 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: stealthedc]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Could have happened anywhere, period. Places where you go to the black market it would have been worse.

There are already politicians making hay of this. I'm not sure which is sadder, the murders, or using them as an excuse for a political agenda.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#91288 - 04/16/07 09:26 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech.
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
They are both equally sad and unfortunately the political agendas are going to create even more victims of this senseless tragedy.

#91289 - 04/16/07 09:28 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: ironraven]
gatormba Offline

They are both equally sad and unfortunately the political agendas are going to create even more victims of this senseless tragedy.

#91291 - 04/16/07 09:34 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: paramedicpete]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
TRAGIC AND SENSELESS!!! As far as the gun debate goes, keep in mind that guns don't kill people, people kill people.

#91293 - 04/16/07 09:37 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: rescueguru]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
My family and I are including the families of the dead and wounded in our prayers.
Via con Dios

#91298 - 04/16/07 10:18 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: 91gdub]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yet another tragedy, and I don't intend to diminish the severity, I just want to point out that 32 deaths out of 26,000 who attend that school is relatively minor. It could easily have been ten times that number. This is only the tip of the iceberg. In some parts of the world, this sort of violent death toll is almost a daily occurence.

When you are remembering these victims in your thoughts and prayers, I would also suggest doing the same for victims elsewhere in the world, every time you hear about them, if you aren't already. They are no less deserving of it.

Isn't it ironic, in Baghdad they allow each household at least one fully automatic firearm for just such a reason, yet here they use such incidents to further restrict our ability to defend ourselves??? This is the same government imposing these laws in both places. Go figure. I am confident that some of the wounded today would've liked to have been able to shoot back at some point.

Nonetheless, this loss is regrettable. There is no law that can be written that will abolish insanity.

#91302 - 04/16/07 10:36 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: Micah513]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Quote:
Just one armed well trained professor with a concealed carry permit could have saved a lot of lives.

Or student, people forget that the students there are not children. Almost all are adults (there is the occasional 17 year old). A large number are old enough to have a concealled carry liscense and buy a handgun. Unfortunately universities tend to have the view that students are children not to be trusted. I imagine there are a fair few young women on campus who would prefer the university allow them to carry a handgun then put in more lights or broken emergency telephones.

#91304 - 04/16/07 11:07 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: AROTC]
gatormba Offline

There is already talk on the radio here locally about moves to ban all handguns in the US. Save your guns and your ammo folks, the day when armed citizens, who believe in the Constitution and the freedoms that this country was founded on, to rise up in revolt of our oppressive royalty in DC is coming sooner rather than later.

Be an unarmed subject or an armed citizen...the choice is yours.

#91306 - 04/16/07 11:10 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: AROTC]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Quote:
Unfortunately universities tend to have the view that students are children not to be trusted

I don't think that's just the universities. You can't drink until you're 21 in most states (if not all now). Hell, I don't think you can carry a handgun in some states until you're 21! Yeah, you don't trust a 18-20 year old to drink or carry a handgun, but you'd let him have a shotgun????

You do wonder what would happen if someone did have a gun to counter act the guy. Even then, I could just hear the words coming out of the University President's and Police Chief's mouths about "Letting the professionals handle it.."

I wonder what would change a persons mind on gun control. Have them sit in their dining room or bedroom and have their friends in their living room, place a cell phone and a gun next to them. Tell them: "You have 2 tools at your disposal. A cell phone and a gun. Let's say someone comes in and busts in and starts arguing with your friend. The person shoots their friend. You only have 1 second to make a decision. Which tool would you use? Do you call 911 and wait 6 minutes for the police, or use the gun? Quickly please."

#91307 - 04/16/07 11:17 PM Re: 30+ Killed at VA Tech. [Re: ki4buc]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
While in Iraq, I met a number of 18 and 19 year old Americans, some of whom were armed to the teeth and had already become seasoned killers. Imagine one of them getting wounded and being sent home before hitting the age of 20 and being told they are too immature to be trusted with a handgun. Ha!

I always figured that if you were old enough to hold down a regular job and pay taxes and go fight in a war like any other grown up, then you deserved all of the same rights. Seems to me an 18 year old can do a lot more damage with his voting rights than with a 10 round magazine of 9mm. Then again, maybe not. I suppose there's more than one way to influence policy.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.