Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#90627 - 04/07/07 02:46 AM which languages are in most demand in the world?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

which foreign languages are in most demand around the world? I want to learn those languages to enhance my career.

#90630 - 04/07/07 03:56 AM Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? [Re: picard120]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Firstly, what is your career? Certainly Spanish will cover most of latin America and Brazil's close portugeuse. Of course, you may meet up with a rainforest indian or, in my case a family of Mixtecs picking california spinach who knew less spanish than english! Chinese and japanese are pushed for business in the far east. Inversely, lots of chinese and japanese are learning english. It really hinges on your career. If your a Mozart loving musician definetly german.

#90632 - 04/07/07 04:22 AM Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
If you're in America, and unless your career directs otherwise, learn Spanish. You already know English. Next to English, Spanish is the language that will be most spoken in the U.S. in the coming decades.

#90633 - 04/07/07 04:27 AM Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl [Re: picard120]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
China will only continue to grow in economic importance, so Mandarin Chinese is a great choice.

But it also depends on what sort of career you're contemplating. Languages popular for a business person is not the same as the languages most in demand for the diplomatic corps, for example.

#90638 - 04/07/07 05:10 AM Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl [Re: Arney]
NYC2SoCal Offline
dedicated member

If you're in the white collar corporate world, Chinese, specifically Mandarin Chinese.

#90640 - 04/07/07 05:14 AM Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl [Re: Arney]
LED Offline
Veteran

in my experince if you can speak English, Spanish, and French you should be able to communicate with no problems pretty much anywhere. Chinese is a good choice too. I doubt many westerners speak chinese fluently so that, in itself, would be a highly valuable skill.

#90644 - 04/07/07 05:48 AM Re: which languages are in most demand in the worl [Re: LED]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I tried to learn Chinese once, it was a lost cause since I can't carry a tune too well. smile
Chinese is very easy in terms of grammar, but very hard in terms of pronunciation (its a tonal language) and also having to learn a lot of characters for reading and writing doesn't help.

Learn Spanish, French and possibly Portuguese.

Edited by redflare (04/07/07 05:49 AM)

#90658 - 04/07/07 04:59 PM Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? [Re: picard120]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Chinese is already very important, Chinese is starting to compete with English as the lingua franca of business. Spanish is tremendously important in the US and Americas. One language I haven't seen mentioned so far though is Arabic. A fifth of the worlds population is Muslim and while not all of them speak Arabic or even the same dialect of Arabic, Arabic is a tremendously important language for business in the Middle East, North Africa and parts of India and Pakistan. Learning classical arabic would serve you well. On the other hand, if you're doing business in India your choices swing towards Hindi, Urdu or Gujarati. Of course the problem with India is that there are so many different languages spoken.

It all depends on where you're doing business and who you're doing business with.

#90666 - 04/07/07 07:04 PM Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? [Re: AROTC]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Most of the worlds business is done in English. Think about it, to do business with Americans and Brits you need to speak English. Spanish is the second most spoken language here in the U.S. English is pretty much the most desirable language in the civalized world right now.

#90677 - 04/07/07 09:00 PM Re: which languages are in most demand in the world? [Re: Themalemutekid]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Most of the world's business is done in English, but he already speaks English. It'd be better for him to evaluate who he'll be working with and learn their language. Spainish won't do him a lick of good if he's working with Moroccans or Saudi's or Hong Kong businessmen. Spainish is a great skill if he owns a small business but if he works for a company doing international work its only the best choice if he's working in South or Central America.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.