Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88219 - 03/13/07 12:55 PM Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!)
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Yes, folks, you heard it here first. I am actually getting on a plane of my own free will for the first time since 9/11. I am going to Las Vegas (from Philadelphia) with my brother and sister for a long weekend. I am a bit unsettled about it, but my doctor has given me a prescription for some nice big Valium. Yippee!

We will be checking luggage. I know about having to take one's shoes off and about the three-ounce limit for carry-on fluids. I get lots of headaches, so I know about carrying all my prescriptions in their original containers. What else does a Born-Again Air Travel Virgin need know about flying the somewhat frosty skies in the new millennium?

I want to be Prepared to Survive Domestic Air Travel.

-- Craig

#88228 - 03/13/07 03:24 PM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: Craig]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I too am an infrequent flier, not due to a fear of flying, although my wife is a fly-on-valium type, but due to our lifestyle. We did fly about a year and a half ago, my only "tools" were the clothes on my back, hiking shoes (which had to come off of course) with paracord laces, a toenail clipper with the tip of the little file broken off (to clip off the cable ties on the zippers of our checked luggage), a Surefire flashlight, and the metal decision already made to fight any potential hijackers to the death, should an attempt be made. A whole planeload of people being hijacked by a couple of guys with little bitty blades, or just about any other weapon, makes no sense to me. I am a die fighting kind of guy.

Next time we fly (in late '08 if things go according to plan), we will carry empty water bottles thru the security checkpoint, then fill them on the other side, and, depending on what the security regs are then, a bunch of store bought muchies (it's gonna be a long flight), and our personal meds. Plus of course enough drugs to keep my wife in la-la land the entire flight. Maybe a pocket book, in case the movie sucks.

Since our infrequent ventures into the wild blue yonder are all commercial, over land (or the upcoming one over a lot of the deep blue sea), I just don't see the need for a load of survival goodies in my pocket. If we should go down, we will either be dead, or a lot of people will know about it, and be on the way before the flames stop...

#88237 - 03/13/07 04:10 PM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: Craig]
VeracityGear Offline

Loc: MD,USA
Be safe !!! Its been since 96 for me. Still have a bad feeling about flying.

#88238 - 03/13/07 04:15 PM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: Craig]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I don't worry about the flying part, it's getting past the TSA zombies that bothers me.

#88263 - 03/13/07 07:16 PM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: Craig]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Inventory everything in your checked luggage. The airport employees tend to care a little more when you tell them that you can list and price everything that they lost.

Double-check your carry-on luggage. Being stopped for an “I didn’t know it was there” situation isn’t fun.

#88271 - 03/13/07 08:49 PM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: JCWohlschlag]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Well, I wouldnt let 9/11 instill fear in someone to fly. I would think that even the terrorist planners look at it like "Well, we did that trick, they are well aware of it, what are they NOT protecting". A genuine phobia to fly is different though. I have a phobia about burning to death. I think if I were caught in a burning building, I may well panic. But, as the situation hasnt presented itself, I may never know. And, although you can take Valium, or other meds, to fly, I would suspect one taking drugs to relax in a burning building would most likely be found in the rubble & aftermath.
I am flying in April, and look forward to it. I like the anonyminity of an airport. Flying is kind of boring; bring a book and/or MP3. And, enjoy it!

#88281 - 03/13/07 11:59 PM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I fly quite a bit, both domestic and international, including the longest non-stop commercial flight in the world. Here's the best survival advice I can think to give a person in your situation:

Get to the departure airport at least an hour earlier than you need to. NightHiker pointed this out, and it will make a huge difference in your travel experience. Observe what others in line for security are doing and mimic them for the most part.

Eddie Murphy made a movie called "Holy Man". In it, he helped a guy deal with his fear of flying. Surprisingly, it is quite an effective technique, and the philosophy behind it is sound. A fear of flying, for whatever reason, is quite unrational, and I liken it to quitting smoking. When you are ready to accept control over your life, then you will be able to deal with what you cannot control a whole lot easier. Until then, you remain at the mercy of others, and under their control. Fear is part of life; something we can learn to control just like an addiction.

You control the decision of whether you will fly or not. Having made that decision, you also control how you will react to the event. What you cannot control is the outcome. Perspective is everything, and to fear flying anywhere more than you fear being shot or runover crossing the street or turning a corner is just unrealistic. Accepting the limits of our existence, and making the most of what we have while we are here is all any of us can expect from one day to the next. Realize this, and your life will be a lot more satisfying. Live in fear, and you are only wasting opportunities.

#88306 - 03/14/07 03:38 AM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: benjammin]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I use to fly quite a bit back when I was working(retired now) most of my flight have taken me over forests and land masses here in the U.S.A. My First leg was a commercial Flight to an area where I would take a puddel Jumper to my final destination. My Survival Kit was carried in a old small computer case, It looks like a large book cover. I have it packed in my check-in baggage, and have nothing in my carry on to get the TSA people excited. My thery is if I am still alive,I can dig thru the baggage and find mine and get my gear, If Not who cares?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/alclarkson/hpim0189.jpg (my travel bag open)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/alclarkson/hpim0202.jpg (my travel bag closed)

Edited by big_al (03/15/07 05:37 AM)

#88362 - 03/14/07 09:37 PM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: Craig]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I just got back from my 4th trip THIS MONTH (Miami, Chicago 2x, Dallas), so perhaps I can give you some perspective.

First of all, checking bags is just a huge no-no, but you seem to have made your decision, so I can't change that.

I'd NEVER take any drug that would make me less likely to be able to function fully in the event of a plane evacuation, or, more realistically, to be a little unclear on directions about gate changes.

On most airlines, you're only allowed ONE carry-on and a "personal item" (like a purse). Even then, on my trip back from Miami, I was last on the plane (flying standby), and I had to check my carry-on, so that's why I wear a Scott e-Vest loaded with my toiletries, a book to read, various electronics (cell phone, ham radio), + spare batteries for electronic devices. When they force me to check my carry-on, I pull the laptop and tuck it into the seat-back pocke.

The worst thing about air travel is that it's almost NEVER ON TIME. I fly out of Newark and O'Hare a lot, the two worst airports in American for on-time departures.

Finally, be patient and kind to the people working in the airport - yes, even the TSA people. It's not a fun job.

#88373 - 03/15/07 12:41 AM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: MartinFocazio]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Now why do you poo poo checking bags? I've not experienced any real problems as yet checking any of mine. It does help if you have baggage with an integral TSA lock on them, such as my Samonsite hard side, but has your experience really been that bad? I've flown probably 50 or so times in the last two years, domestic and international, and have yet to have a real problem with checked baggage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.