Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#90615 - 04/07/07 12:05 AM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: Craig]
Doc Offline
Stranger

Loc: Michigan
As a pilot,
here are a couple of suggestions.
Once you get through security, put your shoes back on
buy a bottle of water and just carry it in your "carry on"
go to the bathroom just prior to boarding the aircraft, especially if your nervous
If you get hungry pack some snacks, airlines are getting much tighter on what they have to offer so if you have a faorite food bring it.
Good luck and relax, enjoy the ride I would
Doc

#90642 - 04/07/07 05:45 AM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: Doc]
NYC2SoCal Offline
dedicated member

Just putting in my suggestions.. Everyone has pointed out the key items. I fly over 100K miles a year every year for quite some time. Shoot, my 2 year old logged 60K last year!

There's no reason to fear flying. I personally avoid checking in baggage unless I really need to (mainly if I fly international, I need to check) <- most countries are still "suits", and my trips are usually a minimum of 2 weeks). The reason why I avoid checked baggage is the risk of it getting lost (happened twice to me out of maybe 5 times traveling domestically <=maybe just bad luck). And 2, some airports like JFK take a very very very long time to pick up.

Slip on shoes - check

I actually remove all my metal stuff while waiting in the security line.. Everything goes in the jacket pockets or my bag. Empty all my pockets, watch, cell phone, etc -> into the jacket. (exception is your boarding pass and ID (drivers license or passport). The only thing I have on me at that point would be my clothes, glasses, and wedding band. Oh, please, don't be one of those people with the shirts with the metal buttons or whatnot. Cotton or wool are your friends, minimize the accessories.. Don't be Mr. T. wink

through the xray:
#1 - The rollerboard (the carry on suitcase)
#2 - Bin - Jacket and shoes
#3 - Bin - Laptop Computer
#4 - Laptop bag

I wait on the "RED" side of the metal detector until my laptop bag goes into the xray. I then walk through the detector to the "GREEN" side, oh, make sure you have your boarding pass ready to present. The reason I have the order above is that my laptop bag is usually scrutinized the most, and by having in that order, prevents someone from picking up my laptop while I go through the metal detector. Oh, I also make sure the person in front of me has cleared the detector cleanly, before putting items 3 and 4 on the conveyor.

You should be set with that. In regards to following what other people are doing, I would take that advice with caution - there are people, like you, who don't fly often. Copying them may not be beneficial. If I didn't fly often, I would probably copy the business traveller who is extremely antsy due to the slow line. wink <- Maybe that would be me.. wink

To Benjamin, so what is the longest non-stop commercial flight in the world? I've done 16 hour direct flights. Can't imagine anything longer than that direct. With connections, I have traveled 24 hours.

#90651 - 04/07/07 01:26 PM Re: Finally taking a trip -- on a plane (help!) [Re: NYC2SoCal]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: NYC2SoCal

I wait on the "RED" side of the metal detector until my laptop bag goes into the xray. I then walk through the detector to the "GREEN" side, oh, make sure you have your boarding pass ready to present. The reason I have the order above is that my laptop bag is usually scrutinized the most, and by having in that order, prevents someone from picking up my laptop while I go through the metal detector. Oh, I also make sure the person in front of me has cleared the detector cleanly, before putting items 3 and 4 on the conveyor.

A tactic I've used with lots of success. Agree strongly!

Originally Posted By: NYC2SoCal

To Benjamin, so what is the longest non-stop commercial flight in the world? I've done 16 hour direct flights. Can't imagine anything longer than that direct. With connections, I have traveled 24 hours.

The longest commercial flight is 18.5 hours from Newark to Singapore. http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-02-03-sia-flight_x.htm

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.