Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#90364 - 04/04/07 03:42 PM Re: Load bearing gear fashion advice needed [Re: Tom_L]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
A pistol belt w/ suspenders and the rest was the system I used for the longest time. On the belt, I carried two mag pouches in the front and one on the left side. One was a FAK, the other was everyday items like note a pad, etc. and the third had emergency/survival items. My fixed-blade knife was on the right. Two canteens, one over each hip pocket. One canteen cup. Compass pouch on one shoulder strap and an angle-head flashlight on the other. The butt pack contained a poncho, extra socks, food and anything else bulky.

The beauty of it was that you could get at anything except the butt pack on the move and without taking it off. And then, your buddy could get something from the butt pack for you. During GSAR (Ground Search & Rescue) training, we literally lived in our gear for a solid week. It didn't catch on low-hanging branches, get jammed between two close-set trees or knock over the guy standing next to you if you turn suddenly like a framed pack does.

Once I somehow ended up at a Boy Scout event where we had a certain packing list of gear to carry and we went around to different stations where we had to make a fire and boil water, tie a knot, etc. Every time we needed an item, I would have it out before everyone else's packs hit the ground. By the way, I never got the packing list, I was just carrying my normal load-out.

But as Tom_L said, ammo pouches are designed for storing ammo, not first aid kits.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#90391 - 04/04/07 07:00 PM Re: Load bearing gear fashion advice needed [Re: Tom_L]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I actually find MOLLE to be more adaptable, simply because the ALICE clips didn't migrate well to other sizes of belts, not to mention got too cold in winter and got too hot in summer and dug into you 365 days a year if you were putting them on a normal belt. And they won't even go around the thick cowhide I wear around my middle every day.

MOLLE and MALICE on the other hand, you just turn it into a belt loop and away you go. And if you are using a pack or vest with MOLLE webbing, it is a lot more stable becuase you interlace the carrier and pouch. With ALICE gear, when I tried vests, it just felt like the pouch was hanging there and it was always bouncing. The pouches on my MAV on the other hand are on there SOLID when you lace the webbing together properly, they feel like they aren't some modular, cobbled together thing, and they don't sway around unless I've got way too small a load in the pouch.

Now, that being said, I'm not fan of SDS- thier quality is a little sketchy. But when you start talking about the quality manufacturers (SpecOps, Tactical Tailor, TAG, Eagle, HSGI, Emdom) it beats not only the issue MOLLE but also the issue ALICE gear like a drum.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.