Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#903 - 07/09/01 11:56 AM Chris's Adventure
NAro Offline
Addict

What a well written and instructive article, Chris. (And your analysis, too Doug). As I was reading the opening moments, I had a deja vu experience of sorts:<br><br>Have you noticed (I have, particularly in my recent misadventures) that early-on there was an "assertive opportunity" to decline, to correct, to insist on some changes, etc. I didn't want to be a "sissy", a "whiner", "old lady" etc., so AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGMENT, I went on with the plan. And there were problems.<br><br>I often wonder if the best survival tool I could develop would be the strength to tell my comrade "No.. heck no... not unless we do xyz... count me out!" I wish Chris had been running the show from the start.<br><br>

#904 - 07/09/01 03:57 PM Re: Chris's Adventure
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Kind words. I feel much like the Generals planning for the 'last war.' I immediately ordered two G.I. 5qt. bladder canteens. I sold all firearms less one,and am shopping VHF handhelds.My fresh and saltwater fishing kits arrived, just in time for a jaunt to the desert! I will be attending a desert skills course out Doug's way next season. I would be remiss not to give credit to this site.Most of my training is well over 20 years old. My kit has benefited with a significant upgrade in material. IE. we were taught to wash marine stings and soak in hot water. The Sawyer extractor I discovered here and some precious tetracycline and pain meds quite probably saved Jeremy. Im just glad I held back on a $250 knife and spent $50 on a SRK by Cold Steel (which never left it's sheath). the money saved paid for CPR and First Aid recertification and a overdue upgrade of my premium down sleeping bag!<br><br>

#905 - 07/10/01 03:27 AM Re: Chris's Adventure
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Chris,<br><br>Thanks for your kind words about ETS. That's the sort of feedback and experience that helps make the effort worthwhile. And, again, thanks for sharing for everyone's benefit and thanks for answering all those pesky emailed questions.<br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#906 - 07/10/01 03:33 AM Re: Chris's Adventure
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I think that this is a common experience. I hear it often from those who have found themselves in situations. I think such "gut feelings" are worth considerable consideration. Our subconscious often puts together the pieces of the puzzle for us, we just don't always pay attention and we probably ought to at a minimum, bring such feeling out into the open for rational discussion before proceeding. As noted, a little paranoia is healthy and part of the survival instinct.<br><br>Doug Ritter<br>Editor<br>Equipped To Survive
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#907 - 07/10/01 01:13 PM Re: Chris's Adventure
Anonymous
Unregistered

I particularly liked that Chris's experience shows that survival is not always in a foreign country, or an end of the world type of scenario. A simple camping trip to a lightly traveled area can go awry.<br><br>From the information shared, Chris did a fine job of handling the situation. The remarks about the PFD and the boat handler echo the looks I get from strangers when they see me walking around with a small fanny pack. The looks say, "What could he possibly have in that pack that he would need it with him all the time". My family has come to expect me to pull out solutions to inconveniences before they become problems.<br><br>Little warning bells started going off in my head as soon as the article mentioned "the supplies were to follow". That is a sure sign that you need to have some "carry on" luggage and supplies. Fortunately in this case, Chris had made preparations and was able to provide good leadership skills.<br><br>Congratulations on leading others through a difficult experience. I hope the others from this experience are adding to their survival supplies as well.<br><br>

#908 - 07/10/01 02:28 PM Re: Chris's Adventure
Anonymous
Unregistered

A day after reading the article I still can't believe the event leader sent the radio with the other gear and separate from the party . I guess that just proves you can't have faith that planning and leadership are competent. The events that led to this survival situation had nothing to do with the kind of uncontrallable 'bad luck' events we usually associate with them such as weather, disaster, mechanical breakdown, getting lost, etc. This situation was caused purely by inept administration of the logistics and a lack of contingency planning by the leader. I guess 'leadership risk' or 'human error/incompetence' is another area to consider when gathering survival equipment and planning for an event.<br><br>It reminds me of the tourists in Malaysia who boarded a ferry that sunk in calm open water and left them swimming for their survival in the sea for a day and a night. They had a right to expect and probably assumed that the vessel had been maintained in a seaworthy condition, was not overloaded, and had adequate and accessible liferafts and PFD's and that these basic requirements were enforced by government officials. Again, a survival situation caused by error in human judgement in the form of the ferry owner's disregard for safety. <br><br>

#909 - 07/10/01 05:35 PM Re: Chris's Adventure
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A SAS Flickbook and incomplete pocket tin holding quality essentials was waiting for Bonnie when we returned. One of the manufacturers listed on site mailed a new unit, gratis upon learning about this incident. I've actually simplified my dedicated rucksack. My Puukko and Ulu knives are old friends,but hardly neccessary. We small knife advocates can get silly too! The ephemeral boundary between Nature and our huge tobacco tins called cities is the most dangerous. Two teenage boys died of exposure in the parking lot of Magic Mountain amusement park a few years ago.Again ,a simple communication breakdown left them helpless. Jeremy just called this morning,in tears over the boy in Florida attacked by the shark. So I guess a tin will be in the mail today.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.