Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#90170 - 04/02/07 01:05 AM Re: Dietz Hurricane Lanterns [Re: 91gdub]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
An aside (spiced with rant):

When car camping, I like the quality of light produced by candles and hurricane lanterns. They are unobtrusive and fit with the landscape, the last colours of the day. I can also gaze at the sky unimpeded. I abhor the blazing white-gas monstrosity three campsites away, too often wrought by obnoxious and thoughless buffoons who let them run all night. (Yes, I rant, but this has happened many times. Leave your light pollution in the city. Oh, for a slingshot.)

I often don't bother with a fire, since I can build one at home any time I want. (This changes of course when there's a female contingent.) Also, a fire tricks my internal thermostat into thinking I'm cold when I'm really not. A candle or oil lantern gives me the psychological comfort of a fire, somehow, even though I can't be bothered with one otherwise. It also keeps me from bumping into trees and tripping on roots.

End of aside (rant).

Edited by dougwalkabout (04/02/07 01:08 AM)

#90257 - 04/03/07 03:34 AM Re: Dietz Hurricane Lanterns [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Walking through Wally-World today, I noticed about five different varieties of LED lanterns. Has anybody tried any of these?

#90264 - 04/03/07 12:00 PM Re: Dietz Hurricane Lanterns [Re: dougwalkabout]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well i have had a led lantern, but sold it. (it was to heavy to lug around in mine pack) They are well, very easy to use, give more light than a hurrican lantern, but less than a gasoline one. Also the light is a bit too white and slightly blue-ish. It just doesn't give the same feel, like a real flame. It does have very good controls.

#90537 - 04/06/07 04:47 AM Re: Dietz Hurricane Lanterns [Re: Tjin]
LongLook Offline
stranger

A quick comment on the stove:
I would buy one that supports the cannister at the base and spreads out more to support a pot better. I am not sure about the brands you have in France. My suggestion would be an MSR windpro stove. If you end up buying liquid fuel lanterns than an MSR whisper lite international would be a great choice. The stove can run on everything from white gas to jet fuel, or alcohol.

#93859 - 05/07/07 02:43 AM Re: Lanterns .. [Re: frenchy]
kharrell Offline
Typical Survival Victim

My Buddy has several of these in his cabin. I just picked one up in case of power outage. $7 at Walmart.

#93869 - 05/07/07 05:24 AM Re: Lanterns .. [Re: kharrell]
Evan Offline
Engineer

Loc: IL
I picked up a couple of these Energizer model FL452WRBP(http://www.opticsplanet.net/energizer-weather-ready-folding-nichia-led-lantern-d-batteries.html)LED based lanterns from Home Depot over the weekend. I liked these from a safety standpoint - no flame. They also have a 'long' runtime. Something on the order of 240+ hours! These run on 'D' batteries, but they are commonly available and I've got enough on hand for 3 sets of changes. The batteries have at least a 5 year storage life and if you get fresh ones they should be good for around 7 years on the shelf (stored in a cool place).

Evan

#93903 - 05/07/07 03:34 PM Re: Lanterns .. [Re: Evan]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I have a 3 candle lantern and a one candle candle lantern and prefer the light they put out. I also have a small River Rock 3 AA LED lantern that is light and bright for its size. I also don't really like the color of LED lights, but for just needing light to find something or do something (not relaxing)it works good.

Bona Na Croin

#94304 - 05/10/07 06:22 PM Re: Lanterns .. [Re: wolf]
Chuck Offline
Stranger

Loc: Summerville South Carolina
I have several Coleman lanterns, and a couple of led lamps for nightlights. If you really want to light things up try a Petromax lantern. They were designed to burn any flamable liquid, put out 500cp and are built like a tank. They can be a bit tricky to adjust but once you get it right they are the brightest lamp I have ever seen. If you actually read the instructions adjusting them is no problem, otherwise you can spend hours trying to light them without success.
I paid over $100 for my first one. The second one was a gift, but cost about $50. Shop around for a good price. It is worth having at least one of these around when the lights go out.
The only real drawback is that I would never consider lighting one of these indoors. They use what is basically a built in blowtorch to get things started. Once started they run great.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.