Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#89295 - 03/24/07 12:32 AM Re: Lanterns .. [Re: frenchy]
Fabio Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brasília, Brazil
Hello Frenchy,

why not a small solar panel (20w at least), a regulator, a small(7ah) gell cell battery and a led or fluorescent lamp? I have this setup at home. It seems to work forever....

Fabio

#89390 - 03/25/07 01:37 AM Re: Lanterns .. [Re: Fabio]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
I have no balcony to set the panel up.
Maybe keeping it indoors would work... in summer time.
During winter months, the sun does not get high enough to shine over the other buildings to reach my windows long enough.

#89468 - 03/25/07 10:45 PM Re: Lanterns .. [Re: frenchy]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
I have my old Coleman standby...but it's relegated to garage storage as is the fuel. LED lanterns are much more safe, easier to use (just flick a switch), last a long time, and you can find them in just about any battery configuration you want...though I prefer AA batteries. I don't worry about using them in a house, tent, car, etc. The ones I use are roughly 5.5" talland 2.25" wide at the widest part (the base). Metric = 14cm x 5.2cm. They use 3 AA batteries and contain 4 LEDs. They're light and pack well just about anywhere. But there are all sorts of LED models.

On the subject of stoves, I prefer alcohol...like your Trangia. They have little to no problems (depends on how cold) and the fuel is not as dangerous, you can find it anywhere...even a liquor cabinet if needed... and comes in recycleable containers. The fuel also doesn't smell bad. That said, I've see some propane burners I am considering for home use...I'm just not sold on them yet.

I also have an MSR whisperlite multi-fuel stove in the garage...somewhere. <grin>

BTW, like CANOEDOGS, I have used coleman lanterns extensively. I used to live 8 miles fromm the nearest road up in the Rocky Mts. I only had coleman lanterns for light at night...even in the cabin. They're built to last and handy as anything. My grandfather pulled one out of flood debris 15-20 years ago, cleaned it up, replaced the long-gone globe, and I've been using it ever since. It used to run all night 3 nights a week for a couple of years while I spent all weekends fishing. But truthfully...these days in a house I like the size and quiet of LEDs.

BTW CANOEDOGS, what is the lantern cooking attachment actually called? I like the multi-purpose attachment...good to have around if you're burning fuel anyway!

Edited by yeti (03/25/07 10:54 PM)

#89809 - 03/29/07 03:19 PM Re: Lanterns .. [Re: yeti]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
I use Coleman propane lanterns while camping and have used them a few times when the lights were out at home. I've had mine for at least 15 years. Very easy to use (indoors I crack a window for ventilation just in case). Propane bottles are a bit pricey but every once in a while I find them for a decent price and always keep a few around as spares.
While camping in colder weather I find they burn more fuel.
Last year I was given 2 Dietz Hurricane lanterns. Haven't used them yet. My plan for them is to use Citronella in them while summer camping to help keep the bugs away.

#89814 - 03/29/07 03:36 PM Re: Lanterns .. [Re: 91gdub]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Interesting that you should mention the Dietz hurricane lanterns. I picked up several of these (No. 8, Air Pilot) on a post-Y2K blowout.

These are clearly meant for use, not decoration. The quality of construction is far, far superior to the cheapo Chinese lanterns you normally see. Also, the base is roughly 8" across, so they're much more stable.

The only source I know of for Dietz lanterns is Lee Valley Tools.

#90028 - 03/31/07 01:05 PM Dietz Hurricane Lanterns [Re: dougwalkabout]
91gdub Offline

Can I use the citronella oil that is used in Tiki torches in my Dietz lantern? Would be using it outdoors while summer camping.

#90045 - 03/31/07 04:04 PM Re: Dietz Hurricane Lanterns [Re: 91gdub]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Citronella lamp oil will work in a hurricane lantern, though it's not perfect. It won't burn as brightly as kerosene, and it will produce more soot. That soot seems to be more difficult to remove.

In a "works-for-a-living" lantern, I wouldn't hesitate.

But I would avoid using it in an antique/heirloom lantern.

#90089 - 04/01/07 02:59 AM Re: Lanterns .. [Re: dougwalkabout]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

The only source I know of for Dietz lanterns is Lee Valley Tools.

Just looking around an little bit and found that Nitro-Pak.com
has them also.

Dietz Lanterns & Other Lanterns

smitty

#90108 - 04/01/07 07:58 AM Re: Lanterns .. [Re: smitty]
LED Offline
Veteran

i know this probably isn't what you were looking for but i use the UCO Candlelier Lantern with (3) 8-10 hour candles that can be burned at the same time for maximum light (or one at time) for long burn time. i've used one camping for the last 10 years and it puts out a suprisingly good amount of light. especially if you put a shiny aluminum/metal reflector on one side to reflect the light. it also works as a great way to keep water almost boiling because its made so that you can set small pots/cups on the top.

http://www.rei.com/product/624320

i don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but the Petromax pressurized lanterns look very nice and burn many types of fuel (kerosene, alcohol, etc.)

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/lanternstove.htm

#90148 - 04/01/07 09:05 PM Re: Dietz Hurricane Lanterns [Re: dougwalkabout]
91gdub Offline

Thanks, the Dietz lanterns I was given are ""works-for-a-living" lanterns nothing fancy but seems like good ones. I have 2 of them new in the box. While I will be using them as a light source while summer camping I'm also interested in being able to keep away some of the "state birds of the Garden State".

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Citronella lamp oil will work in a hurricane lantern, though it's not perfect. It won't burn as brightly as kerosene, and it will produce more soot. That soot seems to be more difficult to remove.

In a "works-for-a-living" lantern, I wouldn't hesitate.

But I would avoid using it in an antique/heirloom lantern.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.