Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90027 - 03/31/07 12:34 PM My first PSK
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Hi everyone,
Looking for feedback on my first PSK. Images below, hopefully. Altoid tin for size comparison only. But just in case:

A wally-world "fish bait" container (with belt clip).
6 brass safety pins
1 ea. Lg, Med, Sm. sewing needles
about 12 ft of 20lbs strength fishing line
2 swivels
4 weights
6 hooks (4 sm, 2 lg)
4 sparklite tinders (crammed in)
1 lighter
10 wax-dipped safety matches
5 lifeboat matches
Mirror
4 bandaids
8 butterfly bandages
2 packets of first aid cream
Whistle (soon to be a Fox 40)
BSB saw
3 ft duct tape
1 button compass
4 batteries (in electrical tape)
1 2-LED Headlamp (Tikka? I forget)
2 Exacto Knife blades (1 curved, 1 straight)
2 1-quart plastic zip-loc bags
1 carabiner
12ft 160lbs test carp line
6ft waxed dental floss

I'd like to get some brass wire, but can't find any in town. Also, some HD tin foil; just recently found that, but can't squeeze it in! While camping, I have a knife and FAK on my belt at all times when my pack isn't on me.
Thanks.

Attachments
7-PHOT0052a.jpg

8-PHOT0055a.jpg

#90030 - 03/31/07 01:11 PM Re: My first PSK [Re: MDinana]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
The main thing that I don't see are some water-purification tablets.

Also, if you already carry a FAK on the belt, do you need more bandages and FA-cream in your PSK? If you would remove them, you could fit some HD aluminium foil in there.

Another thing you could fit in there is a magnifying-glass.

I assume you carry some form of shelter on your person?

Nice PSK!!

#90032 - 03/31/07 02:02 PM Re: My first PSK [Re: JIM]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

before i comment, i have a few questions.

-For which enviorment is this PSK designed for?
-What is your experians with survival equipment/outdoors skills?

#90034 - 03/31/07 02:20 PM Re: My first PSK [Re: MDinana]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
Neat case, though it doesn't look water proof. Are you putting the items IN the ziplock bag(s)? so as to reduce their chance of getting wet?

I second the idea of putting in some kind of water purification; never hurts to be thorough and it is an item of importance.

The LED hedband is a nice touch though it may be a bit large for a PSK; do you carry a small LED job on your keychain as EDC as well?

I notice alot of fishing stuff in the kit, is this a recreational PSK? smile

Personally I'd try to make some room to include:
- Emergency blanket
- Water purification tabs (mp1 work good for a kit like this)
- HD foil

You might consider putting the 'vitals' in this kit and adding a fanny pack or something with the niceties in it (such as a steel cup, the led hedband, fishing kit, etc).

Just my 2 cents wink
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#90036 - 03/31/07 02:37 PM Re: My first PSK [Re: MDinana]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've looked at this box several times. The clip is rather loose, not in terms of how it's attached, but how tight it is to the body of the box.

Something for water purification.

Offload the duct tape to the outside of the case, by wrapping around it sidewise. This will also make it more secure.

I'd also find some tiny zipper bags and use it to carry those matches- that case isn't terrifically waterproof. (Try the crafts section.

I'd replace the headlamp with something a little smaller like a Photon or a Solitaire. I assume that is what the batteries are for? If so, I'd carry ONE (1) spare set of batteries, with that being a single battery, if rated battery life was under 12 hours. But that's just me. I'd also make sure that the batteries in there were brand new in both cases, and use something that can't be turned on accidentally.

Your mirror looks a little busted up. At the very least I would tape over the broken edge, if not replace it. A kit this small, you might even think about a mirror cut from a rearview repair kit. (Automotive section of Walmart.)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#90042 - 03/31/07 03:30 PM Re: My first PSK [Re: MDinana]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
When I was a kid, I prowled the boonies wearing a WWII era GI pistol belt, canteen, and first aid pouch. Many years later, before I went to a hydration pack, I did basically the same, with some newer equipment. Canteen pouch with ALICE clips (less flopping around than the old wires), and a new version first aid kit. I pretty much gutted the kit and inserted my own stuff, turning it into a combo FAK and PSK. With the ALICE clips you can wear one on pretty much any belt, if you like belt stuff...

#90044 - 03/31/07 03:46 PM Re: My first PSK [Re: MDinana]
Anonymous
Unregistered

MDinana - My First PSK

I find the size of the altoids tin just a little to small. How about a BCB mini mess tin. This is an all aluminium (won't rust) and has a roll closure waterproof lid and allows you to boil at least 250ml of water.

The 20lb fishing line should be increased to at least 15m or about 50 feet and a lighter line i.e. 12lb to compensate. Again increase the length of the stronger line.

The lighter should be removed and replaced with a Silva or Brunton model but kept outside the PSK and kept apart like the main Knife.

Replace with an Ultimate Survival Mirror - the one you have there does'nt have an aiming aid and will be more efficient.

A smaller Karibiner. That one looks a bit big for a PSK.

Add another 5 Lifeboat matches so you have 10 with all the matches stored in waxed cardboard.

Whistle - Try an Aluminium Lifeventure model -smaller form factor and fits better into the PSK rather than the plastic ones.

Replace you 2-led Headlamp for an Exped Solar and a Fenix AAA Cree flashlight with a Lithium AAA backup: both will be smaller than your current setup.

Button compass should be a Silva SERE luminous. You can see it in the dark and is much more reliable than the more common button compasses found elsewhere.

A space pen refill and a couple of sheets of waterproof paper A6 should be added.

The Equipped Survival instructions which are free from the equipped website should be included.

Stainless Steel wire is a bit easier to find and stronger - Try some MIG welding wire - come is a wide range of diameters

You should also have enough room to include the following.
1 Swedish firesteel Cadet model with plastic holder removed.
1 Ultimate Survival Wet Tinder. (keep in plastic airtight cover)
1 length of Hacksaw blade to fit.
3 Esbit Tabs and an Esbit Ti-wing stove.
A Fallknifen U2 folding knife or British Army Lock Folding Knife. (used as a backup)
2 small or 1 medium Aloksak bags.
A dozen or so Katadyn MP1 tablets.
4-6 Ibuprofen Tablets. (Ketosis can give you a headache)
and as many waxed cotton balls as you can get to fit.

Rap the Duct tape around the Space Pen and then wrap 10m of Multistrand Dyneema cored 300Lb Flexifoil Hydroline around the BCB Minimess tin.

Edited by bentirran (03/31/07 03:51 PM)

#90055 - 03/31/07 05:51 PM Re: My first PSK [Re: ]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: bentirran

Whistle - Try an Aluminium Lifeventure model -smaller form factor and fits better into the PSK rather than the plastic ones.

I would suggest a better whistle than the novelty key chain variety ; also a metal whistle is not ideal under all condiditons.
Metal whistles can stick to your lips in freezing temps.

Stick with a plastic whistle that is designed for emergency / survival signaling. These types have been tested and approved by SOLAS and the US Coast Guard for this type of use; Storm, Acme and Fox 40 are good ones.

#90060 - 03/31/07 09:08 PM Re: My first PSK [Re: billym]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted By: bentirran

I would suggest a better whistle than the novelty key chain variety ; also a metal whistle is not ideal under all condiditons.
Metal whistles can stick to your lips in freezing temps.

Stick with a plastic whistle that is designed for emergency / survival signaling. These types have been tested and approved by SOLAS and the US Coast Guard for this type of use; Storm, Acme and Fox 40 are good ones.

I know aluminum conducts heat away 100 times faster than air, but as with everything, common sense is all that is required. If someone puts an aluminum whistle which is at -30 degrees Celsius in their mouth and it sticks to the lips then surely that is probably the best place for whistle to end up anyway (visions of Dumb and Dumber come to mind) as the idiot using the whistle shouldn't probably have a PSK anyway. He might eat the Esbit tablet, burn his fingers with the hot part of his lighter, ask where the safety razor is - ask why does the shaving mirror have a hole in the middle and god forbid wonders what he should do with their condom in a survival situation especially at -30 degrees.

Although the whistles you mention are SOLAS and US Coast Guard approved and the aluminum Lifeventure model isn't, this is because the models you have mentioned will float. They are not any louder or anymore functional. The main disadvantages are that they are relatively large at take up a lot of space in a compact PSK. There is always the problem that a whistle may be left out of the PSK because of the size constraints of the PSK container. Traditionally, whistles have not been a part of a PSK. I would rather have one, albeit aluminum which is roughly 1/3 the size, rather than none at all in my PSK.

Update (edited) - The whistle is also referred to as a Lifesystems Mountain Whistle. - Recommended by the Mountain Leader Training Board (UK) as an essential item to be carried in the hills.

Edited by bentirran (03/31/07 09:28 PM)

#90062 - 03/31/07 09:38 PM Re: My first PSK [Re: MDinana]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Mainly the midwest (forest, water, hills). If I go back to CA, I can change what's needed for the Sierra's. First camping at 6 years old. Did about 8 years in BSA (eagle scout), something like 500 miles and 90+ days "backpacking." That was 10 years ago, and I haven't really kept track since then. At least 4 trips over 5 days in duration.

I'm going to be ordering a mini Fox40 soon, as well as a DR photon light. I think it's a good comment that my current light is too big; plus, by taking 4 batteries, that's a lot of unused space.

Bandaids replaced by the foil? Good idea. Also the idea about wrapping the matches in a small ziplock. I don't think I'll ziplock the entire package, simply because there's nothing really to get super wet, except the light. BTW, I did find a container with a fairly snug clip, I just had to dig through the display box for a while!

The mirror is a little busted; I had to cut it to size. It's also covered right now with a saran wrap-like product, hence the haziness. The fishing stuff is only cuz I LOSE tons of it! So I need the extra stuff. Good idea to increase the length; shouldn't be a problem. Also, about wrapping the duct tape around the outside.

Thanks so far!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 207 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.