Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#89217 - 03/23/07 06:50 AM Re: Water Consumption - Recommendation vs. Reality [Re: benjammin]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

In the medieval era alcoholic drinks were widely consumed because the available water was usually not safe to drink. This was especially a problem in the relatively crowded urban areas where the fresh water supply was contaminated with human and animal waste. In North Europe people may have consumed as much as a gallon of beer per day. Wine was also very popular but for the most part it was dilluted heavily with water. At this time chlorine or iodine treatment was not available so we need to keep this in a proper perspective.

#89250 - 03/23/07 05:30 PM Re: Water Consumption - Recommendation vs. Reality [Re: benjammin]
asfried1 Offline

If any of you are interested, here is a link to a well researched scientific review of some "common knowledge" regarding water consumption.

http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h2/pdf/8x8.pdf

#89383 - 03/25/07 01:10 AM Re: Water Consumption - Recommendation vs. Reality [Re: asfried1]
Molot Offline
Stranger

Loc: USA
yes water

#89476 - 03/26/07 12:18 AM Re: Water Consumption - Recommendation vs. Reality [Re: Molot]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Just because you drink over 1 gallon a day now does not mean you will not survive on less for a very long period of time wink

I think the reason not many suggest 5 gallons per-person per-day is they don't want to overwhelm people and make them think it's not possible to be prepared.

Personally I live near a Lake and multiple rivers (within 5 minute walk) so water is my LEAST concern. I do however get 5gallon jugs delivered weekly so I've always got atleast 15 or 20 gallons on hand.

#89480 - 03/26/07 01:05 AM Re: Water Consumption - Recommendation vs. Reality [Re: Todd W]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I gather 1 US ounce is 29.57ml, so 139 ounces is about 4.1 litres a day.

That sounds like a lot to me. I drink about 1.5 litres a day. None of that is water; it's either coffee, milk or a blackcurrent drink.

I do wonder whether you are, indeed, addicted to tea and coke and whether it's the addiction which is causing you to drink so much. Which isn't to say tea or coke are not good sources of water, just that they may be causing you to drink more than you need.

#89567 - 03/27/07 01:06 AM Re: Water Consumption - Recommendation vs. Reality [Re: Brangdon]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I'd add that diet can make a big difference too. Junk fast food and ready-meals can have bad stuff in it, but so can posh restaurant food. The restaurant people mainly care about it tasting good so they put in loads of fat and salt. If you prepare your own food from fresh ingredients you know what you are getting.

For example, last night I had a microwave pizza, and I also had a litre of pineapple juice with it. That meal caused me to roughly double my fluid intake for the day, to deal with it. I drink more after Chinese food, too. If you habitually eat out or eat ready-meals, that can contribute to your needing to drink a lot.

#89612 - 03/27/07 02:00 PM Re: Water Consumption - Recommendation vs. Reality [Re: Brangdon]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I drink almost no sodas, and drink either water or milk with meals, or the occasional glass of wine/beer. I have no desire to dress up my water with anything. I like water, and have never gotten bored with the taste. I also live within 2 miles of an artesian spring with the best tasting water I've ever had. Costs a dime a gallon, and my wife and I usually have about 35 gal on for drinking only. we fill up other containers with tap water for bathing, cooking, washing, etc. and keep about 40 gal on hand for that, not to mention the hot water tank, bath tubs, and sinks that we'd fill up if we needed to.

#89632 - 03/27/07 06:56 PM Re: Water Consumption - Recommendation vs. Reality [Re: philip]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
I think a better more accurate estimate could be inferred thru water needs when backpacking.
In my experience backpacking when you must provide water for all your needs including re-hydrating food then 3 gal per day minimum is a better estimate,and this only allows for minimal clean-up. My wife sends me straight to the shower when I get home.
The military allows something like 5 gal per day when you are working in a hot dry environment.

#89836 - 03/29/07 05:54 PM Re: Water Consumption - Recommendation vs. Reality [Re: Brangdon]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
I'd add that diet can make a big difference too. Junk fast food and ready-meals can have bad stuff in it, but so can posh restaurant food. The restaurant people mainly care about it tasting good so they put in loads of fat and salt. If you prepare your own food from fresh ingredients you know what you are getting.

For example, last night I had a microwave pizza, and I also had a litre of pineapple juice with it. That meal caused me to roughly double my fluid intake for the day, to deal with it. I drink more after Chinese food, too. If you habitually eat out or eat ready-meals, that can contribute to your needing to drink a lot.

That's a great point. If I happen to grab a cheeseburger and salty fries for lunch one day I'll notice I am much thirstier.

I think a lot of people (myself included) are probably walking around every day in a state of dehydration. I've tried to get away from soda whenever possible and substitute iced tea, juice, Gatorade, or water. Aside from a cup or two of coffee in the morning. Can't go without that! grin

#89855 - 03/29/07 08:02 PM Re: Water Consumption - Recommendation vs. Reality [Re: kharrell]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: kharrell
If urine is not clear you are dehidrated.

Actually, it's not necessary to keep your urine crystal clear. The color will vary with the volume of urine. You could be normally hydrated and still have colored urine if the volume is not that large. Sure, if you drink more water than your body actually needs, urine volume goes way up and your urine will appear clear, but in that case, you're wasting precious water. That's fine in every day life, and probably a healthy habit, but a waste when water is scarce. Oh, and of course, diuretics can increase urine volume, resulting in clear urine, but it's actually dehydrating you. Actually, I find that very cold weather also acts as a diuretic for me (it's called thermal diuresis) which can result in clear urine even though I'm not drinking any extra fluids.

The opposite would be a more accurate indicator. If the color is dark, then I would think about drinking more, although that still isn't necessarily dehydration. And various medications can cause dark urine regardless of hydration state, so that's something to be aware of.

Personally, I think the best indicators would be to gauge how you feel and also to weigh yourself. If you're losing weight during the day, then you're becoming dehydrated, particularly if you're experiencing the typical symptoms like headaches and cramping. Of course, high temperatures, low humidity, heavy exertion and other factors may require you to drink more to stay ahead of the dedration curve, so to speak, but for normal folk, weighing yourself will work. Actually, I'm curious if those members who are drinking like a couple gallons per day, if they are consistently gaining weight over the course of each day versus their morning weight. If not, then that's quite a high water requirement that surprises me, for non-athletes.

That said, I'm glad you mentioned the danger of too MUCH water. More of an issue for athletes, generally, but an important point. I made a long post about that a while ago, if anyone's interested in reading more on that topic and how "common wisdom" has changed over the years.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 260 Guests and 130 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.