Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8983 - 09/09/02 10:00 PM Fit of new hiking boots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just received a pair of Cabela's Perfekt hikers by Meindle. My first pair of real hiking boots. I put them on for about an hour, just around the house to see how they fit and would feel wearing them a little. What I've found is that they seem to fit tight across the foot (especially the toe box) and that there is some ankle discomfort when laced up. Not serious discomfort but I'm not on a 15 mile hike either. A couple of questions are, should the boots cause discomfort on the ankle right away like that? It seems to be either the fold of the tongue or the stitching. It could also be the metal lace hooks. Will they loosen up enough to cease the discomfort, will I get used to it, or should they go back because they don't fit me right? Another thing about the fit is the tightness around the toes. The toe box seems shallow. I can wiggle my toes in wool sox, but don't know if I would want to put a second pair of socks on. Would a boot 1/2 size larger be better? They are actually very comfortable out of the box except for these couple of things. Will they feel better on the foot after breakin. I hear that feet swell some after a long hike and if that's the case, these may be too small. I bought these because of the excellent arch support that they offer and it's needed with my collapsing arches from years of wearing bad boots and walking a ton of miles in them carrying a ton of weight. Oh, I have a narrow heel, so a wider size isn't an option really. Have had problems getting shoes to fit my tired feet comfortably lately and these feel better than all the rest. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#8984 - 09/10/02 12:35 AM Re: Fit of new hiking boots?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Longbow,<br><br>I have found that the toe box fit is the most important. If the toe box seems small and tight now, it will seem that way forever.<br><br>Ankle fit, at least for me, seems to change more and change for the better as a boot starts to conform to my foot.<br><br>I looked at the boot on line and noticed the front lace loop on the toe. You could try and not use this loop and see if the toe box seems to fit better.<br><br>My opinion, is that the toe box fit is critical for comfort, and it will not change greatly with breakin. I would return for a higher volume toe box boot.<br><br>For about the same money, I have had good luck with Montrails and Vasque boots.

#8985 - 09/10/02 12:39 AM Re: Fit of new hiking boots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

when buying shoes they must fit! If you are buying by mail then don't be afraid to send them back. If you can buy them in a store but if you must buy through the mail then order a variety of sizes up and down wider and narrower than you think and try them all and then send back the ones you don't want. This allows you to truely get a good fit. I wouldn't expect them to get much more comfortable after breaking them in just much harder to return.

#8986 - 09/10/02 04:14 AM Re: Fit of new hiking boots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You definitely want room aroud the toes, with a snugger fit at the heel. If your feet are the least bit diffiuclt to fit, you would do well to go to a good store and get fitted there. Boots are too fundamental an item to cut corners.

#8987 - 09/14/02 03:51 AM Re: Fit of new hiking boots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, I wanted to thank those that responded to my thread. I followed your advice and sent the Meindles back to Cabelas. I was poking around in town and found a store in our area (18 miles from home) that just started carrying hiking boots. They carry Merrels, Hi-tec and Vasque. I must have tried on 40 different boots (didn't bother with hi-tec) and found that the Vasque boots fit well and were more comfortable out of the box. Lots of toe room and my heel didn't want to slide with most of them. The boot I'm thinking about is the Zephyr GTX by Vasque. Anyone have any experience with this boot? About the fit. They felt good with wool socks and there was a little room between toes and boot in size 11. In your experience, would you stay with the 11 or would you go with a boot a half size larger? Thanks again for you help!

#8988 - 09/14/02 12:16 PM Re: Fit of new hiking boots?
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I`d try both sizes with the socks I wear with them. When you compare them that way youŽll feel imediately which size really fits.

#8989 - 09/14/02 08:18 PM Re: Fit of new hiking boots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Longbow,<br>I am not an expert on shoes but I hope I can help.<br>Firstly from what material is are the boots made of? Leather stretches after walking them in. What I've been taught is to put your walking socks on together with your walking boots and then whilst they are on your feet put them in a bucket of water for half an hour. This makes them shape to your feet. Of course it only works if they are more or less the right size.<br>If they are leather boots then you might wan to read my post called "shoepolish v saddlewax".<br>Reinhardt

#8990 - 09/14/02 09:59 PM Re: Fit of new hiking boots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to hiking with proper footwear. Sorry for what seems like very simple/obvious questions. I've been told to buy them so they fit and to buy them a 1/2 size larger by those who I consider to be just as ignorant as myself in such matters and I thought I'd ask here and get the straight scoop. <br><br>reinhardt woets, I appreciate the info about wetting the leather. I'll check out your other thread as well. They are nubuck leather. I hate to buy a Chinese boot, but every American boot that I've received to try on or found to try on, for some reason didn't fit my foot well. The Vasque is very comfortable right out of the box and I know that once it's broken in that they will be even more comfortable and they are rated mid-duty which is all I really need for a hiker/backpacking boot. <br><br>Thanks for the responses so far.<br><br>

#8991 - 09/15/02 04:07 AM Re: Fit of new hiking boots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't wet any of the contemporary hiking boots in this fashion. Size them in the afternoon, wear the socks you will wear on the trail, fit them fairly snug in the heel and with about 3/8" to 1/2" room between the toes and the front of the boot. My experience with Vasque boots has been extremely good (Sundowner and Clarion models) - very minimum suffering in breaking them in.<br><br>Begin the break in process by wearig them around the house, to work etc. before thaking them out on the trail. Use them on short walks first before pushing them hard.<br><br>If by any chance they should loosen up after some use, simply insole a thicker insole (Spenco is my favorite). I usually replace the insole that comes with the boot with Spencos anyway.

#8992 - 09/15/02 07:48 PM Re: Fit of new hiking boots?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks hikerdon. I bought the Vasque Zephyr GTX boots in 11 1/2 and will break them in exactly as you described in your post. These boots are very comfortable right out of the box and if they do loosen up some later on, I'll check into getting another insole for them. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.