Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89604 - 03/27/07 08:39 AM Water Filters
LazyJoe Offline

Loc: Oregon
Here is a website about filtering methods-evaluations.

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/wpd/CompareDevices.aspx

kind of interesting (in it's own right).

Edited by LazyJoe (03/28/07 02:27 AM)

#89610 - 03/27/07 01:53 PM Re: Water Filters [Re: LazyJoe]
kmcrawford111 Offline
journeyman

Loc: NW Indiana
Thanks for the info. Just to let you know: the link you posted has an extra period at the end. You may want to edit it.

#89614 - 03/27/07 02:29 PM Re: Water Filters [Re: kmcrawford111]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...

#89629 - 03/27/07 06:19 PM Re: Water Filters [Re: LazyJoe]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
Hmmm...says that iodine treatment not effective agains Giardia or Crypto...so why am I carrying it again? MicroPut tablets would be good...but who wants to wait 4 hours for a drink. So I guess my Katadyn Hiker will do or I will boil it.

I just can't believe that the iodine is not effective against Giardia or Crypto...so why does the military still use that method?

#89637 - 03/27/07 07:49 PM Re: Water Filters [Re: Hghvlocity]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Giardia & Cryptosporidium are clearly a problem for those treating water.

Most water filters will screen out bacteria (think e. coli), but won't screen out viruses and the G & S cysts.

Iodine and regular chlorine bleach will kill bateria and viruses, won't destroy the G & S cysts.

Chorine dioxide (and its relatives ala Miox) will destroy bateria & viruses in 15 minutes, but can take four hours to destroy the Giardia & Cryptosporidum cysts. If you read Doug's section on water purification you'll see that 30 minutes of treatment is likely sufficient, unless you're dealing with near-frozen sewage.

Of course the downside with chemical treatments is that they work best if the "big chunks" of organic debris are removed (using a bandanna is better than nothing), and even then they won't remove the dead oraganic bits after treatment (just think of it as nutrient-rich soup).

From what I can find on the web, it sounds like the likelihood of being exposed to G & C in wild areas is actually pretty remote, mostly due to dilution of the source (it typically takes more than just one cyst to get you sick). The chance of viruses sounds like it is very small too. From what I can tell the biggest risk is bacteria, which is removed by most filters and chemical treatments.

I suspect the Army is mostly focusing on viruses and bacteria. I know that the Boy Scout policy is to treat with chlorine bleach, which means that they are also focusing on viruses and bacteria. If you think about it, ALL public pools and hot tubs (and most private ones) only treat with chlorine - again the focus on viruses and bacteria.

My plan:

For my family of four, I have several collapsible 1-liter Platypus bags and a Miox in the car kit. With extra batteries (tiny and VERY light weight) and a small amount of kosher salt, the Miox can treat something like 400 gallons of water. Given I carry a PLB in my car kit too, that should cover us just fine.

When out with the Scouts, I have a few Micropur tablets slipped into my Ritter PSP, and carry that in my personal kit, and I carry a 1-litter Nalgene bottle.

Ken

#89638 - 03/27/07 08:13 PM Re: Water Filters [Re: KenK]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: KenK
Giardia & Cryptosporidium are clearly a problem for those treating water.

Most water filters will screen out bacteria (think e. coli), but won't screen out viruses and the G & S cysts.

Gairdia and Cryptosporidium are larger than 2 micron and thus CAN be filtered out by many filters.
Some iodine resine based purifiers will have questionable results on Gairdia and Cryptosporidium, when they don't have a 2 micron or smaller filer medium. (like granulate based iodineresin/carbon filters/purifiers)

#89639 - 03/27/07 08:26 PM Re: Water Filters [Re: LazyJoe]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

This is also discussed on another site Make water safe to drink in this opinion boiling is really the only method that is surefire.

#89641 - 03/27/07 09:12 PM Re: Water Filters [Re: Hghvlocity]
obmeyer Offline

Loc: Fairfax County VA
The AF has gone to Micropur

#89647 - 03/27/07 11:01 PM Re: Water Filters [Re: LazyJoe]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
I've been looking for a filter for a couple of months, recently I found this one. Sawyer Water Purifier. It is supposed to physically remove viruses with out the aid of chemicals. The best I can tell, Sawyer released this sometime around the middle of 2006. So it's pretty new to the market. I've posted questions about this purifier on other sites but have yet to find anybody that has any experience with it.

Below is an article I found about the Sawyer Purifier.
Just Drink(TM) Water Purifier Essential For Hurricane Preparedness

So far the best price I've found is from Moontrail.com
$79.00 for a bottle, purifier, and faucet adapter.

smitty

#89661 - 03/28/07 02:09 AM Re: Water Filters [Re: smitty]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
The modular design is interesting, it appears to be an inline immersable filter that can connect through a tube to a bottle, bladder, or faucet.

It may be a good choice if it is mainly being used as a gravity filter or with a faucet, but I think the lack of a pump is a disadvantage. In my experience, using a bottle type filter causes you to drink less water, due to the effort it takes to squeeze water through. With this system you can't quickly fill a number of containers with water, unless you have access to a working faucet with sufficient pressure.

I personally think a reliable, field-cleanable, pump type filter, such as the MSR waterworks or the time tested katadyne pocket, is more versatile and useful for many situations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.