Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#89590 - 03/27/07 05:00 AM Trip to Scotland
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
My son (14) and I are going to Scotland for 12 days mid-July (guy trip), probably van camping. Dates and flights arranged, detailed plans in flux (ever planned a trip with a 14 yr. old?). Any must-sees, don’t-sees, tips, etc. welcomed. We will probably be in Glasgow and north. Any suggestions? Either PM me or on the forum. Thanks.

#89598 - 03/27/07 07:00 AM Re: Trip to Scotland [Re: marduk]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
If you are going into the countryside, bug repellant (penethrin based) and barrier nets (mozzie head net. The midges have to be seen to be believed. I was rock climbing just outside of Fort William in July. Had hiking trousers on, bloused onto boots for the approach. Stopped for a break. Looked down and the bottom of my trousers where green with midges.

The Scot's like Americans so you should have a good time.

There is also a very good whiskey shop in Fort William. Try the Loch Dhu (Black Whiskey.) Forget the Laphrag. Tastes like cats pi........

#89630 - 03/27/07 06:29 PM Re: Trip to Scotland [Re: marduk]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
MARDUK..
it's been some years since i was over to see family
in Glasgow but i would suggest that you try and get to the
islands off the west coast..

Edited by CANOEDOGS (03/27/07 06:30 PM)

#89640 - 03/27/07 08:59 PM Re: Trip to Scotland [Re: CANOEDOGS]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I envy you. Get lots of pics. I'd like to take a trip over to the UK sometime in the future....

#89715 - 03/28/07 06:26 PM Re: Trip to Scotland [Re: oldsoldier]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
I cant argue with your holiday venue, Scotland is God's country. If you are heading North from Glasgow, you are heading for the best bits. The roads get a bit emotional at that time of year though. Castles and historical sites are ten a penny and you will never see them all. I recommend you visit Eileen Donnan castle, you will recognise it as soon as you see it. (Watch "Highlander" for about 10 minutes.)

There are plenty of hills and mountains, anything over 3000ft is called a "Munro" There are some easy ones, and some right buggers.

If you need anything there are a few Scotsmen on the board, give us a shout if you need anything researched further.

edited to sort munro height. Doh.

Edited by Johno (03/29/07 11:25 AM)

#89742 - 03/28/07 11:26 PM Re: Trip to Scotland [Re: marduk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re Trip to Scotland

Scotland has some nice scenery and lots of history. The view from the top of Schiehallion (The Fairy Mountain) is quite nice. Its a an reasonably easy climb, lots of boulders at the top to give it a 'real' mountain feel. On a nice sunny day makes a great backdrop for a 'tourist' picture as you can see right across the whole of Scotland.

The 'Queens View of Loch Tummel' is quite nice, with Schiehallion in the background. (Actually the whole area Glen Lyon, Loch Earn and Loch Tay is quite nice, typical Perthshire Scenery)

As is Glen Affric - The Land that time forgot but with no dinosaurs except for the one at Loch Ness (A bit out of the way but worth a visit if you go Nessie Monster Hunting at Loch Ness)

Glencoe can be a little more rugged and brooding viewed here with some more typical weather.

As for Castles, if you like that kind of thing, the Eileen Donnan castle is very picturesque. Some other notable castles would be Edinburgh Castle and Princess Street Gardens, Stirling Castle, Scone Palace outside Perth,

Glamis Castle in Angus.

There actually to is many to list.
If you like Golf you'll think you have died and gone to heaven as the Open Championship is being held at Carnoustie Championship Golf Course during mid July. St Andrews is not to far away either. North of Edinburgh we have the equivalent of the San Fransisco Golden Gate Bridge called the Forth Railway Bridge. The Equivalent of the Eiffel Tower in Paris but a bit more useful.

As for searching for mythical creatures, Loch Ness is worth a visit, but stay away from Ben Macdui as it is haunted by a Big Grey Man!!.

If you need any specific info there are a few Scottish members on the Forum who can answer any of your questions.

Edited by bentirran (03/29/07 03:12 AM)

#89776 - 03/29/07 06:04 AM Re: Trip to Scotland [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
bogflogger Offline

Loc: London. Great Britain.
Head West Young Man!

There are stacks of places to go, once you get North of Glasgow.

Even the main "A"roads are pretty scenic, but watch where you are going, Tourists can and DO drive into the Lochs or into Roadside Cliffs, with monotonous regularity!

A Couple of corrections:

1. Munroe's are Mountains that are over 3000 ft (914.4 M) and are mostly Serious undertakings, so if you intend doing any, make sure you know what you are about!

http://www.sol.co.uk/d/dickwall/munroes.htm

2. Laphroaig does not "taste like Cat's P***" it is the Nectar of the God's!

Edited by bogflogger (03/29/07 06:33 AM)

#89780 - 03/29/07 11:25 AM Re: Trip to Scotland [Re: bogflogger]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
My mistake, whats a thousand feet between friends.

#89784 - 03/29/07 12:56 PM Re: Trip to Scotland [Re: Johno]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

What are the odds of playing Saint Andrews? smile

#89792 - 03/29/07 01:42 PM Re: Trip to Scotland [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Trip to Scotland

Home to fine whisky.

The finer Scotch Whiskies are referred to as Single Malt Whiskies, then lower in the pecking order there are the blended whiskies which has lower quality grain Whisky mixed with some Malt whisky. At the very bottom is the grain Whisky.

In General the finest Malts are then classified into which area they are from, as the ingredients used (especially the water used) to make the whisky will leave some very distinctive flavours. I'm afraid there is a lot of snobbery when it comes to finest malts just as there is in fine wines. The Malt whiskies are marketed by the brewing companies for their exclusivity much like designer perfumes hence a lot of the finest whiskies are extremely expensive.

The two main famous types of malt whisky are made in Speyside and in Islay. Laphroaig is an Islay malt and has an acquired taste because of the 'peaty' flavour. 'Peaty' overtones are quite common for the Islay malts.

The Speyside malts are generally cleaner and lighter in flavour, some may say more bland, some may say more subtle but again that is subjective.

Of course there are many more areas in Scotland where Whisky is distilled. There are highland and lowland malts. There are some really nice Whiskies out there. But don't fall into the trap of thinking if it is more expensive then the better it will be. Probably the reason for the 'Cats P***' comment.

If I was to recommend a malt, it would be for a Speyside Malt for the beginner.

Some recommendations for Malts- Glenmorangie, Cardhu, Glenlivet, Miltonduff, Highland Park and Laphroaig (acquired taste for advanced drinkers)

Some recommendations for Blended - Grants.

I have also tried 'Tesco's Value Brand' Whisky (not sure if it is a blended or simple grain whisky) which is about a quarter the price of other well known single malts available in local supermarkets and found it surprisingly agreeable. I was expecting it to taste like the finest Cuban Whisky (which is pretty awful).

Also for the Ladies there are Whisky Liqueurs such as Drambuie and Glayva (my favorite). If you come a across a bottle of Glayva, the lady in your life will appreciate the gift.

Edited by bentirran (03/29/07 08:42 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.