The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#89404 - 03/25/07 04:17 AM Fresh new utility kit for the upcoming season
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada

Hi everyone!

During the winter, I have moved away from the original PSK concept to a broader, utility-type kit that I allow myself to use even if there isn't any survival situation. It came in useful a few times during stays in cabins, on snowshoeing trips to repair snowshoes, etc. Here goes :

• AMK Heatsheet
  • Fox40 micro whistle
  • StarFlash signaling mirror
  • Victorinox OHT
  • Candle wrapped with thread
  • Cotton balls/PJ, a few TinderQwiks in there as well
  • Bic lighter
  • Micropur tabs
  • Large Ziploc
  • Mason's line
  • A few zipties
  • Small bag w/rubber bands, sewing kit, wire
  • Firesteel
  • Lightstick wrapped with flagging tape
  • Photon Freedom Micro w/spare batts
  • Paper/pencil
  • Petzl Adapt belt clip*
  • Duct tape

All of this goes in the shown zippered pouch with clear sides.

I've been carrying this kit in my backpack and waistpack all winter and it's working great! It has several quality survival items that I am not afraid to use in normal situations, and that I know will serve me well during emergencies.

This kit complements other optional items I can carry depending on where i'm going, for example, I don't always carry my Bahco Laplander folding saw when i'm just hiking around the corner. I also carry a seperate FAK and have a small compass tied to my backpack.

*The Petzl Adapt is an upgrade system that replaces the headbands of the Tikka/XP/Zipta/Tactikka series with an adaptable headband from which you can remove the headlamp. It comes with a belt clip and a piece of plastic you can stick to helmets. It basically allows you to take the headlamp, remove it from the headband and clip it to your belt or a jacket, or mount it on your helmet.

Have a great day !

#89406 - 03/25/07 04:59 AM Re: Fresh new utility kit for the upcoming season [Re: SARbound]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I'm curious about a couple of things, the thread around the candle, and the flagging tape around the lightstick. If you need to use the candle, what are you going to do with the thread? And does activating the lightstick have any effect on the tape (break or rip it), and does the tape have any effect on the lightstick (make it harder to bend the lightstick)?

I have thread wound on a bobbin from my wife's sewing machine, and flagging tape just wound on itself, 15 ft or so is only 1/4" or so in diameter...

#89420 - 03/25/07 10:23 AM Re: Fresh new utility kit for the upcoming season [Re: SARbound]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Nice kit!
I would add more water purifying tabs, a extra ziplock and some HD aluminium foil. You could replace the light-stick with a smaller sized one.
Do you feel the need to carry flagging tape?

#89421 - 03/25/07 10:36 AM Re: Fresh new utility kit for the upcoming season [Re: OldBaldGuy]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
As far as I can see from the picture, the tape doesn't prevent opening one end of the sealed package, to get the lightstick out of it, before using it....

OTOH, I have not upgraded my glasses for a looooong time... grin grin

#89498 - 03/26/07 02:30 AM Re: Fresh new utility kit for the upcoming season [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Hi OBG !

Well, the thread around the candle is there just because I didn't really know where to put the thread. I didn't want to bother with a bobbin, those have a tendancy to rust with time.

If I use the candle, I will simply pull the thread off the candle and, well, with a sharp movement of my right hand, toss it in the pouch. :-)

Same for the flagging tape, it's wrapped around the lightstick because I felt it looked nice. It's only held in place by a little piece of scotch tape, so no biggie there.

Bye !

#89499 - 03/26/07 02:34 AM Re: Fresh new utility kit for the upcoming season [Re: SARbound]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Whatever works is good. For info, the bobbins I use are clear plastic, no rust problems...

#89501 - 03/26/07 02:39 AM Re: Fresh new utility kit for the upcoming season [Re: frenchy]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

No compass?

#89520 - 03/26/07 12:32 PM Re: Fresh new utility kit for the upcoming season [Re: SARbound]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Bee,
I have a not disimilar kit to yours. From experiance, I would add a small quantity of REI matches to your kit. Also if you look on e-bay and search for tinder-quick, you will get an interesting result. I just ordered some and I was impressed by the service - and I ain't easily pleased. As a quibble, put a spare striker in there for your ferro rod. Just in case you loose your knife.

#89534 - 03/26/07 03:39 PM Re: Fresh new utility kit for the upcoming season [Re: SARbound]
WoodsWalker Offline
Stranger

Bee,
I like your concept of using items from your kit as needed. I think a lot of times kits are "packed and held" until the time of an emergency. When that time arrives and the kit is opened the user finds that he/she is not as familiar with the various items as they should be. I think using items from the kit as needed will help keep us in practice, as well as let us evaluate the various components of our kits. We just have to remember to replace any items used.

#89536 - 03/26/07 04:56 PM Re: Fresh new utility kit for the upcoming season [Re: SARbound]
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
Originally Posted By: Bee

I didn't want to bother with a bobbin, those have a tendancy to rust with time.

You can buy plastic bobbins.

Adam

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.