Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#89434 - 03/25/07 02:57 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Thank you (this is a test) for sharing that...

#89438 - 03/25/07 03:12 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: stealthedc]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I get a tad tired of hearing that so and so is a "Mexican-American," or an "African-American," or an "Italian-American," or a "wherever-American." If you are an American citizen you are an American. Where your great great grandfather came from doesn't really matter. In California I have heard the talking heads refer to the person from south of the border who was just grabbed by the INS and deported back to his home as a "Mexican-American." If he had been an American he would/could not have been deported, if he was a Mexican citizen here illegally he would/could be. Maybe I should start calling myself a "heinz57-American."

And while I am venting, I get tired of the newsies calling every bad guy as an "alleged" burgler/murderer/whatever. I can understand it for a person who has been arrested but not convicted, but a few years ago I heard one refer to Charles Manson as an "alleged" mass-murderer, and recently a person who had been shot three times in the back of the head, then hanged, then dismembered, etc, as an "alleged" murder victim.

Apparently I don't do Sunday mornings well...

#89446 - 03/25/07 03:54 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: justin2006]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats basically the same thing, doesn't matter if they filled it out ahead of time or not, it still takes a bunch of extra time for the cashier to jump through the extra hoops to take it while holding up everyone else smart enough to not use an easily forged piece of paper.

#89452 - 03/25/07 05:37 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
You're killing me for making me remember that I forgot to complain about those two!!

Everybody has to "feel" they're part of a "group".... hence "I'm a [whatever]-American". I guess there's some comfort in being part of a "gang".

The "allegedly" thing has always bothered me in this respect: the news reports "John Doe was arrested for allegedly shooting..........". I have this question: Why can't the news report that he was "allegedly" arrested?????

Like this: "Today, police allegedly arrested John Doe for allegedly shooting Jane Doe. This alleged incident allegedly occurred yesterday evening at 9:00 pm. Allegedly, investigators tell us that the alleged weapon is alleged to have belonged to the allegedly late Jane Doe"

I mean, if the criminal is only alleged to have committed a crime, how can they get away with NOT alleging the police arrested the criminal? Allegedly, this bothers me.

Edited by Stretch (03/25/07 05:39 PM)
Edit Reason: Allegedly, this post was edited.

#89482 - 03/26/07 01:18 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: stealthedc
Yep, or people moving to "Worshingtun", especially from the southeast.

When my oldest daughter would get upset and go off, and we had to "reset" her attitude, she would say "I'm Sorry", but in a tone and with a volume that indicated all she was sorry about was that she had to deal with us. People who end a request with "Thank You" before you've consented to perform also grate on me a bit.

Ending an email with "Regards" usually has a negative connotation these days.

Why do you think the word"regard" has negative connotation? I am confused. Most corporate managers use the term frequently.

#89667 - 03/28/07 04:08 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: picard120]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I hate "Hurricane Katrina Dogs"..Who gives a sh*&! if a dog you "rescued" came outta that god-forsaken place! The media was talking about these dogs and the need to rescue them, while real live people were still homeless and jobless.

I also hate buzz words such as :chipotle, extreme, ciabatta bread..etc

#89681 - 03/28/07 12:58 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Themalemutekid]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid
I hate "Hurricane Katrina Dogs"..Who gives a sh*&! if a dog you "rescued" came outta that god-forsaken place! The media was talking about these dogs and the need to rescue them, while real live people were still homeless and jobless.

Dogs can't do anything to prepare for a natural disaster, while most people can and should--and simply choose not to.

Honestly, I've got more sympathy for the dogs.

#89721 - 03/28/07 07:29 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: norad45]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
That's all good & true, it's not the pets fault that they got left behind.I love animals, but to me a human life comes before that of a pets.Sure pets "can't do anything to prepare for a natural disaster" but what about the young, the elderly, the invalid, the bedridden, & let's not forget the downtrodden & needy.All these unfortunate souls come before pets.

#89862 - 03/29/07 08:26 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Themalemutekid]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
One of my favorite overused is "Ordeal."

"The passengers had to wait on the taxiway for six hours before being returned to the terminal at the end of their ordeal."

If you want to read about the real meaning of the word, try -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Jogues

about Father Issac Jogues' treatment at the hands of the Mohawks in 1642.

#89875 - 03/29/07 11:44 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: brandtb]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: brandtb
One of my favorite overused is "Ordeal."

When I hear someone talk about "Their Ordeal", I think of my "Ordeal Weekend" when I was about 14 and a newly elected O/A member. If you were a brother in the O/A, you know that's a weekend you probably remember for the rest of your life.

- Ron

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.