Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#89413 - 03/25/07 07:14 AM Paracord Crochet
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
A few months ago I watched my mother-in-law crochet with some yarn. I wondered if I could do the same thing with paracord, making it easier to store. Later I found a how-to book at the library, then bought a crochet hook and tried some simple chains/stitches. After some practice I could it with even stitches (it helps that you can pull the paracord really tight while crocheting, you can't do that with yarn). I also discovered that I ccould unravel the stitches, which means that a square of crocheted paracord can be easily stored, and easily unraveled when needed. I've now made a few of these for various kits and around the shop. So far it works ok for long-term storage and easy retrival.

Here is an example from my car kit: 100 feet orange 4-strand paracord that is in a 7"x8" square.

Larger Size Image - Orange

Here is my latest one: 100 feet of grey 7-strand paracord that is in a 14"x4" rectangle (the photocaption says 7", sorry) that fits in the bottom of the bladder pocket in my TAD Gen2 FAST pack.

Large Size Image - Grey

I'm sorry if the pictures are not clear enough, I'm still learning about taking and posting digital pictures.

#89427 - 03/25/07 01:40 PM Re: Paracord Crochet [Re: ZenEngineer]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
that looks like it would pack and transport, be thrown around kits, cars, etc., very well w/o tangling and hooking on stuff.

As your bottom example points out, it looks like you could squeeze these in anywhere. It also looks like they'd have some decent uses as a pad...or to pad between items in packouts.

How long did it take to learn?

#89441 - 03/25/07 03:37 PM Re: Paracord Crochet [Re: yeti]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
This is a GENIUS idea! Excellent for keeping it easy to access and store. You're brilliant.

I had an ex-girlfriend learn/teach me a few years back. Maybe I'll run out and do that myself! Have you found any sizes to be more useful than others?

#89444 - 03/25/07 03:48 PM How to... [Re: yeti]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

It took a few nights of trial and error while watching TV. I first tried with yarn, just to get the basics. That was too hard since it was harder to match the result to the pictures in the book. When I gave up and tried again with paracord it was much easier.

My suggestion is to start with paracord, a book, and a 5.5mm crochet hook. You could use a larger hook, but I think it would be harder to insert into tight stitches. Make a length of about 20 chain stitches, then make several layers of single-stitches. Unravel, then start over again. You should be able to make even stitches within a day or so, then try making squares to a specific size.

#89445 - 03/25/07 03:51 PM Re: Paracord Crochet [Re: MDinana]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: MDinana
This is a GENIUS idea! Excellent for keeping it easy to access and store. You're brilliant.

I had an ex-girlfriend learn/teach me a few years back. Maybe I'll run out and do that myself! Have you found any sizes to be more useful than others?

Thank you.

I don't think the size of the paracord makes much difference. I've used three different cords (7-strand, 4-strand, and a cheap hardware store cord) with same effect, and have used the same 5.5mm hook for all three.

#89471 - 03/25/07 11:38 PM Re: Paracord Crochet [Re: ZenEngineer]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
By the way, when out with my son's troop I've found that paracord is just too stretchy to make a good long clothesline - that we can hang sleeping bags and such on, so I tend to carry 100' of 3/8" braided nylon rope as well as the paracord.

#89490 - 03/26/07 01:55 AM Re: Paracord Crochet [Re: ZenEngineer]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Zen....
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and tips on how to do this. This is really a great idea. I'm going to give this a try.

smitty

#89515 - 03/26/07 05:20 AM Re: Paracord Crochet [Re: ZenEngineer]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh wow. You've finally unravelled my excuses about not learning to crochet.

I can just see it now- the guys who talk about thier belts and hat bands will swallow their tounges if I can make a full length scarf out of paracord! *manic grin*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#89523 - 03/26/07 01:23 PM Re: Paracord Crochet [Re: ironraven]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Good thinking, Zen. Looks like a great way to pack 550 cord into tight spots. Next up: paracord macrame!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.