Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8913 - 09/07/02 03:52 AM multi purpose thermometer/compass
zpo2 Offline
Stranger

http://www.highgearusa.com/comp_therm.html<br><br>Just thought this was neat, and theres some other cool stuff on their web site. Has anyone used one of these?

#8914 - 09/07/02 02:31 PM Re: multi purpose thermometer/compass
Anonymous
Unregistered

"high decimel" whistle -- can't say I am impressed. Basically a Walter Mitty toy.

#8915 - 09/07/02 07:29 PM Re: multi purpose thermometer/compass
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe that should be "decibel" unless that whistle also comes with a scientific calculator!

#8916 - 09/09/02 04:26 AM Re: multi purpose thermometer/compass
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
I handled one in the store the just last saturday.<br>7in 1 tool. Passable compass. I didn't try the whistle in the store for obvious reasons. OK magnifying lens, small mirror, not much better than the 5 in I survior tool, but a very small compartment to store stuff. The literature sez it can be used to store matches or meds.<br>Well you'd have to break the matches into smaller halves if you want to store it in there.<br>Not very much space.<br>Oh yeah, the led light is OK.<br>It's passable for someone who wants everything in one package, but you can do better and smaller getting everything separately (probably costs less too)..<br><br>My 2 cents....

#8917 - 09/10/02 02:56 PM Re: multi purpose thermometer/compass
PryBry Offline

Loc: mn, usa
I just gave one of these to my 4 year old son... He loves it, wears it all the time... which is what I wanted anyway!<br>We're going on a Jeep trail ride in southern Indiana in October and I wanted to make sure if he wondered off, he had a whistle on him. He also likes the magnifier for looking a bugs and other crawley creatures. I figure I'll teach him about the other items as he gets older. The space inside is right now used for a couple of rolled up band-aids... for ouies you know. The LED also works quite well for him at night... we hang it from the bed post so he can find it in the dark. One nice thing is he can't leave the light on over night, since you have to press and hold the button for the LED to light.<br>So far it's been a great gift for him... It took a while to get the idea of using the whistle "only when you need us"...(pass the tylenol)<br>Now I just hope he doesn't lose it before our trip.<br><br>I figure you can never start the "emergency preparedness" bug too young. (as my wife just rolls her eyes!)

#8918 - 09/11/02 12:06 AM Re: multi purpose thermometer/compass
Anonymous
Unregistered

<br>Some interesting gadgets on that site. Their Traildrop II device seems like a knockoff of a Suunto watch, but not a watch package, and about $150 cheaper.<br>

#8919 - 09/11/02 02:38 AM Re: multi purpose thermometer/compass
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
actually, it is a good starter for kids. The item is larger for kids hands and they do like the light and whistle.<br>Maybe I should get one for my kids too. The breakaway lanyard is a good thing too.....<br><br> Thanks for the good idea!<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 377 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.