The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#89247 - 03/23/07 04:58 PM Re: Blowing up lighters [Re: williamlatham]
hillbilly Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast Arkansas (Central Ar...
I found a bic one time when I was 12 or so. I put it on a large rock and hit it with another large rock. I couldn't hear for a couple of hours from the blast. Course, we also did the same thing to 22 shells that we had taken the lead out of.

#89254 - 03/23/07 05:40 PM Re: Blowing up lighters [Re: NightHiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
tape a ball bearing to the primer. Toss it up in the air so it comes down on a hard surface and it detonates with a very satisfying boom.

RESPONSE DELETED BY POSTER.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (03/23/07 05:41 PM)
Edit Reason: some knowledge just doesn't need to be shared.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#89263 - 03/23/07 06:57 PM Re: Blowing up lighters [Re: NightHiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
RATS! I was trying to draw you out.

PM on it's way...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#89272 - 03/23/07 08:30 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Jackpine_Savage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
I used to have the accessory pack from MREs (old ones)that had "water proof" matches, gum, coffee, creamer, sugar, and toilet paper in them that I told my kids and scouts that I gave them to were hunters packs. I explained if they used their knife to slit the top open it would work as a cup. The packets were about the size of a wallet and they put them in their back pockets. I can't find them any more the new ones don't have the TP in them. With a knife, and a mini light most scouts carried them.

Is there any where we can get just that pack???

Take Care and Stay Safe

#89275 - 03/23/07 08:44 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: jamesraykenney]
obmeyer Offline

Loc: Fairfax County VA
Quote:
You SHOULD tell them that if their life is in danger, to forget about minimizing the damage to the environment, and make the best shelter they can in the QUICKEST time they can!
Quote:

Yes we should tell them that in a real world environment they do not need to worry, but for this merit badge, they should look at minimizing the impact. I got my WS Merit badge at summer camp. We had a number of scouts in the class and over 6 weeks of summer camp, that could be a lot of pine trees being used for bows to sleep on. I found a natural A frame that I was able to cover with downed leaves for over head shelter and more leaves for the bedding.

#89343 - 03/24/07 12:45 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: norad45]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Ladies and Gents, Good Morning!

IMHO, adult or child, scout or not, train them to be able to satisfy the Rule of Threes ( 3hrs. without shelter/fire, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food) to the best of their ability, and equip them with the tools and they need to be successful.

Re. compliance: What ever happened to pre-event inspections?

I was a scout in the 60's and 70's. As a troop, we were lost several times (eventually found our way), had an adult leader have a psychotic episode at summer camp, accidental started a field fire (extinguished it before the FD got there) and spent many cold nights and ate many burnt pancakes, but i think what allowed us to get through it was the relationships and mentoring that was there. It really was a family.
They say a person is in part a product of their environment and what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I wouldn't trade my time in scouting for anything, the good nor the bad.

Regards, Jim

Edited by aligator (03/24/07 12:48 PM)

#89372 - 03/24/07 09:13 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: NightHiker]
Jackpine_Savage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
Thanks, I just sent them an e-mail and will let you know if they are availble.

#89378 - 03/24/07 11:00 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: obmeyer]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
[/quote]
Yes we should tell them that in a real world environment they do not need to worry, but for this merit badge, they should look at minimizing the impact. I got my WS Merit badge at summer camp. We had a number of scouts in the class and over 6 weeks of summer camp, that could be a lot of pine trees being used for bows to sleep on. I found a natural A frame that I was able to cover with downed leaves for over head shelter and more leaves for the bedding.
[/quote]
You lucked out! My shelter kept getting taken apart, so that ultimately I had to go to a new location on the morning before our outdoor sleep-out. I ended up with a crappy half done A-frame type. Mind you, this was on an island of the CA coast (fog rolling in at night). And of course, about midnight, I find I'm sleeping on a red ant nest. Not the best of situations crazy

#89400 - 03/25/07 03:28 AM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: jamesraykenney]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Minimizing damage also has to do with fires. Sure, a forest fire gets people's attention, but...

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#89867 - 03/29/07 09:54 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: MDinana]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
[/quote]

You lucked out! My shelter kept getting taken apart, so that ultimately I had to go to a new location on the morning before our outdoor sleep-out. I ended up with a crappy half done A-frame type. Mind you, this was on an island of the CA coast (fog rolling in at night). And of course, about midnight, I find I'm sleeping on a red ant nest. Not the best of situations crazy [/quote]

You were lucky you were in CA... In TX that could have been a Fire ant nest... Though I doubt that it would have taken until midnight for you to have found out! grin

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.