Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#89038 - 03/21/07 07:52 PM Boy Scout EDC
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Being a scoutmaster with a 12-year old son, the Michael Auberry story hits VERY close to home.

For a long time now I've thought about the kind of gear that Scouts should carry. The Boy Scout Handbook has an excellent list of "outdoor essentials", but the reality is that these boys want to travel light when out having fun. For the most part, they simply will not carry a daypack filled with gear around with them while out and about. Most of the boys in my son's troop won't even wear a fanny pack.

Don't misunderstand. They will bring all the gear with them when camping, and they might wear a daypack with gear while hiking or attending a special event, but that stuff is generally left in or near their tent when out having fun or exploring the local area.

So that gets me to thinking: What is the minimal gear that Michael Auberry, or any other Boy Scout, could have carried with him to increase his chance of surviving a few nights lost in the woods - something along the lines of a Boy Scout EDC.

OK, here is what I've come up with as a VERY minimal EDC, assuming he is dressed warm enough to at least survive night-time temperatures:

MINIMUM:
Pocketknife - primarily used to help fire building
Lighter - it should be tested before heading out the door
Whistle
Two Bright Trash Bags (33 gallon or 55 gallon, depending on the size of the boy) - one to cover the top and another for the bottom or as a flag

I'd prefer they also carry a bandanna - to try to soak up dew or water in crevises, do first aid, swat flies, tie together sticks, strain water, act as tinder if all else fails, etc...

A signal mirror would be a great addition, but they are too bulky and easily damaged in a Scout's pocket.

A tiny flashlight might be nice too, but for me it doesn't bubble up to the top of the list.

Your thoughts?

Ken K.

#89041 - 03/21/07 08:20 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: KenK]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

As an absolute minimum, and assuming adequate clothing and a plentiful supply of water:

AMK Heatsheet
Mini-Bic lighter x 2
Pre-made tinder
Photon III
SAK or small Multitool
Whistle
Mirror
15' paracord

If the kids are responsible enough to go on a campout then they should be required to be on their honor to carry at least this much at all times.

#89042 - 03/21/07 08:28 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: KenK]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I would add some twine or thin rope. It weighs nothing and is really helpful when you need to fix things or improvise a shelter. Maybe a small compass, a miniature fishing % sewing kit plus a firestarter tool (just in case the lighter fails) and you're good to go.

Basically I'm a big fan of the SAS-style tobacco can survival kit. It fits nicely in a cargo pocket on my BDU's. The tin cover also doubles as a signal mirror.

#89043 - 03/21/07 08:42 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: KenK]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

I have read all of the replys so far and all are good, But the main thing is his brain. If he has a computer, or he can use yours, turn him on to this site and let him ask his own questions and all of us here would be more happy to help. I have just checked thru My BSA Handbook ( 1988 vintage ) and there is no Survival subject in the book, not even listed in the index, Just bits and pieces as to what to do. I think a pre made survival kit from this site for a present for some good deed would be in order. Kids are like horses, you can lead them to water, but you can't make them drink. Use the back door get Him interested by giving him a project to find out what all of the Items in his kit are used for.

#89044 - 03/21/07 09:01 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: KenK]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Ken, my son is an 11YO new scout and he asked for a DR PSK, he carries it every where he goes (except school), when we go camping in the mountains, or the desert we both have are DR PSK

Mike

#89045 - 03/21/07 09:08 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: KenK]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Hi Ken,

Good question. I started to touch on it with my reply about the boy in NC. The guys in my troop seem to have arrived on what they consider outdoor EDC, based on our discussions at our meeting last night. It's essentially what you listed:

- Dress right for the conditions.
- Water (something that can be clipped to your belt or a pants loop.)
- Whistle
- Knife
- Firestarting "stuff" (matches, lighter, flint/steel, tinder)
- Shelter "stuff" (trash bag, bivvy sack, space blanket/bag, etc)
- Flashlight

They know that the other things we discuss are important, but, frequently don't "carry" them on their person. In fact, for many, the "real" EDC is reduced to knife, whistle, lighter, and whatever clothes they have on. Of course, if we can get them to do that consistantly, they will be better off than most people anyway, and they will also have experience actually using them, what a concept. They call it "outdoor EDC". Unfortunately, they can't really develop the good habit of "EVERY" Day Carry of this stuff, because they'd be thrown out of school...

- Ron

#89048 - 03/21/07 09:17 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: kd7fqd]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I'd say:

1. Appropriate clothing for the conditions.
2. Water bottle with water or similar.
3. Whistle.

I think those are most important and can be carried and used by all but the youngest of children (with almost no training).

After those things the item list depends on the age and level of skill. One can carry all the gear they want, but if they don't know how to use it than it can actually have a negative effect on morale and safety.

#89052 - 03/21/07 09:35 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: KenK]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Have you seen what the BSA offers as a whistle? The last time I was at a BSA store all they offered was a silver referee whistle with a pea which is not appropriate for the wilderness.

All scouts need to be able to deal with in one form or another;
Shelter from the elements.
Ways to get / stay warm (fire).
Ways to signal for help.
and
Water.

#89055 - 03/21/07 10:15 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: billym]
sparky Offline

Originally Posted By: billym
Have you seen what the BSA offers as a whistle? The last time I was at a BSA store all they offered was a silver referee whistle with a pea which is not appropriate for the wilderness.

What is wrong with pea whistles?
They are not loud enough or what?

#89059 - 03/21/07 10:24 PM Re: Boy Scout EDC [Re: Be_Prepared]
duckear Offline
Addict

It is easy to have scouts wear a fanny pack with a certain # of specific items. Wear it or you dont go. End of discussion.

Kinda like when I was in the .mil..... Web gear, poncho, water, Kevlar. End of discussion.

Edited by duckear (03/21/07 10:25 PM)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.