Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#88980 - 03/21/07 04:29 AM Re:Missing Scout found [Re: Be_Prepared]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The only thing I would point out to them is that a mile diameter centered on camp is over 3 square miles to be search. If you have a tile floor where you meet, if they are a foot on a side, ask them how big they are.

Yes, it means math. And it provides a really concrete example to go with this kid as to why it is important to increase your "size" with noise and visual signals.

The way I heard it, he took off to try to get the road and thumb it home?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88982 - 03/21/07 04:54 AM Re: Another Scout missing [Re: OldBaldGuy]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
When my son was in Scouts I had a funny feeling about the Scoutmaster, so I went on all of their campouts (I also had the only P/U, and carried all of their gear. If I couldn't go they didn't go). Years later it was learned that he was a convicted child molester from Texas. I know that the majority of the Scoutmasters are good guys, but the occasional bad apple can slip through...

I want to formally apologize on behalf of all of my fellow Texans... We try to take care of the scum ourselves, but some slip through the cracks... mad

#88984 - 03/21/07 05:04 AM Re:Missing Scout found [Re: kharrell]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Shows just how important a whistle can be...
He said he kept shouting to the rescuers, but that they never heard him!...

#88985 - 03/21/07 05:25 AM Re:Missing Scout found [Re: MartinFocazio]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio

<snip>
You've hit a raw, raw nerve with me here, because I've seen what Ritalin and the other drugs do to exuberant, brilliant, but excitable children.
"The Onion" a satirical weekly paper, had a brilliant "news" article about Ritalin a few years ago:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/32261

"WORCESTER, MA—Area 7-year-old Douglas Castellano's unbridled energy and creativity are no longer a problem thanks to Ritalin, doctors for the child announced Monday. "After years of failed attempts to stop Douglas' uncontrollable bouts of self-expression, we have finally found success with Ritalin," Dr. Irwin Schraeger said. "For the first time in his life, Douglas can actually sit down and not think about lots of things at once." Castellano's parents reported that the cured child no longer tries to draw on everything in sight, calming down enough to show an interest in television."

OK, I'm stepping off this thread because I'll go totally ballistic if I see another post extolling the virtues of easy-to-manage drugged children.

That article was priceless!!!

And I agree completely...
The percentage of children, diagnosed with ADHD, is too high to be real... Either that, or ADHD needs to be removed from the category of a mental disease and declared to be one of the common personality types.

My personal view, is that it is a REAL condition, but one that is over diagnosed to an EXTREME degree...

If I remember correctly, grades in classes right after recess and PE are higher than at any other time of the day. This is thought to be because the kids are tired after running around during recess, and do not have the energy to be disruptive... But the trend is to shorten, or eliminate recess, and also to limit physical activity during that time...

#89003 - 03/21/07 01:59 PM Re:Missing Scout found [Re: jamesraykenney]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
This is the first case I've heard of where a kid getting lost in the woods might have actually saved his life. Why? Because they are now reporting that he was trying to hike out to the road so he could Hitch-Hike home!

The problems with this kid (and his home life) most likely go way beyond any kind of disorder. The dad is an attorney & more than likely works mega hours each week & the scouting trip was just another excuse to get rid of the kid for a few days.

My wife & I led our son's Cubscout group for 4 years. There are parents that get involved, help out & go on the trips. And there are parents who are looking for any excuse to dump their kid off on someone else... my gut is telling me this is an example of the later.

#89005 - 03/21/07 02:10 PM Re: Another Scout missing [Re: jamesraykenney]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Maybe I can arrainge to have him sent back for a belated "treatment"...

#89006 - 03/21/07 02:41 PM Re:Missing Scout found [Re: obmeyer]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Well as it turns out he RAN AWAY. So it was a deliberate action because he wasn't having fun. It is sad but it has had a happy ending as he was found.

#89011 - 03/21/07 03:10 PM Re:Missing Scout found [Re: atoz]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
He was planning Hitchhiking so the getting lost in the woods may have saved his life.

#89018 - 03/21/07 04:13 PM Re:Missing Scout found [Re: ironraven]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
The only thing I would point out to them is that a mile diameter centered on camp is over 3 square miles to be search. If you have a tile floor where you meet, if they are a foot on a side, ask them how big they are.

I think that was one of the most amazing things to them. One of the concepts we talked about was how easy it would be to walk a mile or so from camp, and yet how big an area that is to search in the woods. It helped reinforce the importance of signalling, and also the importance of stopping before they go too far. I like the analogy of the floor tiles, I might use that one in a future meeting, thanks.

I guess the point of my message was that I felt a lot better knowing that something we were doing was actually getting through to these guys, because it's often hard to tell if anything happens between those ears!

It's kinda sad now that we hear about how he was trying to hitch hike home, and that his dad was essentially paying him to go on the camping trip. As others have mentioned, there are always boys that are basically on these trips as extended daycare for the parents. I think that is sad, but, I look at it a different way. From my perspective, those boys need us even more than the ones who have parents actively involved with the troop, so we always go out of our way to make them feel "at home".

I have our summer camp photo of our 20 or so boys on my desk at work. 2 other dad's, who are my Assistant Scoutmasters look forward to spending "summer vacation" with our extended family each July. I feel lucky to have such a good group of boys and adult leaders, and wish more of the moms and dads would join us. They are missing a chance to see their kids in a different light, and see them grow from boys to men. I guess my comments are starting to stray from Survival Forum to Campfire, so I'll stop now wink

- Ron

#89028 - 03/21/07 05:43 PM Re:Missing Scout found [Re: NightHiker]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
I have been a cubscout & Webelo den leader and assistant scoutmaster for a scout troop. There is no doubt that there is a certain amount of "baby sitters of america" out there in both organizations. Yes, we leaders get agrivated at times when it becomes very obvious. There are also a lot of dedicated parents that contribute time to those organizations to help make them work.

However, there is another group out there that believe that the program helps their kids, but are just not outdoors type of people. Our advancement chair is very active, but has never camped with the troop. I was involved with a summer camp situation where a youth, who had never gotton homesick on a weekend camp, that was a complete basket case by mid week of summer camp. The parents are good people that believed in the scouting program. Kids get homesick. Not every parent likes to camp. A lot of parents believe that this program works to instill good values and leadership in young men.

Please do not slam the dad for trying to get his son involved without knowing the "rest of the story". I would bet there is not a parent on this forum that has not had to bribe their kid to do something that the parent knew would be good for the kid, but the kid just didn't see it in the same light.

Possibly this was a baby sitting case, but maybe not. I can't tell from the news reports.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.