Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#88836 - 03/20/07 12:03 AM Re: My Emergency Wilderness PSK [Re: haertig]
J_Michael Offline
Almost a Stranger
stranger

Mike,
Well, you forced me to finally post something myself just to say thanks for sharing with us and to complain that you have cost me a few bucks for upgrades I've considered for some time!
Although we have many similarities we differ on a few. One is size in general (although I agree the altoid tin is too small for the field) and another is spectra (seems to cut through things and fingers in addition to requiring knot talent).
You wrote that much of your time is in what sounds like desert areas. Have you carried tubing for obtaining water?
Thanks, great presentation...

#88895 - 03/20/07 04:33 PM Re: My Emergency Wilderness PSK [Re: J_Michael]
Evolute Offline

J_Michael,

If you found the article helpful, then I'm glad.

It doesn't sound like our views on size differ too much. We both agree that an altoids tin is too small. I chose what is the right size for me, but I don't say it has to be as big as mine, or it is not right. Instead, I say, "Of course, it's important for a PSK to be small enough that you keep it with you, so that you actually have it with you when you need it", and, "I don't expect everyone to carry a PSK as big as mine around 24/7, and I'm not suggesting that everyone should". I even give links to two smaller alternative containers: the Esbit stove, and the BCB Mini Mess Box.

Yes, Spectra can have a tendency to cut throught things, including your fingers, and itself. That's a legitimate argument against it. Like everything, there are compromises to be made when choosing cordage. I chose Spectra for a number of reasons, including its strength, its small size, its greater heat and fire resistance compared to nylon, its difficulty to chew through (i.e., it can be used for snares), and its non-stretchiness. It is more slippery, and more "cutting"; if you prefer to use Dacron, or nylon, or polyester... if you come to determine that the advantages of those outweigh the disadvantages, for your needs and use... that's great. Not really a disagreement, I think.

I used to carry surgical tubing in my kit. I carried it to get water from tinajas, as well as for binding, and to make a slingshot. I ultimately chose to remove it, and use that space to add a towel, instead. A towel is not as effective as a tube for getting water from a tinaja, but it can still gather water fairly effectively, and there are instances where a towel will work for water collecting, where tubing won't. Additionally, I ultimately came to conclude that the other uses for a towel served me better than the other uses for tubing.

I do think tubing has a legitimate place in survival kits.

#89473 - 03/25/07 11:45 PM Re: My Emergency Wilderness PSK [Re: Evolute]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Sir, Thanks for posting and for your web site. I'm always interested in how other folks do things. You never know where you can pickup a good idea.

If you don't mind, I'd be interested in your thoughts as to the other stuff you carry for survival purposes that are too large for your pocket kit or perhaps redundancies.

In the video of you shaving some wood that you sparked into a fire, the knife looks like a Mad Dog/ Kevin McClung creation. If not whose? Thanks again for your efforts. Regards, Jim

Edited by aligator (03/26/07 01:32 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 408 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.