Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#88699 - 03/18/07 06:38 PM All Purpose Survival Knife
kixonrt66 Offline

Question: If you could only have ONE knife with you...No axe, no hatchet, nothing but ONE cutting tool...What would it be???

In 1970 I was sent to Southeast Asia to fly A1 Sandys over Viet-Nam and Laos. On the way I got to stop in the Philippines for Jungle Survival School training. "Snake School" as they called it, was in an area of dense jungle just outside Clark Air Base. The "Negrito" natives that were our instructors all carried large Bolo type knives which they made from Jeep and truck leaf springs. At the end of the course they were offered to us for sale for a few dollars. Obviously I bought one. These Negrito Bolos are among the most efficient cutting tools I have ever owned. They are not finely finished, in fact they are rather crude. They are also convex ground and impeccably balanced. They are also full tang and handled in crudely carved water buffalo horn with hand carved wooden sheaths. If you ever run across one of these (they are quite hard to find)buy it!!!! If you don't like it I'll surely take it off your hands!
Kix

#88700 - 03/18/07 06:55 PM Re: All Purpose Survival Knife [Re: kixonrt66]
kmcrawford111 Offline
journeyman

Loc: NW Indiana
Do you have any pictures of the blade?

#88701 - 03/18/07 08:12 PM Re: All Purpose Survival Knife [Re: kixonrt66]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

My choice in a one knife kit would be and is my 1945 vintage U.S.Navy Mark 1. This knife was givein to me by my dad who was a frogman. It is still in it's gray plastic and canvas sheth.

#88713 - 03/18/07 10:33 PM Re: All Purpose Survival Knife [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Himalayan Imports has a good selection of bolos and khukris in various finish qualities, all fairly decent carbon steel blades semi-hand made.

Spring steel is pretty good stock for making knives, especially heavy utility knives. In "The Hunted" with Tommy Lee Jones and Benecio Del Toro, they are given instruction on making knives precisely that way. Crude, but should work (along with Tommy's stone knife, of course).

Personally, I like my Desert Battle Rat from Swamp Rat for jungle type work. Maybe not quite as heavy as the bolo, but it is high quality and has other good uses. Any of the bigger knives from Busse will suit me fine. If it had to be just one blade only, then likely a Busse Battle Mistress. For general purpose hand-wielded blade instruments, there is nothing better than Busse processed Infi alloy, nothing. Of course, you gotta be willing to spend $400+, but you get what you pay for.

On the other hand, I'd be sorely put upon to have to give up my Leatherman. If it came down to it, I might leave the Busse at home and take my Wave instead. Hey, it works just fine on dressing elk, moose, lodgepoles, 10p nails, etc. Sure it won't lop through heavy jungle all too well, but then again that's not a place I am as likely to find myself. In a combat environment, I'd definitely want the leatherman more than any other knife.

That big Crain knife that Billy had in the movie "Predator" would be cool, but I hear they are way-overpriced, and Crain doesn't have the greatest customer service reputation.

#88725 - 03/18/07 11:59 PM Re: All Purpose Survival Knife [Re: NightHiker]
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
I strongly suggest you handle one and talk to people who own(ed) one.
I have seen several negitive posts on the Tracker. The major objections included weight, balance and cost. Just be careful before plunking down your hard earnrd dollers

#88727 - 03/19/07 12:06 AM Re: All Purpose Survival Knife [Re: Woodsloafer]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
to carry? ...easily a SAK Swisschamp...enough tools for anyone

but if it had to be one at home...it would have to be the buck 110 my dad gave me years ago...it ain't pretty...but...well...you know.

#88735 - 03/19/07 12:58 AM Re: All Purpose Survival Knife [Re: kixonrt66]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Sandy Driver, and thanks for all you guys did over there. I know that there are a lot of airmen alive today thanks to you guys in those old Spads.

I have never handled one, but from what I have read I might want to take a Busse Battle Mistress along.

I did a mini-version of the jungle survival school in Panama in '69, then were big on a 12" machete. I still have mine, but I am not sure that it would be my first choice if I could have only one knife...

#88743 - 03/19/07 01:45 AM Re: All Purpose Survival Knife [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#88744 - 03/19/07 01:52 AM Re: All Purpose Survival Knife [Re: OldBaldGuy]
kixonrt66 Offline

Hello OBG,
Thanks, it souds like you were there too, if so welcome home old friend. The spads were almost like "Survival" aircraft. They were old but well armored and capable of low and slow wich is exactly what we neede over jungle terrain. I tried to post some pics of the Negrito bolos but obviously it didn't work. Any suggestions? I have the Jpeg files in photobucket and I followed the protocol I've used on other forums. Any info would be much appreciated.
Kix

#88745 - 03/19/07 01:57 AM Re: All Purpose Survival Knife [Re: kixonrt66]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

kixonrt66, I saw your post and in 1985, I went to JEST school also in clark and I still have my Bolo, I wish I could get another one like it, it's done a lot of chopping for me. If you ever find one like it can you let me know, the handle still has the bleed me knot wood and every once in awhile if I cut my self on something, I still scrape a little off the handle and it still stops the bleeding even after 20 years. I own a Dog father and a kurkuri and a cold steel kurkuri, but my BOLO is my primary tool. I guess it grows on you.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.