Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8865 - 09/04/02 03:53 PM Modifying your Leatherman Wave
Saunterer Offline

Loc: Kansas City area
Has anyone been able to, or thought about adding to/modifying their Leatherman Wave? After carrying a SA Champ for almost 15 years, I've finally switched over to a Wave only for the real pliers. Along with the usual tools, I've found the pliers to be truly helpful; I've tightened some copper fittings, fixed the wire on an electric fence, and retightened my daughters seat after she made a skin donation to the parks department when trying to avoid a stick on the trail. But I do miss some of the features that the SAK had, such as the ruler, pen, straight pin and magnifying glass. But question to the group, what mods have you done, or would like to do to your Wave? There has to be something else I/we can do to customize this tool for your individual tastes. Maybe a meeting of the minds here could help us out.<br><br>The only things I've accomplished so far are using a Dremel tool to make the lanyard hole a little bigger to be able use 550 cord and added a sewing needle inside the handle. The needle is attached with a small 7mm x 15mm magnet (strong flexible refrigerator type) placed against the handle in front of the can/bottle opener. Stays in great, and a light tap, when the handles are open, gets the needle out. So far I haven't experienced it falling out while in my pocket. And I hope not. Now I've added a splinter remover, sewing needle, and emergency compass to my Wave. I've also tried to shave down a Zippo flint to get it small enough to try to store it in the Wave somewhere but no luck so far. <br><br>So what ye say? Anyone else tried to see how more versatile you can make your Wave?

#8866 - 09/05/02 02:36 AM Re: Modifying your Leatherman Wave
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
I have not actually thought of modifying the wave, mainly because I think it is well designed as it is ( although I wish the blade would stay sharp longer...)<br>How did you add a compass to the wave? Glue it onto the handles?<br>I like all the neat stuff on the SAK too ( I have a swiss champ and now a workchamp too), but I think that if you really want more stuff in your package, it would probably be easier to get a better sheath for the wave or modify the sheath to hold more stuff.<br><br>I have this fear of my (unprofessional) modifications either affecting the functionality of the tool or screwing it up big time!<br><br><br><br>

#8867 - 09/05/02 04:09 AM Re: Modifying your Leatherman Wave
Anonymous
Unregistered

It also may affect the warranty too. And besides, if Tim finds out what you did, he may take the idea and get it patented before you....:D

#8868 - 09/05/02 12:15 PM Re: Modifying your Leatherman Wave
Saunterer Offline

Maybe my original post was not too clear. English composition was not my strong point back in school. I agree that my Wave is a well designed tool. That is why my SAK of 15 years is now sitting on the sidelines and not my EDC. But what I am trying to accomplish is not turning a Wave into a Frankenstein-custom-made-multi tool, but just simply seeing how many more features I can add to it and keep it the same dimensions. By using a small magnet and a sewing needle, I have added an emergency compass to my Wave. Also a splinter remover, balloon popper, holding the magnet in the pliers to retrieve a small screw that dropped in a tight place, or whatever you may need a magnet/needle in your daily activities. It's kind of like buying a new 4x4 truck, and adding a tool box or trailer hitch. Just the little things that can make your usage a little better.<br><br>Next, maybe etching little tick marks onto the spine of the file in 1/4" or 5mm markings for a ruler? Drilling a 1/32" or so hole in the smallest screwdriver to make an awl? <br><br>I hope Mr. Leatherman is not reading this. Grin.

#8869 - 09/05/02 02:00 PM Re: Modifying your Leatherman Wave
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a little surprised that there isn't already a business offering custom modifications to multi-tools, similar to what gunsmiths provide for fine firearms. There must be someone who would provide all the little adjustments and alterations that would spell perfection for the owner. The removable file, featured in an article on this website, is a pretty good example of what can be done.

#8870 - 09/05/02 02:44 PM Re: Modifying your Leatherman Wave
Anonymous
Unregistered

"custom modifications to multi-tools, similar to what gunsmiths provide for fine firearms"<br><br>Ive been reading this thread and trying to figure out what I could do to one with a TIG welder (heliarc for those who know it by that) and a Dremel tool. Im drawing a blank on usefull mods.

#8871 - 09/05/02 02:52 PM Re: Modifying your Leatherman Wave
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Where did you get the magnet? I haven't seen a good source besides refridgerator stuff.

#8872 - 09/05/02 03:10 PM Re: Modifying your Leatherman Wave
Saunterer Offline

Well it is actually a refrigerator magnet. I just trimmed it down to about 7mm x 15mm (size was not really factor, just ended up this way). If I had some small brushless motors to bust open, or slot race car motors you could possibly find one small enough to work. <br><br>

#8873 - 09/05/02 03:16 PM Re: Modifying your Leatherman Wave
Saunterer Offline

A friend of mine in the northeast is a laser developer/engineer/experimentor and gave me a stainless steel plate engraved by laser for one of our amateur radio field day excursions. Maybe someone like this could burn a ruler onto multi-tools that are lacking them. Or custom logos, names. Hmmmm.

#8874 - 09/05/02 03:17 PM Re: Modifying your Leatherman Wave
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I found some small magnet rods ( diameter 4 mm, length 20 mm) in an electronics supply shop. They´re used for operating reed switches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.