Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#88587 - 03/17/07 04:37 AM Re: Speaking of Hiking Staffs... [Re: kixonrt66]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome new guy.

Since you are from NM, maybe you can answer a question for me. Once, while vacationing in Arizona, we were out hiking, and stumbled upon the remains of a downed saguaro cactus. The ribs were a honeycome pattern, and seemed to be very light, I have wondered ever since if one of those ribs might make into a really light and strong hiking stick. Do you have any experience with the stuff???

#88622 - 03/17/07 10:43 PM Re: Speaking of Hiking Staffs... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
kixonrt66 Offline

Hello OBG,
Actually I have a friend who has used these Saguaro "ribs" for hiking staffs before. They are very light and make a good temporary staff but they are not durable enough for a permanent one, sort of like the yucca stalks I have used. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to use one in a pinch though.
Kix

#88623 - 03/17/07 10:57 PM Re: Speaking of Hiking Staffs... [Re: kixonrt66]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Thanks for the info. Next time I find a dead one I might cut myself a chunk, just to play with...

#88671 - 03/18/07 01:50 PM Re: Speaking of Hiking Staffs... [Re: samhain]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
i too have a wooden staff i use. i purchased it at cold steel's parking lot sale. some type of chinese wood - according to their website, but now no longer available. i think no longer available due to the relatively high shipping cost in comparison to the staff itself. i also saw something like it on several martial art websites.

edited - it is 'wax wood'.

mine is unvarnished as wet is not an issue where i hike.

i have a copper 'plumbing' cap epoxyied (sp?) to the bottom.

and i have it wrapped top and bottom as seen here:

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

"hiking staff"

i have grown to like mine and use it every time i go out.

the question i have is: what type and size hook do you use? i had thought about that but wasn't sure if the hook would get in the way or catch on someone's hand if we were using the staff to pull someone up an incline.

thanks,
bsmith

Edited by bsmith (03/18/07 02:25 PM)
Edit Reason: clarify wood type

#88703 - 03/18/07 08:21 PM Re: Speaking of Hiking Staffs... [Re: bsmith]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Why not use a loop of rope?

#88766 - 03/19/07 03:15 AM Re: Speaking of Hiking Staffs... [Re: bsmith]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I use one of those rubber coated hooks you use to hang your bike up with (by the wheels, upside down).

It's about 7 inches long from tip of threads to curve.

The hook is about 3 inches wide from tip to shaft.

The curve of the hook is parallel to the top of the staff with the thread screwed into the staff at an angle.

Once the hook is screwed in as far as I want it, I bend it so that the shaft of the hook is flush against the staff (kinda looks like a shepherd's crook).

I've wrapped some cord around the staff at the hooks insertion site and shaft in a vain attempt to have something that looks like cocks-combing and to provide some stability (Not pretty but it works).

It hasn't gotten in the way at all in fact the "V" shape the hook's shaft and the staff make at the top are pretty handy for pushing branches/briars up over my head while I walk under them.

The hook at the top of the staff also acts like a lever to better steer the staff as I'm descending hills or rocks.

I've taken a picture of it and attempted to attach it to this post but I don't have a website to give it a URL address (am I saying this right?).

Like most men, I know how to download pictures (don't ask), but I'm not real savvy about how to upload them. blush

I guess I'm going to have to join the rest of the planet and put a "my space" site of my own (I feel so old).

#88790 - 03/19/07 01:22 PM Re: Speaking of Hiking Staffs...
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Around here hazel is probably the best option. Pretty light and strong and you can find long straight saplings easily. In a pinch you could also make a bow out of it (even green wood if a dry sapling is not available).

#88840 - 03/20/07 01:24 AM Re: Speaking of Hiking Staffs... [Re: benjammin]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Or is it staves???

Anyways, what makes for a good hiking staff, either natural or manufactured?

I've always said "staves".

A good staff does the job you need it to do. What are your priorities?

Many people here have commented that they like the high-tech sort of ski pole like walking sticks. Myself, I have a pair of three-section Komperdell poles (rebranded by EMS) that I use for skiing only, mainly because I switch off between Salomon 1080 skis and Line Jedi 89 skiboards, so if I don't want to use the poles for awhile, they can be collapsed and strapped to my backpack.

I would never use these things as general hiking sticks, or even worse "survival sticks". They're just not sturdy enough to do anything other than what they were specifically designed to do, and I'd rather have something a bit more versatile, sturdier, and more reliable than multi-section aluminum sticks with lots of parts.

Around town, I use a Cold Steel City Stick. Nice thick fiberglass stick with a pretty polished stainless steel head. It only lacks two things. One is a proper tip, solved by sticking a standard black crutch tip on the end, available at any pharmacist. The other is something to hold it up when you need your hands free. I need to put some nice cord around it for that, because I keep dropping it and nicking up the head. Now I know why so many canes and umbrellas have a crook! I think I want to get another one and paint it brown for vanity's sake.

My favorite stick these days is a Red Oak stick that I hand carved (well, whittled, really) out of a spacer from a stack of lumber from back in the days when I used to work at a lumber yard. Just the other day, I gave it a nice coat of beeswax polish. It's about the length of a Jo staff (4.5 feet or so), and about 1-1/8 inch thick. Someday, I will replace it with a prettier version with nice shod ends. I think I'd like Japanese White Oak (shirakashi), like my favorite drum sticks from Pro-Mark.

The Crawford Survival Staff looks neat, too, if a bit pricey!

Edited by amper (03/20/07 01:25 AM)

#88874 - 03/20/07 01:07 PM Re: Speaking of Hiking Staffs... [Re: amper]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
thank you for the explanation of your hook. i can see how it really must come in handy for you.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.