Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88371 - 03/15/07 12:36 AM MacGyvering and the Zen moment in ETS
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, so on another thread we are discussing alternative uses for items that can help us survive, what we've referred to in the past as "MacGyverisms".

So the zen of our art, then is not only about knowing what works, but also about making what is available work to our benefit. Given the vast knowledge and creative talents of our group, maybe we could list off some alternative uses for everyday things that others might not realize. This could be big so let's limit each post to one or two really good citations eh?

Mine are:

Using a CD/DVD as a reflector/signaling device, and

Making a cutting tool by breaking glass.

Okay, who's next?

#88384 - 03/15/07 02:37 AM Re: MacGyvering and the Zen moment in ETS [Re: benjammin]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I have very dry skin, so I use the PJ off my cotten balls for skin care, also use the out side shell of some 550 cord for laces on my boots. ZEN

#88391 - 03/15/07 03:29 AM Re: MacGyvering and the Zen moment in ETS [Re: big_al]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Used my eye glasses the other day to start a fire while on a small hike in the woods nearby.

#88406 - 03/15/07 05:14 AM Re: MacGyvering and the Zen moment in ETS [Re: MichaelJ07]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I once used those sticky nylon patches in a tent repair kit to patch a tear on the seat of my old jeans in the middle of my shift at work, until I could have time to go home and sew them up later.

#88409 - 03/15/07 05:28 AM Re: MacGyvering and the Zen moment in ETS [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
Well, this one time... it was a pretty crazy situation, and we needed a solution fast, so we, um,

Used a nalgene bottle for a martini shaker.

And my heart was full of joy...
J

#88412 - 03/15/07 05:38 AM Re: MacGyvering and the Zen moment in ETS [Re: benjammin]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The late great writer/lecturer Alan Watts told a very young Chris the folllowing story on his houseboat during a lecture. In old Kyoto a buddhist monk and samurai boarded a small ferry to cross one of the many lakes. A very big, very drunk samurai also boarded, and after a few moments challenged our monk to a duel. Our monk had two duties; to uphold his own samurai honour and also promote peace and harmony. He told the drunk, " look, if we fight here people will get hurt. Boatman, take us over to that little sandbar. I'll fight you there" The boatman complied. the drunk was in such a hurry to fight he leaped from the vessel onto the sand. Our monk quickly grabbed the ferrryman's pole and pushed the boat back onto the lake, leaving the drunk to sober up. He honoured both duties; defeating his opponent through gile and protecting innocent life, including the drunk's. The lesson here is a simple hiking staff in our kit can preclude the need for all those tactical knives that throw our compasses and bank balances all out of wack. You can also change the TEE VEE channel with it if a good Kurasawa flick is coming on and somebody was watching Wheel of Fortune. Conserving energy is also a survival tenant.

#88416 - 03/15/07 06:35 AM Re: MacGyvering and the Zen moment in ETS [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
I like to polish the back side of my ipod for use as a mirror / signaling device.

#88423 - 03/15/07 12:38 PM Re: MacGyvering and the Zen moment in ETS [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I hadn't heard that one, Chris- that's even better than the tea master.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88425 - 03/15/07 01:10 PM Re: MacGyvering and the Zen moment in ETS [Re: benjammin]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

In the days before cell phones my buddy and I were shooting in the desert and he locked his keys in his truck. He used his truck's antenna like a Slim Jim and got the door opened. I was suitably impressed.

#88426 - 03/15/07 01:11 PM Re: MacGyvering and the Zen moment in ETS [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX

1. using jumper cables to attach an umbrella to my chair to make shade.

2. using a plastic grocery bag as a disposible bib for the baby (okay, DW came up with that one).

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.