Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#88319 - 03/14/07 01:53 PM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: stealthedc]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
The security guard did an excellent job of profiling ahead of time. A guy pacing nervously while trying to hide something in his hands by wrapping a shirt around it.

Keeping your eyes on the environment around you & looking for clues is the 1st step. Just an hour ago I was driving along at 45 mph & a mini-van whipped out in front of me & if I hadn't been looking at him as I approached I'm sure I would have hit him in the side/back. I braked really hard & hit the horn and based on this kid's (driving to school) reaction I don't think he saw me. Survival in this world is all about playing good defense. Which definitely applies to the car jacking scenario.

The best advice I've read on this thread so far is "keeping a handgun loaded & ready" - of course I'm one of those crazy uncivilized Americans who thinks we should be allowed to protect ourselves with an "evil" gun.

#88320 - 03/14/07 01:57 PM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: ponder]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
Good topic. I have no statistics to back it up, but I'm guessing the odds of me getting car jacked are much higher than me getting lost in the wilderness. When I camp/hike I just don't go into that remote of areas.

#88321 - 03/14/07 02:21 PM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: benjammin]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: benjammin

I call that maneuver "the soiler".

Too funny!

#88323 - 03/14/07 02:39 PM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: Blackeagle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That's it!!! Thanks. I want one...

#88374 - 03/15/07 12:49 AM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: NightHiker]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Many years ago I was driving in central Miami. I stopped at a red light with space between me and the car in front. A old junker pulled tight behind me and a guy came to the open window brandishing a el-cheepo fixed blade knife. Just as he started to talk, I stuck a 4" python on his nose, hard, and pulled the hammer back. His eyes opened very wide while I mentioned it might be a good time to move the car behind me and leave. Must have been the motivation factor of those 6 158gr HP that got his attention, as he left FAST, with a puddle spreading on the ground! grin

#88415 - 03/15/07 06:32 AM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

O.K. people, It's well and good to tell anecdotes of firearm bravado. Not every state or nation has an Arizona program for concealed carry. But they all have rather severe legal hurdles for anyone using a firearm, even with provable justification. Please, no judged by 12 than carried by 6 platitudes. The forum opened our general discussion of urban concerns some time past.There was concern and displeasure by many of the can of worms, or ammo we had opened. Firearms, while a valid topic has always been a flashpoint. And while Doug and myself both have a general idea which ends goes bang we prefer the forum devote itself to it's genre. There are lots of fine forums devoted to the subject of urban crime and how many angels can disco on a .455 Webly manstopper. I won't lock this thread. But if anyone feels survival equates firstly and solely around a Daisy 1000 shot Red Rider lever action beauty with compass in the stock you may be in the wrong place, not unwelcome to participate. We only ask you remember and show consideration for our mission and audience.

#88417 - 03/15/07 07:39 AM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: NightHiker]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
There are very few things indeed that compare in importance to SITUATIONAL AWARENESS.

In the end, this says it all... not just in this situation but in all.

#88436 - 03/15/07 03:38 PM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Blackeagle Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Not every state or nation has an Arizona program for concealed carry. But they all have rather severe legal hurdles for anyone using a firearm, even with provable justification.

I always liked the quote one guy has in his sig on another forum I frequent:

"That gun on your hip is not a solution to any problem. Instead, it is a tool for substituting one set of problems for another. The key is knowing when that substitution is needed."

Using a firearm for self defense is a serious matter, and it should always be a last resort. However, when the use of a firearm is necessary and appropriate, there's probably nothing else that will do the job adequetely.

#88445 - 03/15/07 05:06 PM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
At the risk of leading the thread away from its original topic -

"Equipped For a Carjacking" (It was about two sisters that were equipped to survive a strong arm carjacking in Boise. As a side note, the accused admitted his intention was murder. The efforts of the sisters led to his immediate arrest)

Chris's comment raised my interest -
"....But they all have rather severe legal hurdles for anyone using a firearm, even with provable justification...."

I can think of many reasons for the comment. I would not want to guess on its basis without an input from Chris. I would read any clairifications with great interest.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.