Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88180 - 03/13/07 01:24 AM Equipped For a Carjacking?
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Are you equipped both mentally and physically to survive a carjacking? Some just drive off. Some die. There are an infinite number of variables. ONE of the common variables is that the carjacker WANTS and may NEED your keys. He may or may not want you.

Two Boise sisters tested their version -

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-mar1207-carjacking_suspect.7d617e7.html
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#88183 - 03/13/07 02:00 AM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: ponder]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I just keep my door locked and windows rolled up while driving (the AC is easier on me than 60 mph wind in my face), and I try to leave space in front of me to turn out of line, if necessary. Thirty years of driving and I haven't been carjacked yet.

Besides, my truck can outrun even the speediest of runners.

#88188 - 03/13/07 02:25 AM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: ponder]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
check out this video of a carjacking at Target in Durham NC. The guy is using a long knife to carjack the victim. Pretty good video to see what to do (get out of immediate danger like a buthcer knife) and what not to do (stand behind the car as the carjacker attempts to flee) in a carjacking.

THIS CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE FOLKS. Not just LA, NY or Miami but at the local Target (Walmart, mall, etc) in Yourtown, USA.

The best two things to do to prepare yourself for a carjacking and carjacking prevention are phisiological: 1. Know your surroundings. 2. Go by your gut feeling.

And oh yeah - lots of people high on drugs or with severe mental illness have high thresholds for pain.

#88190 - 03/13/07 02:28 AM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: ponder]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
carjacking video

Okay, two clicks away for the video. Click on this link for the article, then click on RAW VIDEO: Carjacking at Durham Target

#88194 - 03/13/07 03:42 AM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: ponder]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
That is why I want a cougar like Ricky Bobby has...

#88231 - 03/13/07 03:32 PM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: Alan_Romania]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Doors locked and a .45

#88304 - 03/14/07 03:34 AM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: KenK]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: KenK
I just keep my door locked and windows rolled up while driving (the AC is easier on me than 60 mph wind in my face), and I try to leave space in front of me to turn out of line, if necessary. Thirty years of driving and I haven't been carjacked yet.

Besides, my truck can outrun even the speediest of runners.

KenK,

You are smarter than that! Just because something has not happened in the past does not mean it cannot happen in the future. Your car/truck windows are not bulletproof or crowbar proof. You can easily be stuck in traffic where you can not drive away no matter how much space you have in front of you.

The best anti-carjacking advice I have is to be aware of your surroundings whenever your car is not moving. Have a loaded handgun close at hand, round in the chamber. If you see someone that looks dangerous, and close, get the gun in your hand and be ready. When he comes running up, you will not want to move or provoke anything. You need to have the loaded handgun, in your hand, ready to go, before the threat is at your window.

If you can drive away, do it. If you are going to be in a fire fight get out of your vehicle! Sitting in a fixed location while someone shoots at you is not good. If you can just run away, do it. If you have some dope head that just wants to kill someone you better be ready to shoot and keep shooting until the threat is over. Your dog or window is not going to save your life.

P.P.P.P.P. Army lingo.

#88309 - 03/14/07 04:24 AM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: Craig_phx]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Years ago I was hanging out with a friend that owns a pawn shop. He was closing up one night while I was there, and as we were leaving in his car, a few delinquents approached the vehicle from his side. As they came closer, he pulled his Baretta from the shoulder holster and held it down between his legs out of sight. He was smooth about it so the BGs didn't notice. The front man kept coming, and knocked on the window. My pal rolled it down about halfway, and the front man says "Hey, why don't you give us the car." to which my pal sticks the muzzle out the window just a bit and says "Hey, why don't you run away really quick before this goes off". The front man backs into his two buddies, who didn't see or hear what just happened, but soon enough they are all ambulating away, and we pull back in and call the cops, who are about two minutes away, and I never did find out if those three got nabbed.

I call that maneuver "the soiler".

I been thinking about installing spray nozzles on either side of the cab of my pickup, just under the door, along with igniters. Anyone care to guess what they'll do?

#88310 - 03/14/07 04:33 AM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I used to have a video saved showing a car, in Europe someplace I think, that had a flame thrower thingy build it, you could toast the badguy at the touch of a button. ACLU or someone would probably say that was a bad thing over here...

#88313 - 03/14/07 05:25 AM Re: Equipped For a Carjacking? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blackeagle Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I used to have a video saved showing a car, in Europe someplace I think, that had a flame thrower thingy build it, you could toast the badguy at the touch of a button.

Actually, it's from South Africa. Carjacking (along with many other types of violent crime) is a huge problem over there.

Edited by Blackeagle (03/14/07 05:26 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.