The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88293 - 03/14/07 02:03 AM Wrapping your PSK
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I've wondered about this for quite a while, so I thought I would ask.

If you have something like an Altoids PSK, do you wrap it with anything, like duct tape, electrical tape, fishing line or 550 cord? Not just a bit to keep it closed or sealed, but around and around and around?

And if you do, why? Isn't that a great way to slow down access to something you might need in a hurry?

I use mine quite frequently, and if I had to unwind a bunch of stuff, I wouldn't use it much at all, and probably wouldn't bother carrying it after a while. The one time I really needed my lighter, I was hyperventilating, sweating, scared to death and my hands were shaking (bear). If I had had to unwrap 20' of duct tape from around it first, I doubt that I could have gotten it open.

So, what's the thinking on this?

Sue

#88299 - 03/14/07 02:54 AM Re: Wrapping your PSK [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My PSK is Dougs kit, moved into a metal tin, and added a few more items. Not an Altoids tin, but close. I don't ever get into it (and hopefully never will, except to check the condition of the contents from time to time), so I have wrapped the edges with that rubbery tape electricians use that "melts" into itself. Then I wrapped the whole thing with paracord. My hope is that helps waterproof the thing. I have other goodies that I carry that are more readily accessable if I need them...

#88302 - 03/14/07 03:12 AM Re: Wrapping your PSK [Re: OldBaldGuy]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I have several PSK's And none of them are opened on a reglaur basis. If you have a need for a lot of the items in your kit, Make a large EDC kit that you can open and close as much as you like, then your PSK will be complete and ready for use when you need it (Ihope you don't have to use it). I have a small red pouch that I carry Items that I use when I am Hikeing,or camping. The pouch is small about 5" squaire and fits in my pocket.

#88305 - 03/14/07 03:36 AM Re: Wrapping your PSK [Re: big_al]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
My PSKs are Altoids tins and I only wrap them with about 6 or 7 (I'd have to go count...maybe it's a few more) wraps of paracord. To start I make a slip-knot and a large loop that is the initial wrap. The last wrap is pushed and pulled under a couple of other wraps and to undo it, I just need to get the end free a little and pull. I probably should, but I don;t worry much about waterproofing mine.

#88316 - 03/14/07 01:26 PM Re: Wrapping your PSK [Re: Stretch]
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
I wrap mine in about 15 feet of paracord, which equates to one layer of 550 cord around the tin. This keeps the bulk down and keeps the lid from popping open.

I have recently moved from an otterbox to an altoids tin due to size (I wanted to make it smaller). I was having a problem keeping it closed, so wrapping it in 550 cord helps to keep the lid from popping open and it does give a limited amount of cordage if I am away from my truck or a lose my pack, where in both I have fifty or more feet of the stuff.

Garrett

#88339 - 03/14/07 05:18 PM Re: Wrapping your PSK [Re: Susan]
NAro Offline
Addict

Sue, when I'm actually using an Altoids tin I don't wrap it. I have the same issues with quick access, and have had the hypothermia experience. However, I made an oversized "Ranger Band" out of a bicycle inner tube and rubber cement. This slips over the tin and holds it closed quite well. And a slice of the innertube rubber is a fabulous addition to the firestarter system.

#88348 - 03/14/07 06:14 PM Re: Wrapping your PSK [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I wrap my tins along the edge with electricians tape, but my PSK is the last resort of the last resort. Everything in it is duplicated elsewhere in my gear, and if I'm only carrying my PSK and PMK, I'm a little underdressed as a result. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88380 - 03/15/07 01:33 AM Re: Wrapping your PSK [Re: Susan]
hthomp Offline
Outdorus Fanaticas
Journeyman

Loc: AR
My Altoids kit is pretty much reserved for if-I-NEED-it-only access, as I have probably way too much other items readily available here and there.

So, it is wrapped with some electrician's tape a couple of times around the edges to help seal them.

Then, I have one layer of paracord wrapped around that.

Finally, I have hunter orange duct tape wrapped around that in a couple of layers for visibility, and have listed the contents on the tape, written with a Sharpie.

Now...with every piece of tape that I use for something like that, I take the last couple of inches and double it back on itself, making a pull-tab.

I don't want to be fumbling around for tape edges should I need fairly quick access to the contents.

#88381 - 03/15/07 02:21 AM Re: Wrapping your PSK [Re: hthomp]
hailstone Offline

Loc: Montana
Mine is wrapped, but you can still get into it.

#88392 - 03/15/07 03:35 AM Re: Wrapping your PSK [Re: hailstone]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Okay, thanks!

I probably should refer to my PSK as my EDC, since that's what it is. But it has some of my most important stuff in it, and that stuff gets used.

I wonder if anyone found my previous kit on the trail when my friend and I were surprised by the bear? I left everything lying on the ground but the lighter. Dummy!

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.