Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#88126 - 03/12/07 06:07 PM How not to be seen - MARPAT or DPM
Anonymous
Unregistered

All though the equipped survival website is involved in survival and rescue signaling techniques, in certain circumstances it is sometimes appropriate to ask 'How not to be seen' in the wilderness as can be demostrated at YouTube.

Which camouflage would you recommend, US army MARPAT, British DPM or German Flecktarn etc? What is your favorite camouflage style and what would you not be seen dead in?

Edited by bentirran (03/12/07 06:19 PM)

#88129 - 03/12/07 06:46 PM Re: How not to be seen - MARPAT or DPM [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I would prefer to conceal in the water and wear something to blend into that environment. Maybe dress up like a SEAL to really be invisible wink

#88132 - 03/12/07 06:58 PM Re: How not to be seen - MARPAT or DPM [Re: Russ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi RAS - A few years ago I was explaining to my mom that in Afghanistan, the US army had to rescue some SEALS from the top of a mountain. She asked what were SEALS were doing on top of a mountain in Afghanistan in the first place. I said the Navy had put them there. She replied 'That was very cruel of them !'.

#88133 - 03/12/07 06:59 PM Re: How not to be seen - MARPAT or DPM [Re: Russ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I only wear camo when I hunt, and haven't been doing much of that lately. When I do, it is usually birds in a semi-desert area, and I have some USGI three color desert camo that I like. To me those who wear come fancy tiger stripe or something around town look silly, like they are GI Joe wannabes.

I do like big pockets tho, and have a couple pair of really aged OD jungle fatigue pants that I still sometimes wear when wandering the boonies...

#88138 - 03/12/07 07:12 PM Re: How not to be seen - MARPAT or DPM [Re: NightHiker]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
...My personal choice is non-camoulflage pattern but natural colors that help me blend in to whatever environment, field or urban.

...Most of the times it's movement or noise that will give you away if you're trying to remain unnoticed.

X2 While playing paintball (in the forests of NW Oregon), I have found that knowing when to hold still, staying above or below someone's normal line of sight, and using the shadows are the most effective ways to hide. I normally play in a light tan windbreaker and khaki pants, and often times, I'm harder to find than the guys in camo.

#88144 - 03/12/07 08:33 PM Re: How not to be seen - MARPAT or DPM [Re: ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Seems to me that there are nuances of "in the wilderness."

For all-out non-observability check into sniper gear and techniques such as ghillie suits.

For being inconspicuous to the authorities in varying circumstances military or even hunting camo might be too troublesome compared to generic greens and browns.
Consider how well your "why no, officer, I ALWAYS wear my LBE and camo my face when I commute to my shift at the 7-11. Why
do you ask?" will go down at the roadblock.

Even the seasonal foliage of that wilderness would matter a lot because background determines what you should be trying to match. (deep snow vs summertime green)

You can buy gray BDU pants and jacket which is a nice unobtrusive color and very functional.

As other posters have noted, practicing the art of staying in shadows, staying still, and being in unexpected elevations helps a lot. Just ask any Bigfoot fan :-)

unimogbert

#88148 - 03/12/07 08:55 PM Re: How not to be seen - MARPAT or DPM [Re: ]
hazeywolf Offline

Crye "multicam" has had some great reviews and is rumored to be a possible replacement for the US MARPAT/CADPAT; http://www.multicampattern.com/. From what I've read, its one of the best camo patterns for multiple environments.

I also like some of the Natural Gear camo patterns - http://www.naturalgear.com/

The digital MARPAT style camo has been scientifically proven to be great camo against human vision at long ranges, but I don't think its so great at very close range.

The Realtree (http://www.realtree.com/) and Advantage (http://www.advantagecamo.com/) camo companies produce a great range of very effective products which can be utilized in very specific environments/terrain.

I like to wear camo in nature because I feel like I blend in a little better - its a psychological thing. Wearing paramilitary style gear is a red flag to many people though, and it may be better to wear plain clothes in an SHTF situation, and camoflauge them with mud/dirt/grasses/branches if you ever felt you needed to camo up. Both people and animals have keen eyes for movement, so the best camo is good cover.

Camo won't help you avoid being tracked if you don't know how to move stealthily and without leaving sign, nor provide much respite from infrared instruments. Knowledge of scent control is the most important aspect of wilderness concealment when hunting.

Edited by hazeywolf (03/12/07 08:57 PM)

#88151 - 03/12/07 09:17 PM Re: How not to be seen - MARPAT or DPM [Re: ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I prefer #4 woodland for the Lousy-anna area but I will not wear cammies unless I'm in the woods. I agree with the comment made earlier about people wearing cammies on the street does, in my opinion, look like wannabe G.I. Joes.
If I have to leave work and make my way home, cross country, then I'm going through urban areas in combat boots, blue jeans, khaki shirt, and blue ball cap.
Nothing bright colored, nothing that stands out to cops. Using work clothes (merchant marine) just reinforces my "passing through" story at any roadblocks that I fail to skirt around.
I do like the new digital patterns and I am contemplating getting a set. I look at them and basically, I have to refocus my eyes. That impresses me.

#88153 - 03/12/07 09:47 PM Re: How not to be seen - MARPAT or DPM [Re: wildman800]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
The older pattern camo works amazingly well where I live. But, like others said, movement gives everything away. And, bushes allow light to shine through. Humans do not wink

#88155 - 03/12/07 10:00 PM Re: How not to be seen - MARPAT or DPM [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to all the responses so far, some very interesting comments.
I am actually quite surprised at some of the comments about the issue of roadblocks (police roadblocks I assume) and the wearing of camouflage materials in relation to the authorities. Being based in Northern Europe specifically Scotland, I personally have never been stopped at a roadblock as roadblocks are something that to my knowledge I have ever heard of one except for the G8 conference at Glen Eagles a few years back when President Bush was there (apparently landed his helicopter on the 18th - absolutely unforgivable) or there was a major incident such as a gas leak. Are roadblocks setup routinely in the US? Anyway even if I was to be stopped at a roadblock by the police why would they have any cause for suspicion even if you were wearing a camouflage smock or jacket? Some high street Camouflage clothing is actually considered quite fashionable over here. You can even get a DPM Kilt. Not exactly my idea of fashion but I think this demonstrates the point.
Thanks to all for the links to the suppliers of US camo. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.