Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#88044 - 03/11/07 09:42 PM Katadyn tablets
norhumco Offline

Loc: Penngrove, CA
So i was reading the Precautionary Statements on the exterior packaging of the Katadyn Micropur MP1 Tablets. I couldn't help but notice that this product; causes irreversible eye damage and skin burns, harmful if swallowed, that it is toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms and to keep away from organic materials.

A lot of folks here talk about this product and it does seem to be very convenient, but right know I am a little reluctant to let my family drink water treated with this stuff. Can someone make me feel better about this product and the inherent dangers?

Now that I think about it, the bleach i have used periodically through the years to treat stored water has the same kind of hazards.

#88049 - 03/11/07 10:23 PM Re: Katadyn tablets [Re: norhumco]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
The caution you speak of is for the tablets before they go into the water. After they disolve the tabs go through a chemical reaction.
It oxidizes the water and kills the pathogens.
Once it has reacted there is no chlorine dioxide left in the water.

Just upen the package carefully and drop the tab into the water without ever touching it. It is easy to do this.

#88050 - 03/11/07 10:26 PM Re: Katadyn tablets [Re: norhumco]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Well yes, if you popped the cap off your favorite gallon jug of household bleach, took a couple of generous slugs, poured a half of a cup or so in your eyes (letting the rest run down into your still thristy mouth), dumped a quart or so into your ten-gallon aquarium, and poured the rest over your Caladiums, then I suppose all the warnings would be true.

I think what Katadyn is warning about is using the product contrary to directions. I have the tablets and have used them in practice, and I have yet to notice any detrimental effects.

If I were dying of thirst and fell down at the nearest ranch watering hole, slurping up as much water as I could, then walked home and chewed a handful or three of Micropur tabs (thinking that might make up for my drinking dung water), I might have a problem.

#88058 - 03/11/07 11:25 PM Re: Katadyn tablets [Re: norhumco]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The warning is there so that if people can't be bothered or are simply too stupid to comprehend the directions eat the things, the manufacturer can't be held liable because some whiny charlatan of an ambulance chaser talks the next of kin into a law suit.

Used properly by someone who is at least a simple idiot (rather than a special idiot) they are perfectly safe if you can stand the smell, and even if they don't save your life directly they at least remove one potential problem. Used improperly, Darwin in action. Just like toothpaste, deodorant, pens, a cup of coffee, a coffee cup, cleaning products, elevators, gasoline, lighters, knives, firearms, power tools, electric lights, automobiles, water, food and oxygen.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88069 - 03/12/07 01:33 AM Re: Katadyn tablets [Re: ironraven]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ironraven
they are perfectly safe if you can stand the smell

Huh? When used properly, there is no smell and little or no perceptible taste. Are you sure you're talking about Chlorine Dioxide or old-fashioned chlorine, two totally different products?
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#88071 - 03/12/07 01:35 AM Re: Katadyn tablets [Re: billym]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Although Katadyn MP1 Tablets are probably the safest of all the chemical treatments available because of the different types of nasties it can deal with there are better solutions for purifying water. The Steripen Adventurer with Solar Charger Case is I think the neatest solution available when used in conjunction with a Millbank bag. The Millbank Bank is used to firstly filter the water to remove any particulate matter. The Steripen system then uses UV light to destroy any nasties DNA, which effectively destroying the ability to reproduce. The Steripen system is also probably the quickest way to purify water. I know of nothing that will produce a litre of purified water so quickly in the field. The Steripen system will not cope with water contaminated with chemicals, although again no other system currently available claims that it can except possibly a distillation system of water purification. Highly recommended. The only other problem is that the Steripen system is to just to large for a PSK although it probably also one of the lightest and smallest non chemical tablet systems available.

#88077 - 03/12/07 02:07 AM Re: Katadyn tablets [Re: norhumco]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
That’s just legalese for the following instructions:
  1. Don’t stick the tablet in your eye.
  2. Try not to handle the tablet for long periods of time.
  3. Don’t swallow the tablet. Water should be purified while in a separate container… not your stomach.
  4. Don’t feed tablet to your fish.
  5. Don’t feed tablet to anything else, either.

If used correctly, it’s already been proven that Katadyn Micropur MP1 tablets are perfectly safe. After all, the product page states “same proven technology that is used in municipal water supplies”, and you’re not dead yet.

#88082 - 03/12/07 03:17 AM Re: Katadyn tablets [Re: norhumco]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
I have used the MP1 tablets while hiking with the scouts. No odor, no taste. Light years of improvement over the old iodine tablets we used to put in water that turned the water yellow and tasted a little funky.

I think all of the warnings are there to protect the company if you are careless and handle the tablets improperly. Kind of like McDonalds writing "hot" on their coffee cups.

#88086 - 03/12/07 03:38 AM Re: Katadyn tablets [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I can smell it, hence my repacked PA tabs. It might be psychosomatic, but I can smell it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88446 - 03/15/07 05:09 PM Re: Katadyn tablets [Re: norhumco]
VeracityGear Offline

Loc: MD,USA
6 in onehand , and half of dozen in the other

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.