The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#88107 - 03/12/07 02:43 PM Re: Tea versus Coffee [Re: ]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bentirran
Tea is extremely important in a survival situation. Coffee is not.
In a highly stressful survival situation the brain of the individual may become confused and disorientated and panic may ensue. This will lead to the individual making the wrong decision, which will lead to a situation whereby the survival event is even more difficult to deal with. This will then lead to even more poor decision making with the consequent loss of life of the that individual. Survival ultimately is about making the correct decisions.
In the US army, soldiers are taught not to stop but to continue to be proactive, the assumption being that mistakes can be rectified and survival is assured. The assumption is that inactivity leads to a loss of moral and consequently gives rise to a sense apathy and defeat. This is the supposed flight or fight response to stressful stimuli. US army soldiers drink Coffee. Apparently caffeine is even put in that awful chewing gum stuff which makes you average GI even more hyper. This of course has its downside because I have even read that additives which cause constipation have been added to their MREs. The reasoning behind this I suppose is that it stops inappropriate bowl movements in highly stressful survival situation.
In the British Army the opposite applies but they have a secret weapon call the brew kit. In a highly stressful life threatening situation, the British soldier will sit down and make a nice cup of hot strong sweet tea if time allows and if the threat is not immediate. The act of making a nice cup of tea will allow the individual time enough to assess the situation and make the correct decisions and planning and allow the feelings of panic and stress to dissipate. Consequently this generally leads to a more successful outcome although too much tea drinking leads to a problem called swanning about as demonstrated at Youtube

I hear ya man. Between the caffeine and the constipation MRE's turn me into a killin' machine. (Rolls eyes)

#88663 - 03/18/07 06:27 AM Re: Tea versus Coffee [Re: norad45]
Sinjz Offline
Stranger

Loc: six blocks from ground zero
Hehehe... that bentirran post was funny. laugh

Anyway, I'm not sure if this has been brought up in response to someone saying coffee in a bag sucks, but if you have any asian supermarkets or stores near you check them out for single serving coffee packets. I've tried various flavors from both chinese and japanese companies. They were alright to me, but then again, I'm not a huge coffe drinker. Some come with sugar and non-dairy creamer already mixed in, others come with seperate packages for that stuff. Might be useful for those coffee nuts. smile

#88723 - 03/18/07 11:42 PM Re: Tea versus Coffee [Re: Sinjz]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Sorry to say, but it appears that Robert Timms brand won't be marketed in the states. Guess I will have to recruit one of my mates here in Brisbane to keep me connected. Oh well.

#88776 - 03/19/07 04:48 AM Re: Tea versus Coffee [Re: benjammin]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I've found recently that I don't mind drinking the Nescafe 100% Columbian freeze-dried on a daily basis. I wouldn't call myself a coffee snob, but I do know good coffee. Given my choice, it would be La Colombe for me all the time (a local company in Philadelphia run by French immigrants), but the Nescafe is pretty good and can be dissolved in cold water, which is easy to deal with in summer. I just drop some in a water bottle with milk and sugar, cap it, shake, and hit the road.

I like tea, but I don't really drink it, except for American-style icea tea with sugar and lemon. Honestly, the best teas I've had were herbal teas from The Tea Box at Takashimaya in NYC.

More importantly, I hate having to deal with the creamer issue. I used to buy a dried creamer made from real milk (can't remember the brand name, think it started with "O"), but I can't find it anymore anywhere near me. I won't drink non-dairy whitener unless forced.

I like my coffee (and hot tea) like I like my women, sweet and creamy.

For sweetener, I've latched onto Domino's "Brownulated" sugar. I like that extra bit of molasses in there, unless I'm drinking the coffee to really evaluate the taste of a particular variety.

Oh, and I also need to make another trip to Tazza d'Oro in Rome near the Pantheon for their excellent coffee and coffee liqueur. I've heard they sell internationally over the Internet, but it's more fun in person!

Edited by amper (03/19/07 04:50 AM)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.