Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#87815 - 03/08/07 11:42 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Ha, the last two tickets I got for speeding occurred while having intense verbal communications with my daughters. They were not pleased when dad missed passing the cop while going too fast. I can imagine the look they gave the officer when he handed me the ticket, after I just got after them for something, now they would be getting another, much heavier dose of it. I am certain they would rather have got the ticket themselves than to have been the cause for me to get stuck. Lesson learned for me, don't be "counseling" the kids while driving; the foot gets heavier and your vision gets obstructed.

#87817 - 03/08/07 11:58 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: mark161]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A few years after the speed limit was raised to 65 PA was still 55 with big signs at the state line usually with a state police car parked right under that sign. 79N from Morgantown WV into PA you went around a curve carved into the side of a mountain and then saw brake lights as people saw the state line, 55 limit sign and car sitting there. The PA state police would give tickets for doing 5+. I was driving through there late one night doing 55 and a car was tailgating me for miles refusing to pass and flashed the high beams at me a couple times. Finally it turned onto an offramp and I could then see it well enough to tell it was a police car.
There was a state high 48 through WV and MD which was turned into interstate highway 68 and was going to be extended all the way over to I77 so people could bypass PA and finally they gave in an raised the speed limit to 65 so I68 never went past Morgantown.

#87843 - 03/09/07 05:24 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Eugene]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
This is precisely the sort of thing that erodes public respect for our LEOs.

Yeah, they knew what they were doing, and it was deliberate. Shame.

#87845 - 03/09/07 05:34 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yup.

We seem to have hijacked this topic, maybe we should give it back...

#87867 - 03/09/07 02:28 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: stealthedc]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I hate the misuse of the word "literally", as in: "they were literally glued to the TV." Oh really? What kind of glue should you use for that? I also hate meaningless buzzwords like "paradigm" and "proactive". Relics of my office days I suppose.

#87878 - 03/09/07 04:31 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: stealthedc]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Tactical. As in "tactical sling, tactical gloves, tactical sights, tactical anything." If is looks even remotely military or police oriented it has to be "tactical" to sell I guess. Looking thru a catalog yesterday I discovered a "tactical" necktie. But at least that was a joke (I think), it had a beer (or soda) can holder and a pocket for sunglasses on it. I am really tired of tactical...

#88021 - 03/11/07 07:28 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Corporatese used in place of English. If you use enough of it, no one knows what you're talking about, what you're doing and, if you're middle or upper management, if you're actually doing anything.

'Facilitate' just means to help, or make easier.
'Leverage' means use (yes, that's the entire meaning).
'Downsizing' means mass firing of workers
'Restructuring' means mass firing of workers up through middle management.
'Food insecurity' means starvation.
'Transitional assistance' is still just welfare.
'Authoring' is writing.
A 'challenge' is a problem, usually a big one.
'Outsourcing' means giving your job to someone willing to work for a fraction of your pay.
'Implementing' just means to put into operation.
'Career-minded' really means that people with a life need not apply.
'Core values' = money and power.
'Team player' is a yes-man or brown-noser.
'Corporate vision' .... hallucinations.
A 'disconnect' means a misunderstanding.

And while I'm at it, how about pseudo-ebonics or whatever it's called, used by (usually) white teenagers and the adults that are still desperate to be 'in' after all these years. It goes especially well with guys who dress like they're homeless and the girls who dress like skanks, often known as the language of the illiterate with a speech impediment.

Where you at?
Where you bin?
I don't wanna dis 'im.

Yuck!

Sue

#88025 - 03/11/07 02:18 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You forgot
'remediate' = fix
'deep dive' = research/look into

#88184 - 03/13/07 02:07 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Eugene]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
Whenever someone I come into casual contact with says "Have a blessed day", I wanna reply "Do I have to?"

#88205 - 03/13/07 05:21 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Blacktop]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
That reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw back when "Have a nice day" was a relatively new phrase.

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT KIND OF DAY TO HAVE!"

It is said that in response to "How are you?" as a mindless greeting, actress Katherine Hepburn would respond, "Fine. If you don't ask for details".

Sue

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.