Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#88217 - 03/13/07 12:31 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Susan]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I like George Carlin's response to "How are you?"

"I'm not unwell thank you"

I get the greatest puzzled looks from folks and it makes them think.

#88239 - 03/13/07 04:17 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: samhain]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I sometimes reply: "I am operating within designed parameters, thank-you" Thanks to the Star Trek writers that came up with that line for Cdr Data.

#88477 - 03/15/07 10:06 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: wildman800]
monkey Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
The word... irregardless

#88496 - 03/16/07 12:35 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: monkey]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Irregardless ain't a word. cry

#88520 - 03/16/07 04:39 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Roarmeister]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Irregardlessly... (heeheehee)

Sue

#88544 - 03/16/07 05:28 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Roarmeister]
monkey Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Exactly!

Technically... it i is a word (so is ain't!). But it still drives me nuts.

#88670 - 03/18/07 01:44 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: stealthedc]
BlackSwan Offline

I dislike being referred to as a "consumer" or a "taxpayer"

Tells you what our coporate and political masters think of us.

People used to be "citizens"

#88686 - 03/18/07 05:05 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: BlackSwan]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I abhor the use of the term "The American people.....". It implies that the speaker is seperate and apart from them.

I hate people who say very, very, etc. "So many people are very, very, very disallusioned...." "She's just a very, very, very kind and caring person..."

I can't stand this: "Hey Stretch, how ya doin?" "Doin ok, thanks, you?" "Good, good, good". Anything more than one "good" is no good.

I hate talking heads on the news who quote statistics with flippancy. "99.9 per cent of the American people believe that...." These humpheads have yet to study their own conscience, let alone what percentage of people believe anything.

I abhor people who are "offended" at seeing a religious symbol. It's a clear indication that their lives are already ruined, what damage could a little more offensiveness do? I'm "offended" by their selfishness.

I dislike (immediately) any person who, in a discussion involving race, makes statements like "...some of my best friends are black ....". This is a clear indication to me that the person has probably never had a Black friend or even acquaintance and is afraid of their own "guilt".

As someone already said, it drives me crazy when people, usually cashiers, say "Have a nice day!" (as if they care). Better for me is "Thanks! Next!" I like that. Clear, direct, honest.

It drives me crazy to see the word "Please" overused. Now, mind you, politeness is a virtue, but overusing it is akin to begging. I was reading the revised forum rules yersday and, (sorry Doug, nothing personal here. Allow me a little humor, "please") I noticed that every sentence began with "please". I thought "Hey Doug, this is your forum, just lay out the rules and we'll follow them".

"Please" is so completely overused. "Please don;t litter". "Please slow down for the safety of highway workers. Thank You" -- How about this?: "Don;t litter". "Slow down and observe warning signs". Is that offensive to anyone?

I love this thread. I am NOT having a bad day. I am NOT angry. Some of my best friends are happy. Please forgive me.

smile

#88804 - 03/19/07 03:31 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: stealthedc]
kixonrt66 Offline

I can't stand people who call any sheath knife over three inches long a "Bowie". Just because it's a sheath knife does not make it a "Bowie"

I don't like people who think they are James Bond because they can walk into a Starbucks and spout out an order for some seemingly super complex coffee ie: "I'd like a Grande Hazelnut Double Shot Mocha Latte hold the Whipped Cream". This is pretentious BS. I keep waiting for one of them to say "Shaken Not Stirred".

Also under the pretentious BS category are folks who order a mediocre bottle of wine at a mediocre restaurant and suddenly act like they are the owner of a 500 year old vinyard in France. I love to watch the expression on the waiter's face at Olive Garden, when some idiot who just took a wine tasting class expounds on the virtues of some ordinary Chardonnay with terms like "Fruity" "Oakey" with "Musky Overtones" and a "Dry" finish, when the truth is the guy couldn't tell the difference between Boones Farm Strawberry Hill and Kool-Aid.

I'm tired of people saying to me how great things are "In MY Country". I really don't care a lot about the habits and customs in "Your" country. If things were so great there, why did they come here? Could it be that there are no jobs, no money and abject poverty in "YOUR" country? If you want to come here and take a job, make money and live in the greatest nation in the world OK, but don't constantly tell everybody how great "Your" country is. If it's so great maybe you should go back and live in that corrugated tin shack with a mud floor that you left behind!

I'm tired of certain politicians hiding behind the phrase "For Reasons of National Security" while they trample all over the bill of rights like a doormat. The founding fathers of this country made these rules so that megalomaniac politicans can't suddenly decide that they have become "King" instead of President and can throw aside the Constitution and Bill of Rights whenever they become "inconvenient". We can't as a nation continue to have leaders who think that the rules apply to everyone but them. As a people we need to take back this country from the politicians and special interest groups.
Rule number one: You cannot under any circumstances run for, or be elected to ANY Federal public office if you are or have ever been a LAWYER!

#88805 - 03/19/07 03:36 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
kixonrt66 Offline

Ha! I love this response! It leaves absolutely no doubt as to what is going on.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.