Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#87622 - 03/07/07 05:45 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: DesertFox]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Like every job, it has its good point and bad points. Before the CHP I worked in the oil fields, which was actually more dangerous, and there are more highway workers killed on the job every year than peace officers, it just isn't as news worthy. Last I heard, insurance companies say that the flight deck of an aircraft carrier is one of the most dangerous workplaces there are. But peace officers are the ones who get the complaints and lawsuits...

#87632 - 03/07/07 02:32 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: DesertFox]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: DesertFox

He asked me, "Sir, do you know why I stopped you?" I said, "Yep. I was speeding."

I'm glad it worked out for you that time. I always remain silent and let the officer tell me why he stopped me. Confessing may indeed be good for the soul but it hasn't done squat for my driving record. I don't get many tickets but admitting I was speeding never seemed to reduce their number any. The last one I got I was doing about 50 in a 40. The officer wrote the ticket for 4 over.

#87644 - 03/07/07 04:16 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: norad45]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Amazing. I never wrote one for less than ten over in 30+ years...

#87696 - 03/07/07 10:40 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
That's why I drove 64 mph on the freeways all the time.

The one that gets me is when someone says they "could care less" about something. Usually it is intended as a statement of minimal interest, but most people drop the contraction and it ends up meaning the opposite of what was intended.

I will note for the record that DesertFox got it right in this thread. Congrats.

#87698 - 03/07/07 10:50 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: DesertFox]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Didn't work for me. I said Sorry I was speeding because I was late for work. He came back with my ticket later. First one I've had in 10 years, you think he would have accounted for that a little bit.

#87726 - 03/08/07 04:53 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
mark161 Offline
Diver

Loc: US
Never wrote one unless they were doing 13+ and most days it's 15+

#87740 - 03/08/07 08:55 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: stealthedc]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I think the one that gets on my nerves most is when people say “nucular”.

#87752 - 03/08/07 03:05 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: mark161]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I always had the impression that the worst thing you can tell an officer who has pulled you over is that you don't know what the speed limit is and you have no idea how fast you were going.

Ignorance and inattentiveness do not make anyone want to give you a break.

If you can say you know how fast you were going, at least he knows you were paying *some* attention to your driving.

BTW, more on topic: When people say they are "nauseous", I tell them that I agree, they do make me nauseated.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#87753 - 03/08/07 03:18 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You bring up an important side issue. You don't know if the officer stopping you just recently experienced a shooting event. I learned the easy way (by not thinking and being stupid) about keeping my hands in plain sight. When I get stopped, I pull my wallet out of my back pocket (left hand) and hold the wheel w/my left hand (w/wallet in plain sight). Then I reach over to the glove box (after stopping, by the way), get my car's papers (registration and insurance) and place the right hand (w/the paperwork in plain sight), let the officer see my hands are full of wallet and paperwork, then I get out of the car and go to the rear and wait for him.
An officer once asked me for my wallet and I reached for it too fast and when I had it out and looked up, I had a 9mm pointed halfway at me (and on it's way back to the holster). I don't do stupid things like that anymore plus I always keep my hands in plain sight now while moving slow.
Officers have family that they want to get home to, like the rest of us! I certainly don't want to do their job (w/my sterling personality, I'd last about 1 day before being fired)

#87764 - 03/08/07 04:16 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

You are the dream violator, one who might have broken a speed law, but does not want to scare the officer (always a bad thing)...

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.