The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#87528 - 03/06/07 05:30 PM Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
"I'm Starving"

Or any variation there of. Especially in commercials on TV, like the ones from that fast food place.

People in this country do not know what starvation is. Maybe in the past they did, but certainly not in the present.

"I'm starving" makes my teeth cringe.

#87570 - 03/06/07 09:23 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: stealthedc]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
That reminds me of a sort of funny story... My ambulance has to park in 5 square block radius from assigned spot so dispatching computer can calculate my ETAs to assigments. On one of the corners there is a homeless guy we call "Pookey". I'm on the first name basis with half the bums and drunks in Blyn. With some of them it's a hate relationship, some of them I don't mind. Pookey is the one that I don't mind. He is semi clean, doesn't bother anyone and is funny as hell. So one day I get this sandwich from the store they call "Park Slopy". Basically it is a layer of roast beef, layer of cheese, layer of french fries, layer of onions and peppers. Needless to say I ate half the sandwich and I'm full. I hate wasting or reheating food so I take half the sandwich and bring it to Pookie. He has the balls to turn around and say: "What we are working with here partner?" Kind of got me stunned. Few hours earlier he was picking food out of garbage and now he is picking and choosing clean food. The story ends with him taking the food. But it got me curious so I asked him what wouldnt he eat and he said that he doesnt like fish or spicy food. When I asked him what is better: to starve or to eat fish and he told me that no matter what he can get any food he wants since people just throw it away.

#87579 - 03/06/07 10:59 PM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Polak187]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, no one need starve in the US. I think we had a good post about this a couple years ago.

Now SERE training had me pretty hungry, but then I had ants and grass stalks and an armadillo, so it wasn't totally bad. I wouldn't recommend the armadillo, though, at least not the way we had to prepare him.

After that exercise, they took us to a chow hall and fed us smashed peanut butter sandwiches and reconsitituted powdered milk. My mouth was watering so bad that I couldn't open it to say Thank you when I got mine. I didn't get sick afterwards, though a fair number didn't listen to the instructions given beforehand and lost their lunch.

It is amazing how your mindset changes when you haven't eaten in a few days. A big scoop of pure lard or a handful of butter even sounds doable, or a bag of fishing bait even.

#87588 - 03/07/07 01:08 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
To venture away from food a bit, I used to hate it when I would stop some yo-yo for going 120 mph, and when I walked up to his vehicle he would look at me with this blank stare and say "what's the problem officer?" My usual answer was that the problem was deciding if I was going to write him a ticket or take him to jail. That usually wiped that blank look away real fast...

#87601 - 03/07/07 02:58 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Hey OBG,

I had an experience from the other side of the equation. A couple of years ago a New York State Trooper stopped me for speeding. He asked me, "Sir, do you know why I stopped you?" I said, "Yep. I was speeding." The look of shock and surprise on his face still haunts me to this day. Then he said, "You know, you're the first guy all day who told me the truth." Then he handed me my license back and said, "Get out of here."

Anyway, back on topic, I guess the phrase that drives me crazy has to be "Have a nice day" from someone who could not care less how my day is going.

#87602 - 03/07/07 03:11 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: DesertFox]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Having had a few jobs where I was required to say that, I usually meant it when I said it, I hoped most people was having a better day than I was- never a good day in the pink collar sector. And unless the manager was around, I didn't say it when I hoped someone's day would suck for them.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#87608 - 03/07/07 03:51 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: DesertFox]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I always started off with "Good afernoon sir, I stopped you for speeding." That way if he had just killed his wife or something, he might figure that I was just going to write him a speeding ticket, and not try to shoot me while I was busy writing. That was how I was trained, and it worked for me. I would then ask if he had any idea how fast he had been going, the truthfulness of his answer had a direct bearing on how much of a break I gave...

#87611 - 03/07/07 04:21 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
God bless ya. I can't even imagine having a job where every interaction with Joe Public might end up in gun play. But if you overreact, you're looking at a lawsuit and a headline in the LA Times.

#87617 - 03/07/07 04:40 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
In California, I'm amazed you expected an answer in English.

M

#87621 - 03/07/07 05:36 AM Re: Things People Say That Drive Me Crazy [Re: Misanthrope]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Como?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.