Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#87821 - 03/09/07 01:28 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: norad45]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
In the NE USA, a permit is required to purchase a weapon and a permit is required to purchase ammo. Permits are required to store a weapon @ home and a permit is required to keep ammo @ home. A permit for each is required to transport weapon and ammo to wherever (range, woods, etc.) and to return them.

Basically the Yanks have figured out that since they can't prohibit weapons ownership under the Constitutional 2nd Amendment, they CAN regulate it to death.

The Liberals have already figured out that they can put a hugh-mongrous tax on each bullet and that would prohibit people from buying ammo. The same is true of weapons. They are merely waiting for their chance to get it passed.

#87824 - 03/09/07 02:54 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: wildman800
In the NE USA, a permit is required to purchase a weapon and a permit is required to purchase ammo. Permits are required to store a weapon @ home and a permit is required to keep ammo @ home. A permit for each is required to transport weapon and ammo to wherever (range, woods, etc.) and to return them.

Huh? Where did you get this info??

#87825 - 03/09/07 02:55 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Stu]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
that's in NYC back in 1979-1981. That's why I left my weps in the south.

#87827 - 03/09/07 03:07 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
That must be a NYC thing only, because long guns and ammo are not regulated in the rest of NY state that I know of, and pistol permits are regulated by the individual counties. I do know that pistol permits are almost impossible to get in NYC.

#87834 - 03/09/07 04:47 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Stu]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Here is a quick ref to NYC laws. And while they seem very tight to most of us, they appear to be better than the Sulivan Law that used to be in effect there, if I recall correctly it totally prohibited possession of a handgun. At least now there appears to be a possibility of getting a permit for one...

#87837 - 03/09/07 05:00 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Ain't it funny how some little piece of paper can control our lives, like trying to get the illusive concealed carry permit in NYC?

Well, if they can't see it, then they won't know I suppose. I ain't gonna waste time asking for permits for this'n that, which I won't be given anyways, when I've been toting mine for the past twenty plus years without a hitch. Permit or not, if I ever had to use one to defend myself, I always figured I'd end up in front of a Judge for doing it. Better to be branded a criminal for doing the RIGHT thing and taking care of me and mine, than to shrug at the wife and tell her the reason she's about to become a victim is cuz I'm not allowed to do anything about it, 'cept maybe die first.

Stupid laws for stupid people.

The way I always saw it, filing a permit application was my way of letting the local constabulary know what I was going to do whether he said okay or not. Not much he can do about it until it's too late anyways, unless I was real stupid about it.

Don't think it will be any different with knives once they start pushing stupid laws about carrying, and even owning, them as well. Just ask Doug...or anyone here in Australia, or England, or...except for people living in Baghdad, who are allowed to own personal firearms and BIG knives. How can a place under martial law have more self defense liberties than my own neighborhood back home???

#87943 - 03/10/07 12:32 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Wow, I didn't expect to have the last word on this one...

#88027 - 03/11/07 02:42 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: norad45]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: norad45
Good suggestions all. But if I've got that much stuff I doubt I'll be needing a public shelter. smile

True enough maybe. But if something takes your curret shelter you'll need to be somewhere...at least temporarily. A shelter may be an acceptible option.

#88100 - 03/12/07 01:37 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: yeti]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
True enough maybe. But if something takes your curret shelter you'll need to be somewhere...at least temporarily. A shelter may be an acceptible option.

The only way I'll ever be found in a public shelter is if I am too injured to keep somebody from dragging me there. I'd rather sleep in a debris shelter or a cardboard box than rely on a series of bureaucrats to make life and death decisions for me and my family.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.