Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#87714 - 03/08/07 01:52 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: raydarkhorse]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Susan,
Truck not getting from A to B - then the shelter won't have staff, or supplies

At least around here (NYC) they RARELY own an actual shelter!

Most times (let's say a big fire) they open a "reception center", sign you in, and transport you to a hotel that they have a contract with - and hand you vouchers for food/clothing etc

IF and when they have to open a shelter, the mostly likely place is a local High School, particularly if school is NOT in session - it has the advantage of lots of room, lots of bathrooms, small rooms where the can isolate folks if need be, a nurses office, and a lunch room

The thing is, they won't have ANY staff there, any gear - nothing. They will have to roll a truck and some staff vehicles from either City HQ or one of the sub HQs. Even if they can't get from shelter A to Shelter B - hopefully they can get from one of the centers to the shelter. And they are NOT adverse to sending staff to the local deli/supermarket (the one 'live' shelter I was at that actually had clients - that's how we handled it - there was only 2 clients, it was easier to go to the deli and buy them lunch than send a truck out with catered food)

Like I said - the staff that will open the shelter will probably have a basic setip with them - it's a rolling cabinet or 2 with enough stuff to get started
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#87717 - 03/08/07 02:21 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I always thought that a trailer made out of an old pickup bed with a cap on it would make the perfect trailer. And if the P/U had a utility bed on it some much better. Cut down on the space inside, but all of those storage compartments on the side would be really nice...

Why not get the plans for a home built hard-side pop-up or teardrop trailer and build your own, or get a utility or camping trailer and modify the inside to what you want? Very high winds may make them unstable while moving or parked, but good tie downs will help. You can the "shelter" within reason where you want, or leave the area with a reasonable amount of supplies if you need to go.
I've a trailer that is loaded if I need to go, and will support me for several weeks (and then some) if I lose my home.
I built in baffled tanks for 80 gal truck fuel, 100gal fresh water and 120 gal grey water in my trailer. I used a 6000 pound axel, with elec breaks and that uses wheels and tires that fit my tow vehicle. The trailer has a steel locking gun cabinet in it for valuables, firearms and ammo. A generator, propane stove and oven, awnings and bunks with storage were all added. It's not pretty, but it fits my needs.

#87722 - 03/08/07 03:58 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Susan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I just read through the threads and have this to add:

Yes, I recommend "Dare To Prepare". Yes, most of us here are beyond most of it's content, except for the fact that it is a great reminder for those of us in the middle of trying to bug out AND not forget anything. Also check out Nuclear War Survival Skills -Chapter 4 - Evacuation.

IRT Shelters - I think I'll be better off outrunning the hurricane and find a cave, using my Topo Charts. I know that I can place a certain amount of faith and trust in the shelter operators but it's the inmates that can't be trusted. How many times have you seen the Police arrive at the moment needed to stop the crime before it can occur? I don't find the idea of CSI "where ever" catching my killer afterwards, being a comfort. I don't like being denied the right to defend myself and property. I CAN DIG A BUNKER (like in the war movies) in 12 hours, if need be.

Remember the amount of hand guns that were taken off of Katrina refugees in Houston (1st stop)? Look at the crime statistics of every city that those same refugee were relocated to (starting w/Houston). Look at the number of hand guns that were taken off of those refugees when they arrved at new shelters in other cities, AFTER being shook down by the Houston and San Antonio Police Depts. 60% of the refugees arriving in Boston were arrested upon arrival for illegal possession of handguns stolen from NOLA stores.

The intelligence level of the NOLA refugees are further documented by the receipts that FEMA has received because of the "Debit Cards" - They came from well known disaster supply points like Houston strip bars, jewellry stores, liquor stores, etc. That's why FEMA cancelled the Debit Card Idea. It left a very good paper trail that shows how the money was actually spent.

I'll go to my room now.

#87723 - 03/08/07 04:17 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Eugene]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That was my plan. I had a Toyota P/U, wanted a similar rear half, same paint, etc. Now my ex drive that Toyota, which is great by me...

#87724 - 03/08/07 04:26 AM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I would buy it if I could afford it..."

Go here, you can find new or like new books for a fraction of the retail cost...

#87775 - 03/08/07 05:14 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: wildman800]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

"60% of the refugees arriving in Boston were arrested upon arrival for illegal possession of handguns stolen from NOLA stores."

Do you have a link to this stat?

#87784 - 03/08/07 06:19 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: teacher]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
that's what the stat worked out to based on how many were reported delivered to Boston and how many of them were found with handguns

#87788 - 03/08/07 06:43 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: wildman800]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: wildman800
that's what the stat worked out to based on how many were reported delivered to Boston and how many of them were found with handguns

It probably should be pointed out that what constitutes a legally carried handgun in Louisiana may well be deemed illegal in Boston.

#87791 - 03/08/07 07:25 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: norad45]
MarshAviator Offline
Marsh Aviator
Journeyman

Loc: Baton Rouge, LA, USA
I will second that, Louisiana, Like most of the South & West allows firearms (loaded,accessible) in your car. Also non concealed carry is permitted ( except in airports,schools) everywhere.
MASS has some of the most restricted laws in the country.
Please note having a firearm is TYPICAL in Louisiana, most people do and may not be aware that the northeast have a different take.

I wonder if security is present in most shelters ?
It would seem like some form of legal obligation to provide physical security exist.

Personally I can't imagine resorting to a public shelter.
Most of the buildings used are just marginally better than a basement or office building if that.

#87808 - 03/08/07 10:46 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: MarshAviator]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
MA actually allows you to carry handguns, but they MUSt be out of public view (i.e., concealed). Its a matter of getting a license to carry that is a PITA. Pretty much, if you dont personally know the local police chief, you wont get a class A LTC. Why? He doesnt need a reason. He can simply say no, and there's nothing you can do. Scary. And, I live here!!!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.