Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#87649 - 03/07/07 04:47 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: big_al]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Truck is extended cab and I keep a lot of equipment stashed in the cab already under seats and such so there is some room. I'm looking around local junk yards for a sliding rear window so swap out my non sliding to make it easier to pass gear from the fron to the back. And even then the cap is a worst case where its not safe to pitch our tent.
I forgot to mention I did get the whole trailering package so I can add that on too. Problem I ran into now is the city passed a law forbidding trailers from being parked by your house so I won't be able to get one until we can move outside the city limits but than I plan to either buy an old one and rebuild it or build a modified teardrop trailer (I plan to stretch it to the same height as the top of the truck cap so it will hatch in height and give more space inside)

Edited by Eugene (03/07/07 04:52 PM)

#87650 - 03/07/07 04:50 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I always thought that a trailer made out of an old pickup bed with a cap on it would make the perfect trailer. And if the P/U had a utility bed on it some much better. Cut down on the space inside, but all of those storage compartments on the side would be really nice...

I've always wanted to do that my my wife doesn't like the idea of a hillbilly trailer. But my thought is if I get the bed from the same make and model of truck so it matches it would look nice.
Plus I'm thinking could have the same tires for spares and the gas tank for extra there as well.

#87654 - 03/07/07 05:25 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Eugene]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I'm thinking could have the same tires for spares and the gas tank for extra there as well.

Hey, that's a great idea!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#87655 - 03/07/07 05:30 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Eugene]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I've always wanted to do that my my wife doesn't like the idea of a hillbilly trailer. But my thought is if I get the bed from the same make and model of truck so it matches it would look nice.
Plus I'm thinking could have the same tires for spares and the gas tank for extra there as well.

Why stop there, if it's the same make and model, you would have a spare axle, gear oil (over fill the trailer's pumpkin) brakes, tires, drive line (strap it under the trailer), spare springs, shocks, gas tank, tail gate, bumpers, etc. I have a friend who has actually done this for off-road use. Put the same lift kit, tires, etc on his trailer that he did on his rig. Hasn't had to cannibalize his trailer yet, but it sounds like a great idea smile

#87656 - 03/07/07 05:33 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
You may remember scenes from Houston when Hurricane Rita was barreling down on us. New Orleans had just been destroyed so over a million people tried leaving Houston. A quarter of those drove past our house just off I-45. We live about 25 miles from downtown Houston but even that close we had dozens of cars breaking down or running out of gas by us. At the time there were many emergency shelters popping up at churches/schools but neither the evacuees nor we knew where these shelters were.

After everything settled down I combed the internet and found all the places used as emergency shelters in a ten-mile radius and plotted them on a map. This map isn't for me/my family. It's to pass out to stranded people the next time something like this happens. I don't want them on my doorstep again!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#87657 - 03/07/07 05:38 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Rio]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Well i don't know how shelters are setup in other country's, but in mine the supplies are NOT stored at the shelters. They have to be shipped in. Food and water are from primairy supplied by local suppliers, the local govermant should have pramade deals with the suppliers. Shelters are placed OUTSIDE directly effected area's.

#87659 - 03/07/07 05:52 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Rio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Rio

Why stop there, if it's the same make and model, you would have a spare axle, gear oil (over fill the trailer's pumpkin) brakes, tires, drive line (strap it under the trailer), spare springs, shocks, gas tank, tail gate, bumpers, etc. I have a friend who has actually done this for off-road use. Put the same lift kit, tires, etc on his trailer that he did on his rig. Hasn't had to cannibalize his trailer yet, but it sounds like a great idea smile

Thats the thought. Only problem is its getting hard to find a decent truck bed, all that are out there are from the toyotas that had the weak frame so the trucks bent in the middle, anything else is either rusted away or messed up from the accident that totaled the truck, you find very few in tach truck parts in the junk yards.

#87661 - 03/07/07 06:18 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Eugene]
Westwindmike Offline

Loc: Middle Tennessee
If I have to go to a shelter, I plan on taking my 3 person dome tent for privacy inside the shelter. It's free standing and I could stash all my stuff out of sight of the others in the shelter.

#87662 - 03/07/07 06:34 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Eugene]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Eugene:

Don't know where you live, but go on-line and order one from So. Calif or AZ. There are lots of good Large truck beds out here. Then have it trucked to your location. I bought a whole front end for my wifes car and had it trucked from OK. did't cost that much.

#87663 - 03/07/07 06:36 PM Re: Many emergency shelters not well equipped? [Re: Westwindmike]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
better check with the local shelter manager and see if they will let you set up a tent inside of the shelter.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 384 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.