Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#87036 - 03/01/07 01:05 PM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: Nicodemus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Looks good. How did you get the suspenders attached to the Devil Dog? Got pictures? I was looking at it for a while and was thinking of using it with an H-harness, but I could never see a good way to put it all together.

I don't know if I'd bother with a pack with this, just put a bed roll on top of it.

For some reason, I was expecting a Devil Dog to look bigger, but I have that reaction to a lot of Maxpedition- they must use skinny models. Or is the bag for your filter just tucked along the bottom edge?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#87067 - 03/01/07 08:59 PM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: ironraven]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Thanks!

RE: Suspender Attachment
I believe the folks over at Maxpedition fully expected that people might want to use something similar to H-Harnesses with the Devil Dog because there are two D-Ring attachment points on the top of the pack that standard clips can easily use. (I say they probably thought of it, because the spacing is perfect, and I don't know for sure because the darn thing lacked instructions)

To attach the suspenders to the front of the belt I just replaced the two standard webbing straps and clips with two one-inch webbing straps with side release buckles that I picked up from REI. At first I meant this only as a temporary fix, but I actually ended up liking the way it worked. As an added bonus, the buckles keep the Devil Dog's belt strap from being crushed vertically. (Note: I moved the belt's restrictor clips off to the side while hanging it up in the tree, and forgot to replace them when I took the shot... Oops)

Yes, the Katadyn's pouch is attached to the webbing and was in front of part of the Devil Dog in the original photo so the pack looked smaller than it actually is. Here's a picture the filter hanging below the pack to give you a better idea of the size of the pack itself. The pack is in fact pretty large. It's amazing what I have crammed in there. The filter only appears as large as it does as I have a carbon cartridge packed with it, and because both are wrapped in layers of foam for protection.

As I mentioned before, I don't like the handle, except that it made it easy to hang in the pine when taking these pictures. Another thing I was disappointed in was how much space is lost internally when both bottle holders are full. You definitely want to pack with bottles in their place instead of trying to cram them in last. laugh

#87075 - 03/01/07 10:58 PM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: Nicodemus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Cool, thanks. The D-rings were origionally for a shoulder sling, but this configuration makes much, much more sense. I was mostly wondering how you'd done the front straps.

Are the MOLLE points on the belt still usable with the water bottles in place?

I had a feeling that the bottles would cost some space. frown That and it doesn't have a good way to be attached to a ruck are why I went in another direction.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.