Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#86769 - 02/26/07 10:00 PM Does anyone use waistpacks a lot?
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I'm looking to start a discussion on waistpacks. I just purchased this used Arc'teryx Q10. This is my first waist pack and got me thinking, what are people's opinions on waistpacks? Maybe it's just me, but they seem to be fading in popularity. I've looked around in stores and I couldn't seem to find a quality waistpack until this one...

Here are the specs :

High capacity lumbar pack that adjusts perfectly to the curve of your back. With high-efficiency compression belts that ensure content stability.

420 deniers Ripstorm nylon with 620 deniers reinforcement on stress points.
BiSect™ suspension
Hypalon™ bottle holster
Hypalon™ compression straps
WaterTight™ zippers, an Arctéryx exclusive
SquashPod™ hipbelt
Top grab handle
Zippered internal pocket
Thermoformed suspension
Two water bottle pockets
Volume : 630 cu in. 10 lt.

So my question in the end is, do you use a waistpack, and if so, why? What do use it for? (PSK, small BOB, FAK?)

#86772 - 02/26/07 10:17 PM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: SARbound]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I just recently purchased a mountainsmith one, and, actually like it for the warmer weather. Although, I did pick up a pair of suspenders for them, as it annoys me when it slides down my butt. I keep a canteen in one side, a FAK in the other, a journal, small survival kit, AMK bivvy bag,rain jacket, and some snacks inside it. I'll carry a fleece on the outside bungees, if its cold enough. I can also stuff a pair of mittens & wool hat in mine. I like not having a sweaty back at the end of the day.

#86773 - 02/26/07 10:42 PM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: oldsoldier]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I don't really like them, and my wife, who hates them (mainly due to everyone carrying them in front as a wallet/purse thing), won't let me near one. I carried a GI butt back years ago, along with a lot of other stuff my Uncle loaned to me, and once had one that was made by a local company (MEI), but I didn't really like it either. Tried suspenders with it, but unless I attached the front straps way back toward the rear it tended to want to pull the front of the belt up too much. I much prefer a daypack...

#86774 - 02/26/07 10:55 PM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I like my camelbak flashflo --- its a hydration butt pack with a little pocket for 'stuff.'

Edited by teacher (02/26/07 10:55 PM)

#86775 - 02/26/07 11:14 PM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: SARbound]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I use a Maxpedition Proteus extensively. I originally bought it on a whim as an adjunct to my Jumbo, but I recently sold my Jumbo because the Proteus fit my needs so much better.

#86780 - 02/26/07 11:51 PM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: Malpaso]
MrBadger Offline
journeyman

I have an older Arc'teryx waist pack very similar to the one you have pictured. I like it very much. I also find that I can use it with a daypack and it takes the load off my shoulders like a waist belt, but gives me better range of motion.

#86784 - 02/27/07 12:09 AM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: SARbound]
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I purchased a Mountainsmith Lumbar pack that holds (2)32oz Nalgene bottles. I think it's no longer manufactured. I found it a bit heavy and cumbersome with both bottles full and the pack loaded so I bought some suspenders to take up some of the weight. This works out well and is a lot more comfortable. I also have a Maxpedition Proteus that I like a lot better. It's smaller and if I'm out on the trail all day I use a CamelBak with it for hydration. It just depends what I doing as to which one I use.

#86787 - 02/27/07 12:31 AM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: SARbound]
ducttape Offline

I picked up a couple of Kelty MG on closeout for $30 last year.

Features:

-Compact, stays in fanny pack configuration
-Can be carried via shoulder strap
-Can be converted to a backpack for more storage
-Red
-Handle for "grab and go"

Contents:

-AMK Adventurer, supplemented
-Clif Bars (buy something that you like)
-2 20oz water bottles
-Multi-tool
-LED light
-AMK PSP
-Lighter
-HeatSheet
-50' Paracord

Clipped via BlackDiamond Carabiner so it stays in the same place in the car, even after a rollover. laugh

Thanks to this forum for helping me get it assembled.

Also, this is considered my "ditch kit" so it has the minimum and can be clipped to my BOB.

Edited by ducttape (02/27/07 12:40 AM)

#86788 - 02/27/07 12:34 AM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I totally agree w/OBG. I like the combat harness/butt pack but there has to be counter balance between the front and rear. I find it is comfortable for hunting (4 legged and 2 winged varmints) because of the weight of the ammo in front counterbalances the weight of the butt pack and canteens. Yes, I tend to carry a large amount of ammo which is needed for sufficient weight up front.

I have found that using a large messenger bag (Israeli Paratrooper, Swedish Army, etc) is much more comfortable to carry on a day hike. It accommodates the gear that I deem suitable for the circumstances.

#86794 - 02/27/07 01:04 AM Re: Does anyone use waistpacks a lot? [Re: wildman800]
corpsman Offline
Journeyman

I use an Uphill Down and a Kelty Eagle regularly. Both with a shoulder strap, since my "waist" is larger than my hips...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.