The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86456 - 02/23/07 03:03 AM Leatherman TTi - first impressions
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I just got my leatherman TTi today from leatherman4less.com (standard disclaimer - only relation is as a 1st time customer)

Now - I'm a serious Knife nut. I've probably rejected more knifes for some reason or another than most people will own - I'm seriously picky about my knives

I've owned an original super tool, a Mini, a micra, and a couple of squirts, but other than the micras/squirts, all have been rejected as EDC on my person carry - there is always one in my backpack, but...

First impression - it's heavier than I thought
2nd - if your going to put an S30V blade on a tool - please sharpen it. I don't consider the edge that is on the main blade out of the box to be acceptable

The notches on the back of the secondary blade that are supposed to allow you to ID which blade is which by feel are way too rounded off to feel them - it is as if they buffed them with a fairly aggressive deburring wheel, and all the edges are gone

I LIKE the blade shape on the main blade

The file - what can I say - the diamond side looks/feels OK, but man, can the actually cut some REAL teeth on the regular side - the teeth seem to be rounded, and bidirectional - they are supposed to have a sawtooth profile

The saw looks OK

The pliers - the come to a nice needle point, but except for the 1st serration at the top, they do NOT fully close

The interchangeable bit - #1-2Phillips - 3/16 straight bit - folks - it's either #1, or it's #2 - don't give me a bodge up

Can Opener, Mini Bit, flat blade - look like they will be OK

Scissors - hey, they trimmed my moustache OK - I usually use my knife to cut things like paper (see - sharpen the blade please)

I'll try it for a while, AFTER I sharpen the blade - as it is, I don't consider it a knife replacement - maybe once it's sharp

I wish multi tool mfgs would do a few things - first - FILES are NOT made out of stainless steel (well - nail files, but...) Put a real high carbon steel "it rusts when you look at it" file in there - and for the pliers... Figure out what kind of steel say - Klein or ChannelLock use for their pliers, and use it - yeah, you'll have to clean/oil it once in a while so it won't rust, but you'll have a better tool
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#86489 - 02/23/07 11:04 AM Re: Leatherman TTi - first impressions [Re: KG2V]
kmcrawford111 Offline
journeyman

Loc: NW Indiana
What's the problem with the Phillips bit? It's designed to fit both #1 and #2 heads. It's more versatile this way. Leatherman has been using this for many years. I've been using it for many years, too, and it works fine. If you need the different sizes the Bit Kit has them.

I've seen others mention the fact that the pliers close only at the very tip, but I ask you this - why does it matter?

I just got mine. I agree that the blade could use a sharpening, and the movement is a little rough. I fully expect it to be silky smooth after a little Militec-1 and some breaking in. My other Charges certainly are.

With the pocket clip, one-handed opening, and the knife steel, I think this is the best multi-tool on the planet. The screwdriver bits are a bit of a double-edged sword, the compactness being a plus but the limited reach being a minus. I know some don't like the scissors but I find they cut even tough materials suprisingly well. I just have to be careful when opening them.

The only "problem" I have is the file rests against the inside of the handle when closed, so when opening it the diamond side scrapes the handle unless I push on it while opening. My first Charge wasn't like this, but when I sent it in for an upgrade it came back (or another one came back) this way. And the 2nd Charge I bought was this way as well. I also have a new Wave which I don't believe did come this way. But this is the 3rd time I have seen this which leads me to believe it's intentional. I just don't see the reason - it seems likely to cause premature wear. Anyone else noticed this?

Still I give this tool a 9 out of 10.

Edited by kmcrawford111 (02/23/07 11:41 AM)

#86498 - 02/23/07 01:33 PM Re: Leatherman TTi - first impressions [Re: kmcrawford111]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

What's the problem with the phillips bit? A #1 bit fits a #1 screw, a #2 bit fits a #2 screw. Call me picky, but the reason you see so many stripped out phillips screws is folks use the wrong size bit (and yeah, I bought the bit kit)

As for only closing at the tip - I guess you never work with things like ultra fine magnet wire and the like. It just means that I'll have to grab a set of real pliers. It's not RIGHT, it's OK, but..

I'll have to say that the TTi seems (from first impressions) to be the best multi-tool out YET - but it's NOT perfect. I want the file to cut like a Grobert/Sandvick - I want the pliers to be as good (or better) then Klien (and for the tips to meet like a pair of Lindstroms), I want the blade to be at least as good as a spyderco - and would prefer say, Sebenza quality (although I'll take a nice talonite blade like a Mayo..)

In other words - I judge against the theoretical "perfect" - it's GOOD - maybe a 7-8 as of now - there is NO 10.0 here

#86500 - 02/23/07 03:09 PM Re: Leatherman TTi - first impressions [Re: KG2V]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
That's interesting to see your issues with the knife blade. I recently got my new Charge and the knife blade on mine was razor sharp. That was actually one of the things that impressed me most when I first got it. I guess Leatherman's quality control is not too consistent on these new Charge tools.

All said, I am pretty happy with mine. The optional bit kit is definitely a must get item!

#86502 - 02/23/07 03:22 PM Re: Leatherman TTi - first impressions [Re: gatormba]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have never heard of leatherman4less.com before, I wonder if they might have factory seconds. Every Leatherman I have ever purchased (original PST, original Supertool, lots of Micra's, had a Surge for a week) came super sharp.

I have never had a pair of their pliers close at the tip either, and while it is a pain from time to time, I have learned to live with it...

#86504 - 02/23/07 03:29 PM Re: Leatherman TTi - first impressions [Re: KG2V]
MissouriExile Offline
dedicated member

Loc: SW Missouri / SE Wisconsin
I agree with all your points. Especially the pliers and file issues.
I have been looking at purchasing a new Charge TI but have held back because I'm not sure if the pliers can hold up to the rigors of farm fencing work. I don't expect them to replace extra heavy duty pliers and wire cutters but why not use steel I won't be afraid to use every day>?

I say, why not make a multitool that is a real user tool. Imagine, if you will, the ability to carry a leatherman in a belt sheath and have professional quality, useable tools, always at hand. I would pay a lot for a tool like that.

I also agree that the leatherman is at least a 7/8 out of 10, the best I have ever seen. Good enough to let me see what it could be.

Jon

#86509 - 02/23/07 04:16 PM Re: Leatherman TTi - first impressions [Re: gatormba]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Originally Posted By: gatormba
That's interesting to see your issues with the knife blade. I recently got my new Charge and the knife blade on mine was razor sharp. ...snip...

Well, I think I did say this was from the point of few of a knife nut. I've owned a PST, a Mini, a Micra, a few squirts, and have handled other folks waves and the like - I have NOT seen ONE leatherman that had what I would call an acceptably sharp blade out of the box!

If you hang out with knife folks, you'll eventually hear the term "scary sharp" - to ME, knives should be delivered "scary sharp" - partularly if they are made of high end steel. How do I define "sharp" - take the blade, and try and shave the back of your hand/wrist/arm - if it removes EVERY hair in one pass, with no water/shaving stuff, whatever - THEN your knife is sharp. As some folks say - when your hair runs away BEFORE the blade gets there - it's sharp enough. I'm the type of guy who thinks that out of the box x-acto knives are dull wink

#86511 - 02/23/07 04:26 PM Re: Leatherman TTi - first impressions [Re: MissouriExile]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Take a look at the Surge, that sucker is huge, and appears to be pretty darned tough...

#86514 - 02/23/07 05:12 PM Re: Leatherman TTi - first impressions [Re: KG2V]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've always viewed a multi-tool as a convenient way of carrying a variety of okay tools, not as the final answer to my tool box. I prefer Benchmade for knives, Channelock for pliers, Nicholsen for files, a set of Craftsman screwdrivers, bit drivers and sockets. . . et al. My XTi is just fine to do the stuff I need a multi-tool to do. If it fails in the task I probably need to get into my tool box for a real tool anyway.

#86526 - 02/23/07 06:51 PM Re: Leatherman TTi - first impressions [Re: Russ]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: RAS
I've always viewed a multi-tool as a convenient way of carrying a variety of okay tools, not as the final answer to my tool box. I prefer Benchmade for knives, Channelock for pliers, Nicholsen for files, a set of Craftsman screwdrivers, bit drivers and sockets. . . et al. My XTi is just fine to do the stuff I need a multi-tool to do. If it fails in the task I probably need to get into my tool box for a real tool anyway.

Agreed; I have the same perspective. I think it's really pointless to demand the kind of performance from a multitool listed earlier in this thread.

I can rant all day because my car doesn't ride like a Mercedes, handle like a Ferrari, tow a trailer like an F-350 and go offroad like a Land Cruiser. Oh, and have a MSRP of $2000. Therefore a real-world car that is truly a well executed design is rated "only a 7 or 8 out of 10" because it's not "perfect".

When a stated goal is unobtainable, it ceases to be a valid measuring tool.

Like the saying goes: a product can be 1) effective, 2) quick to make/acquire and 3) inexpensive. Pick two features from this list.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.