Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86441 - 02/23/07 12:52 AM A soldier's gear list help please.
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
I am having a difficult Internet time trying to find any site that would list what a soldier carries in his (or her) backpack. I realize the lists would be different for different services. I'll take anything right now.

This all stems from a viewing on the Discovery Channel today of the Mountain Marines based in California. They had everything in those packs! AND they could fit their sleeping bags in their packs. They scaled 300' cliff faces with full packs.

Anyhoo, can someone point me to some links to help my pathetic little mind......

Thanks a bunch.
Pathetic Michael

#86473 - 02/23/07 04:44 AM Re: A soldier's gear list help please. [Re: MichaelJ07]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
As you say, the load is different for the services, and for a particular mission. This topic was covered a year or so back, you might try a search, but if I recall correctly you will not find any specific lists there...

#86479 - 02/23/07 06:11 AM Re: A soldier's gear list help please. [Re: MichaelJ07]
Blackeagle Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
In addition to the different loadouts for different services, units, and missions, the contents of an individual soldier's pack are going to vary a lot from individual to individual. Just to get an idea, take a look at this list of extra gear recommended for a soldier deploying to Afghanistan. Now, a lot of that stuff won't get carried in the field, but some of it will. Soldiers carry a lot of stuff in addition to what they are issued (and they substitute better personal gear for some of the issue stuff).

Edited by Blackeagle (02/23/07 06:12 AM)

#86485 - 02/23/07 09:25 AM Re: A soldier's gear list help please. [Re: MichaelJ07]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Go to military.com and look around for the Army, Army National Guard, and Marine Corps Basic Training Manuals. They are there somewhere, I don't know exactly where. You should look for the section on preparing for an Equipment Inspection and how the items are laid out. Good Luck.

#86494 - 02/23/07 12:22 PM Re: A soldier's gear list help please. [Re: wildman800]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Thanks for your replies. It was a wierd request, but you folks have helped.

Again, Thanks!
Michael

#86495 - 02/23/07 12:58 PM Re: A soldier's gear list help please. [Re: MichaelJ07]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
As an ex soldier, I can give you an idea what we were required to have in there at all times:
MOPP gear (chem suit)
1 pr extra BDUs
2 pr socks
1 pr t-shirt
shaving gear
poncho
wet weather top/bottoms or goretex
2 qut canteen
E-tool
flashlight.
Mission essential gear (NODs, demo gear, clatymore, radio gear, as assigned).
After that, you can put in anything you like.

#86496 - 02/23/07 01:05 PM Re: A soldier's gear list help please. [Re: MichaelJ07]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Here is a thread from a .mil board. Now most of it is combat oriented, so it may or may not be what you're interested in.

#86560 - 02/24/07 12:30 AM Re: A soldier's gear list help please. [Re: oldsoldier]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Thanks for the list. Ya all know how it is when a wierd little unattached brain cell goes off on a bushwack. If you don't, this is the result......

Again, thanks for the links.

Michael

#86563 - 02/24/07 01:55 AM Re: A soldier's gear list help please. [Re: MichaelJ07]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
OK all...I gotta ask... what does the following mean?

"1. Any extra Class VIII you can bring from HS is good to have."

#87005 - 03/01/07 02:48 AM Re: A soldier's gear list help please. [Re: MichaelJ07]
Jess Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: MichaelJ07
I am having a difficult Internet time trying to find any site that would list what a soldier carries in his (or her) backpack. I realize the lists would be different for different services. I'll take anything right now.

This all stems from a viewing on the Discovery Channel today of the Mountain Marines based in California. They had everything in those packs! AND they could fit their sleeping bags in their packs. They scaled 300' cliff faces with full packs.

Anyhoo, can someone point me to some links to help my pathetic little mind......

Thanks a bunch.
Pathetic Michael

Honestly, the variations are not limited to the different services. Every unit provides different items to their personnel. Everyone is issued with standard items (sleeping bag, poncho, weapon such as an M-16 or 9mm, Gortex jacket, etc, etc) and then every unit supplements the equipment with supplies purchased with their unit funds, which they request and budget for every year. This process allows for units to buy equipment that meets the needs of the particular mission at hand. It also allows some folks to get some pretty nifty toys. In theory the equipment is all controlled and must be returned when the member finishes the mission and/or leaves the unit.

Here is what the Air Force recommends people bring to Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape (SERE) training:
(http://www.brooks.af.mil/web/sere/survivalkits.htm)

High quality pocket knife with at least two blades
Pocket compass
Match safe with matches
Plastic or metal container
Waterproof wooden matches
Needles – Sailmakers, surgeons, and darning
Assorted fish hooks in heavy tin foil or plastic holders
Snare wire, small hank
Needle nosed pliers with side cutters; high quality
Bar Surgical soap or hand soap containing physohex
Small fire starter
Personal Medications*
Water Purification Tabs
Small First aid kit*
Chap stick
Safety pins
6" Bastard file
Aluminum Foil
Flexible saw
Camouflage
Mosquito head net
Fish line
Zip lock bags
Small Steel mirror
Penlight with batteries
Split Shot for fishing weight
Gill net
Candles* (Cannot be taken to field here at USAFSAM)
Water containers

This list contains recommendations only. These are not required items for the course.

* These items will need to pre-approved by the instructor staff prior to going to the field.

Originally Posted By: yeti
OK all...I gotta ask... what does the following mean?

"1. Any extra Class VIII you can bring from HS is good to have."

Class VIII is the military supply code for medical items and HS stands for home station.

Edited by Jess (03/01/07 02:50 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.