Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#86240 - 02/21/07 10:41 AM Climbers oppose Mount Hood locator bill
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA

Via Yahoo News

"SALEM, Ore. - Two days after electronic locator units helped rescuers locate three missing climbers on Mount Hood, veteran mountaineers pleaded with state lawmakers not to require them to carry the devices every time they head for the summit."

Some warned Tuesday that requiring locators would foster passivity among climbers who get into trouble and activate the beacons."

For Entire Story, Click Here

#86248 - 02/21/07 02:29 PM Re: Climbers oppose Mount Hood locator bill [Re: MartinFocazio]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

That's a hard one. Part of me thinks that for a $5 rental fee and 8 oz. of weight there is no excuse not to have one. But part of me also resents the nanny attitude expressed by the attempt to lump experienced, level-headed climbers in with the incompetent ones. Only requiring them for the winter months may well be a good compromise.

#86254 - 02/21/07 04:16 PM Re: Climbers oppose Mount Hood locator bill [Re: MartinFocazio]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
While I agree that passivity is a bad thing and requiring climbers to carry a PLB might lead to it somewhat, I don't see this as any more a "nanny" issue than having SAR crews or sending National Guard resources for a rescue in the first place; meaning I don't see it as an issue in that respect at all. If it could possibly save resources, time and money for rescue operations for climbers to carry PLBs, then it seems to me that is a good thing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't see it only as the state regulating how people should act for their own safety, but also for the safety and expense of the crews who are going to have to go up the mountain after those in need of rescue.

I tend to lean toward libertarianism in a lot of respects, at least up to a point where personal freedoms start to affect others.

How about a big sign at the base of the mountain that says, "Take a PLB with you, or get yourself off the mountain in the case of an emergency!" grin

I do understand your point about a climber's experience, norad. However, experience, while improving one's odds, is no assurance that nothing bad will happen to the experienced climber. Experienced or not, anyone that gets into trouble on the mountain is going to waste resources.

That's just my take on it. As always, I could be wrong.

Edited by Nicodemus (02/21/07 04:21 PM)

#86256 - 02/21/07 04:48 PM Re: Climbers oppose Mount Hood locator bill [Re: NightHiker]
Meline Offline

Here in WY, unless you pay a small annual SAR fee, if you require a SAR you are billed for your own rescue.

If other states adopted such a system requiring PLB would cause people not to use them unless they needed to because they would be left with a heafty bill.

I think requiring PLBs a good idea, it would end these multi-day, multi-man, search the entire side of the mountain SAR efforts.

#86257 - 02/21/07 04:59 PM Re: Climbers oppose Mount Hood locator bill [Re: Meline]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
On the face of it, requiring a MLU that can be rented for $5 doesn't seem to be an obscene burder, especially if you would like people to rescue you when you get in trouble.

However, no one seems to have asked what the rental will cost if a MLU it is suddenly absolutely required to get on the mountain - $5? $10? $50? $500?

By the way, it has been said that an MLU will not alert anyone that you are in trouble, it will only help if they are already looking for you. I understand that the system uses fixed recievers located on or around the mountain. What prevents them from listening all the time?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#86260 - 02/21/07 05:20 PM Re: Climbers oppose Mount Hood locator bill [Re: thseng]
Meline Offline

So climbers can afford several hundreds of dollars in climbing gear and climbing expeditions, but they can't afford to rent, or buy, beacons? Come on now..

#86261 - 02/21/07 05:40 PM Re: Climbers oppose Mount Hood locator bill [Re: MartinFocazio]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
It seems as though people want to have their cake and eat it, too.

They want the solitude and peacefulness of being in the outdoors without the strings (or chains) of day-to-day life. They also want an instantaneous rescue should something go wrong. Somehow, there needs to be a balance between the two.

I guess the question is do we want additional government intrusion into the backcountry, or less risky SAR operations? Or both?

Clear as mud.

#86276 - 02/21/07 07:30 PM Re: Climbers oppose Mount Hood locator bill [Re: Meline]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Meline, a question from the curious:

Does WY tend to find that some people who need rescue refuse to request it due to facing a big bill, and other hikers stumble over their bones later?

Do the ones who use SAR actually PAY the bill, or are most of them sitting in collection agencies?

Sue

#86286 - 02/21/07 08:35 PM Re: Climbers oppose Mount Hood locator bill [Re: MartinFocazio]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My second thought, how long will it take for this great & "safe" law to be extended to all state & national parks where a PLB/MLU will be required for even a short day hike on well established, travelled trails. How long before it is required for every (recreational) boat on any and every body of inland water (including small lakes and large ponds). The creep effect can be quick when it is fueled by "political concern" and manufacturer's money.

Please keep in mind that I am from the great state of Lousy-anna and we are well known for having the best politicians and police THAT MONEY CAN BUY!

#86296 - 02/21/07 09:13 PM Re: Climbers oppose Mount Hood locator bill [Re: Susan]
Meline Offline

After looking closer at my fishing licience I do believe I am in error. Its a $1 SAR donation to pay for search and rescue costs. Not a $1 SAR insurance to pay for SAR costs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.