Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8626 - 08/25/02 08:12 PM M6 Scout Iron Sights
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
I originally found this web site after reading a review on the M6 Scout in Backwoodsman magazine. Since then, I've been quite pleased with the M6 (stainless, .410/.22 Hornet) I purchased. <br><br>There is one thing I'd like to improve on my M6. I prefer iron sights most of the time. I find that in low contrast situations (most of the time in the Pacific Northwest) I have trouble seeing the front sight through the peep sight for the .22. I've thought of dabbing some fluorescent paint onto the front sight to make the contrast better. Anyone have any suggestions?

#8627 - 08/25/02 11:31 PM Re: M6 Scout Iron Sights
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Forester,<br><br>Good issue!<br><br>It's certainly one where I need to do some work. I have some handguns with red/orange inserts/paint on the front sights. In low light they tend to go dull black & are difficult to see. One of my larger handguns has quick change front sights. Several years ago, I bought the OEM kit with chartreuse, light blue, & white colored front sight inserts. Thanks for reminding me to try them. But, I'm about to leave on a family bird hunting trip, so it may be a few weeks before I get to it. OTOH it has been a minor problem on some big game hunts. But my next one will be in an area where that is unlikely to be an issue. The main concern will be snakes & small game. So my handgun there will be a lighter one appropriate for them. I suspect my experimentation may lag.<br><br>Let us know know what you learn.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>John

#8628 - 08/26/02 02:31 AM Re: M6 Scout Iron Sights
Anonymous
Unregistered

This would probably break the bank, but it might solve the problem so I will throw it in. Get a good gunsmith to put a tritium insert in the front sight. I didnt pay attention to the front sight the one time I looked at one of those so it may need a sight fabricated to accomplish such a task.

Edited by kf4ebp (08/26/02 03:05 AM)

#8629 - 08/26/02 10:34 AM Re: M6 Scout Iron Sights
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have little experience with bright-colored sights, but I have had occasion to shoot the same model piece with blackened sights and with stainless, and I found the stainless much harder to use in many lighting conditions. <br><br>I have the impression, possibly incorrect, that the bright sights work much better on an open, sunny range against a black bulls-eye on a target.<br><br>I'm personally not crazy about tritium sights- they are expensive, and they lose about half their brightness in five years or so. Five years is not a long time for that kind of money.<br><br>If the M6 front sight is stainless, I'd advise temporarily blackening it with candle soot or something else easily removable and see how that works out for you. In low light conditions you may be surprised that it's more visible than bright colors.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.