The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#86267 - 02/21/07 06:13 PM Re: Great Upgrade! [Re: Lasd02]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Seems to me the fire thingies need to be based on replies and not views. There are tons of fires and even one for zero replies...lol.

#86284 - 02/21/07 08:18 PM Re: Great Upgrade! [Re: jshannon]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: jshannon
Seems to me the fire thingies need to be based on replies and not views. There are tons of fires and even one for zero replies...lol.

If you hold your mouse over the fire icon, a pop-up explanation will tell you that it designates a "Topic with over 25 replies or 150 views."

#86310 - 02/22/07 12:31 AM Re: Great Upgrade! [Re: NightHiker]
Lasd02 Offline

Loc: Pasadena, Calif.

Well I still like the upgrade but the little campfires are a bit distracting. I did a quick count and out of 250 posts (the first 10 pages), all but 12 of them have fires! It reminds me of the recent "self esteem" concept creeping into youth sports and elementary school, to spare the feelings of the less than stellar, everybody gets a trophy, medal or A+ just for participating. And besides, all those fires can't be helping the whole global warming thing. :}

#86316 - 02/22/07 01:24 AM Re: Great Upgrade! [Re: Lasd02]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Yeah those little fires are annoying...

#86368 - 02/22/07 01:00 PM Re: Great Upgrade! [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm seeing two minor issues.
First is to get a list of the new posts from the last 24 hours or 48 hours I have to log in twice, then view the forum list and then finally I get to see the posts in the last 24 hours. Could this search be added to the default view?
Senond is when looking for those new posts and clicking on a link takes me to the first post in the thread rather than the new post in the thread so I have to scroll down through the list to find the new one.

#86391 - 02/22/07 04:24 PM Re: Great Upgrade! [Re: Eugene]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm exploring a newly release of UBBThreads (v7.1) that may address some of the sort requests, I'll know more after I stage the new version.

#86398 - 02/22/07 05:53 PM Re: Great Upgrade! [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

New version apparently fixes the missing emails, and I believe addresses some of the concerns about sorting and new post counts, however the latter may have to be disabled if the performance penalty becomes too great.

#86417 - 02/22/07 08:46 PM Re: Great Upgrade! [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Sorts to the creation time of the oldest unread post in a thread, not to the 0th post of the thread. Any ideas as to settings for that? As I said earlier, it's an annoyance for context reasons.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#86421 - 02/22/07 09:21 PM Re: Great Upgrade! [Re: ironraven]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Sorts to the creation time of the oldest unread post in a thread, not to the 0th post of the thread. Any ideas as to settings for that? As I said earlier, it's an annoyance for context reasons.

I guess I don't quite understand your definition of 0th post. There's "Thread Start Time" in my sort options as well as ascending and descending. Wouldn't a combination of that address what you want?

#86442 - 02/23/07 12:57 AM Re: Great Upgrade! [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Sorry, 0th, as in initial or first observed condition, where it all began, if you will. It's a convention I got used to using in college, it has to do with any kind of programming, most databases, various hardware states, design evolutions, that kind of thing. Didn't mean to confuse you, I figured that someone in the industry would be familiar with it.

And where is the "thread start time", much less the sort options? I'm asking because maybe I need to have my perscription updated or something, because when I look in my preferences, I see this:

There is nothing but radio buttons and some text fields under that, nothing that looks like you can select from a menu of options. I've looked everywhere in "My Messages", "My Profile", "My Preferences", "My Watch Lists", and even "My Posts". I've also read the FAQ, not only here but on a couple other forums that came up when I searched for users of ubbthread 7.X. I can't find a thing about sort options or "thread start time" other than what I describe next.

The closest I can find is "Default Watch Sort", which has these options:

I've selected "Creation Time", but that setting does NOT bring me to the initial post of a thread after I've read it, but to the oldest of the unread messages. Which to me is a problem becuase some of threads mutate.

And I'm sorry if I sound like I'm annoyed, I'm just frustrated with the new interface and what appear to be inconsistancies in its behavior, such as this, and the little folders not always being yellow for unread posts or sometimes being yellow for read posts that I know that Frenchy has also observed.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.