The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86079 - 02/20/07 01:25 AM Opinions on fleece pants
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I'm going to try a pair of fleece pants for cold weather hiking. Since I'm not convinced they're necessary for what I'll be doing, I don't want to break the bank until I make a decision on future use. These two caught my eye Cabelas and Campmor Anyone have any experience with either?

#86080 - 02/20/07 01:34 AM Re: Opinions on fleece pants
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a pair from REI in my truck as part of my winter kit. Other than trying them out I never wear them, they're very warm. However, if things get bad enough that I need to use that kit, then maybe something that's normally too warm will be just right.

#86081 - 02/20/07 01:38 AM Re: Opinions on fleece pants
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
I won't be of much help with those particular pants, but will say that in general polarplus/fleece/synchilla/etc make GREAT durable garments. The biggest problem is that they can often be too warm. It will depend a lot on your metabolism and how you'll use them. I tend to favor cold and when doing strenuous activity will shed layers. I have a umber of tops, bottoms, jackets, etc in fleece and the ONLY downside I see is that fleece can be bulky. It performs well even wet...just shake or spin the wet garment around and use centrifugal force to push water out of the garment.

BTW, you might try Sierra Trading Post and even ebay for markdowns or cheaper offerings if the cost is of concern.

#86082 - 02/20/07 03:52 AM Re: Opinions on fleece pants
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

don't leave home without them..
i do northern forest canoeing and i have a complete set
of mid-weight fleece--"poly fluff"..that i take spring-summer-
fall..in the winter i wear them under my light weight gore-tex
rain suit...if you live anyplace where hypothermia is even
a remote possibility i would pack enought fluff and gore-tex
to cover youself from head to foot..

#86127 - 02/20/07 04:59 PM Re: Opinions on fleece pants [Re: CANOEDOGS]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

I've never tried those particular brands, but I never go camping without my fleece layer. Mine happen to be REI, but they all seem pretty similar. You definitely want some with pockets. Zippers on the pockets are a big plus. Unless you're climbing Mt. Everest, the Polartec 300 will be too warm. Stick to 200. Add polypro long johns as a base layer and a goretex wind/rain shell and you're good for virtually anything Ma Nature can throw at you. That's what I wear snow camping.

Kevin B.

#86128 - 02/20/07 05:16 PM Re: Opinions on fleece pants [Re: Malpaso]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Thanks for the replies. Last year I managed through a 4 day weekend training in the White Mountains with Patagonia long johns, sweat pants and ski pants, and was quite comfortable. I'm concerned about the (cotton) sweat pants getting wet, that's why I'm looking into the fleece pants. This year, we were also issued ECWCS pants to go with the parkas, but I'm thinking that the Gortex pants might be more than necessary. At least I'll have a few combination options.

#86130 - 02/20/07 05:51 PM Re: Opinions on fleece pants [Re: Malpaso]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
I'm concerned about the (cotton) sweat pants getting wet, that's why I'm looking into the fleece pants.

Good idea. As they say, cotton kills.

Kevin B.

#86137 - 02/20/07 07:12 PM Re: Opinions on fleece pants [Re: KevinB]
anotherKevin Offline

Loc: Colorado, US
I used to use wool army surplus pants (till I got too porky for milsurp) and they were wonderful. Appropriately warm and low cost. I think the last pair I had were German milsurp.

#86201 - 02/21/07 01:41 AM Re: Opinions on fleece pants [Re: Malpaso]
Old_Scout Offline
journeyman

Loc: Delaware
I have a pair of fleece pants that are so old and durable I just wish they would fall apart! I love them and like all fleece the only choice for wet and cold (unless you can afford the really best grade of wool, which is rare these days - Filson is all that I trust). I especially love mine for pulling on by themselves to sleep in - the best in a sleeping bag, IMO, to extend temperature rating.

"Be Prepared" "For what?" "Why, any old thing!" B-P

#86205 - 02/21/07 02:06 AM Re: Opinions on fleece pants [Re: Old_Scout]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I have some 200 weight fleece pants from Campmor. They make a pretty reasonable quality item for a great price, at least compared to things from North Face, EMS, REI, etc. They use Malden Mills Polarfleece, so it's not some cheap imitation, just a less expansive brand name! I find that I wear them under shell pants in wet/snowy weather. They are light, provide great insulation, and let perspiration flow through.

The positives have already been mentioned. I think the only real negative is if you're wearing them around a fire... They don't handle embers very well. You may end up with a few ventilation holes if you're not cautious around the fire. If you wear some kind of more durable shell over them, they are fine.

- Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.