Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#8617 - 02/05/03 07:26 PM Re: Hydration Drinks
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Read this:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/library/bl_acsm_fluid.htm

I think Gatorade fits the amount of sugar that should be in the drink for optimal absorption. I started making my own sports drink with the following recipe, very easy to make:
Recipe (makes 1 quart):
1/3 cup sugar (about 5 tablespoons)
1/4 teaspoon salt (or use Morton's lite for some potassium)
1/2 package of your favorite kool-aid, unsweetened of course
mix in 1 quart water, adding the kool-aid last

#8618 - 02/06/03 05:13 AM Re: Hydration Drinks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have used Gatorade for years, although for most uses I like to dilute it about 50:50 with water. In hot conditions I typically carry two canteens, one of which is devoted to plain water, the other to Gatorade.

The more strenuous the activity, the more important a diluted drink becomes. My stomach did not like standard Gatorade if I was running a marathon, but I could drink it straight all day long, if I was just hiking.

If you are eating salty foods, you don't need to worry about electrolyte replacement drinks. I did experience salt depletion once, and I have made sure to keep enough salt or Gatorade handy every since.

#8619 - 02/06/03 10:41 AM Re: Hydration Drinks
Anonymous
Unregistered

i know from experience that I sweat like a horse and lose salt at an alarming rate. I have salt smuggled away in my gear in various places. Salt depeltion can turn a hike into an ordeal.

Here in Brazil I can't find powdered Gatorade but I have a few cans of it that I brought from the States (I'm an American). I also use buffered salt tablets called "Thermotabs" that are available in drugstores in the States. Two thermotabs, a canteen of water and a tablespoon of honey and you're back to normal.

The thermotabs are fragile and subject to humidity. They don't take too much abuse in a pack.

Every time I'm in a restaurant and they have those little salt packets I load up. You can find tham stashed away in various places. I even have salt in my survival knife. Mac

#8620 - 02/06/03 02:53 PM Re: Hydration Drinks
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
I will have to research Thermotabs.

Thanks
Ted Fisher
VCSAR

#8621 - 02/06/03 08:27 PM Re: Hydration Drinks
NAro Offline
Addict

Read the label carefully on the Pedialyte. I don't have any criticism of this product if you actually need rehydration and electrolyte replacement. However, note that the volumes of fluid are more pediatric than adult. You'll have to probably double dose yourself.

#8622 - 02/06/03 08:30 PM Re: Hydration Drinks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tfisher,

Thermotabs are made by Numark labratories, Edison NJ. The bottle has a contact phone number 1-800-331-0221. The tabs consist of 450 mg Sodium Chloride and 30 mg Potassium Chloride. Maybe from that number you can find a distributor.
Mac

#8623 - 02/06/03 09:39 PM Re: Hydration Drinks
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
I carry a couple of packets of Emergen-C when I'm backpacking.

http://www.alacer.com

I used to mix it up right in my hydration bladder, but now I just make it in a cup as I need it. That's so I can keep my pure water pure for flushing wounds or eyes.

Here's what the manufacturer says:

"Emergen-C is widely used by athletes and people in all walks of life to provide nutritional support for a great variety of needs, such as starting the day, jogging, weight lifting, general stress, even to help ward off the late afternoon let-down!

"Emergen-C fizzes in water to furnish 1,000 mg Vitamin C with 28 different mineral electrolytes plus B Vitamins. A delicious invigorating drink with eight times as much potassium as Gatorade. Sweetened with Fructose (except Lite and Lo-Cal) for Quick Energy with Staying Power!"

I think it tastes pretty good too.

Bear

#8624 - 02/07/03 08:23 AM Re: Hydration Drinks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Typically, I have just used water. I have used Gator-aid diluted with 50% water occasionally- I read an article that favored that method in "Runners World" magazine.

I have done well under moderate to heavy and in heat by the above and power bars-- (not the one's that taste like cardboard, I like several from Trader Joe's store)

Tim H/9fingers

#8625 - 02/07/03 04:06 PM Re: Hydration Drinks
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Thanks I will look it up.

I give this info to my student and fellow members of our Search Team. So they appreciate it as well.

Ted Fisher
VCSAR

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.