Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8607 - 08/25/02 03:39 PM Hydration Drinks
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
What do members of the forum use for hydration drinks if any? <br>I have heard that just drinking water depletes the salts in your body. Many have suggested sports drinks, and then some dilute these sports drinks. Any suggestions? <br><br>I am going for a week long training mission, it will be very hot, and it will be strenuous activity. I know all about staying hydrated, but would like any info on the depletion of electrolytes. <br><br>Ted Fisher<br>Vermilion County Search and Rescue

#8608 - 08/25/02 04:39 PM Re: Hydration Drinks
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Strictly empirical - and I note that recent studies have overturned several of the traditional "facts" (An example: Lots of sources have touted the "fact" that coffee is a negative source of hydration water due to supposed diuretic effects. My experience has always refuted this. Just read an article on a story that confirms what my body has long told me - even coffee is a source of hydration water)<br><br>It's pretty simple for me: <br><br>I avoid "full strength" sugary drinks - if using them (Kool-Aid, Tang, etc), I dilute them significantly with POW (plain old water). <br><br>I avoid sugared carbonated drinks because they taste nasty when diluted.<br><br>I drink POW unless I experience "salt cramps"<br><br>I use a diluted sports drink, preferably Gator-Aid, if I notice the early symptoms of electrolyte depletion<br><br>If I don't have any sports drink with me in the above situation, I consume something salty with plenty of POW - but that is not a "complete" electrolyte replacement (Potasium prob. missing) and my results bear that out - it's better than POW, but not a complete solution (pun intended)<br><br>If I experience "salt cramps", I drink about a liter/quart of full-strength sports drink, followed by some POW to slake thirst. Repeat as required, and a brief decrease/cessation of high-level exertion makes things get back to "rights" faster for me than simply "driving on". Take a break if you can...<br><br>Powdered sports drink powder is fairly compact and on an excursion of more than one day I greatly prefer that over bottles and bottles of pre-mixed - besides, it's less expensive. (However - those bottles are great portable water containers, especially those in the 20 - 32 fl oz size range.)<br><br>I used to have electrolyte-replacement packets (no sugars) to dump into POW when needed, but I've used them up and been too lazy to scrounge up some more. IMHO, those are better than sugared sports drinks - I don't like dumping a bunch of sugars in my system, no matter what variety of sugar (sucrose, dextrose, fruictose, glucose - whatever). I suggest finding some of those and see which works better for you - electrolyte replacement VS so-called sports drinks.<br><br>Again, drinks lots of POW, watch your urine output/color, and if you experience symptoms of electrolyte depletion, it's best if you can take a break.<br><br>My experiences range from African desert to North American Arctic: extreme heat + extreme humidity, extreme heat + extremely arid, and extreme cold + extremely arid, and most climates inbetween. My "knowledge" is all from UHK (University of Hard Knocks), so it's possible that I've developed some supposed "bad habits" over the years - take my advice with that grain of salt.<br><br>HTH,<br><br>Tom

#8609 - 08/25/02 11:54 PM Re: Hydration Drinks
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Tom,<br><br>FWIW, my dietitian wife concurs with your observations. <br><br>Very strong tea, however, is diuretic. But it must be much stronger than that which is typically found in the USA.<br><br>John

#8610 - 08/26/02 04:01 AM Re: Hydration Drinks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ayers basically has it right. Gatorade is Ok, if diluted. One main advantage is that is readily available, compared to other preparations, like ERG. It really works well when doing strenuous exercise in heat. IfGatorade is not available, salty foods will help with the sodium; bananas and figs are good sources for potassium.

#8611 - 08/26/02 05:24 AM Re: Hydration Drinks
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about Pedialyte? I know it's formulated for small children, but will it work for adults in an emergency if you simply drink more?

#8612 - 08/26/02 05:51 AM Re: Hydration Drinks
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Grim,<br><br>According to my favorite dietitian, Pedialite should work as well for adults as for children. A cheaper approach is just to make your own. She thought the recipe was in the Merck Manual. <br><br>Good luck,<br><br>John

#8613 - 08/26/02 10:57 AM Re: Hydration Drinks
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
My drink of choice (necessity) is Cytosport Inc. Cytomax. You can find it here:<br><br>http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=4933&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1<br><br>Now it tastes nasty but it works. I find I can push myself longer and further while drinking it constantly through out the exercise. I didn't know it when I bought the drink (for some reason they don’t advertise it) but it also reduces your oxygen amount consumption. Since I climb in high altitudes for me it's an added benefit. Plus after speed runs I'm not really that tired and my body recovers much faster. It does great job for killing taste of iodine in the water but the taste of the drink itself is really not the best (in comparison to Getorade) <br><br>Matt<br>

#8614 - 08/26/02 12:38 PM Re: Hydration Drinks
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
I like the school of hard knocks, and Thanks so much for your info. It will help me SURVIVE this long hot class.<br><br>Ted Fisher<br>Vermilion County Search and Rescue

#8615 - 08/26/02 01:46 PM Re: Hydration Drinks
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I seem to be very susceptible to dehydration. Prior to any rescue, I drink plenty of water, but seen to sweat it out within 20-30 minutes. While I carry both water and either GATORADE or what I like better SQUINCHER, it is sometimes difficult during the operation to stop and rehydrate thoroughly. With this in mind, we keep a close watch on each other and make sure that if we notice anyone starting to show signs of dehydration and it is feasible, they stop, take a break and rehydrate. For me personally, I get a very weak feeling when I am dehydrated and find the extra caloric boost from SQUINCHER to be helpful. Pete

#8616 - 08/30/02 07:14 PM Re: Hydration Drinks
Anonymous
Unregistered

all I take is water, you can't cook with electolite drinks, or make tea with them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.