Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85689 - 02/15/07 06:10 AM Cooking with an Esbit stove
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Quote:
Those look like the ZEBRA brand made in Indonesia. the forum made a group buy some years past. You should measure the goss volume by water in cups.I've easilly cooked rice in mine with an ESBIT stove.

Aloha Chris,

You wrote about cooking rice with an Esbit stove. I didn't want to hijack the other thread so here goes in a new one.

I need your expert advice! I can't even get my Esbit to boil 2 cups of water in a Primus kettle. How do you do it? Anyone else is welcome to chime in too.

Mahalo in advance.

#85690 - 02/15/07 07:02 AM Re: Cooking with an Esbit stove
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My zebra is @ 16cm and similar to the rectangular unit on the PEARL website. It has a full volume capacity of 2 measured cups . This works out to the standard ratio of @ 1/2 cup rice to 1 1/4 cup water, oatmeal etc. My ESBIT has 2 additional side wind screens fabricated from aluminum cans that nestle nicely inside. with this setup and the lid fitted I can bring water to a boil easily with one tab and toss in the rice,stir and then with the last of the fueltab and gathered tinder simmer for a full 10 minutes. This is standard not minute rice; basmati, jasmine,brown or whatever the cute vegan I hike with feels like. It's a matter of thinking small container and big efficiency with these stoves. You will go broke using the esbit tabs exclusively. I find TRIOXANE is fussier to handle, but seems anecdotaly to burn better. Either way, after that initial boil from a fuel tab I switch to fuels just enough to maintain the container's heat for slow simmering.

#85691 - 02/15/07 08:14 AM Re: Cooking with an Esbit stove
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Aloha Chris, Thanks for the prompt reply and good information. Oh, and congratulations on the cute vegan!

Did you just cut out pieces from the can to fit the sides? And did you add any vent holes in the can pieces? And finally, how do you keep the can wind screens in place? Do you have a fold on the top perhaps? I wonder if heavy duty foil would do.

Sorry for the dumb questions, I am new to the Esbit stove use. I prefer an open fire, but most places do not allow one. And a small fire in the Esbit would be more efficient.

Have you tried the Esbit with a home-made alcohol stove by any chance? Since I wasn't able to get water to boil no matter what I tried before, I was thinking of making an alcohol stove, but I will try the wind screens first.

#85692 - 02/15/07 09:23 AM Re: Cooking with an Esbit stove
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
Have you tried the Esbit with a home-made alcohol stove by any chance? Since I wasn't able to get water to boil no matter what I tried before, I was thinking of making an alcohol stove, but I will try the wind screens first.

i assume you mean a alcohol stove, seperatly? I never had trouble boiling water with an alcohol stove, made many meals on them, there also much cheaper. The too, work best with an windscreen.

#85693 - 02/15/07 01:05 PM Re: Cooking with an Esbit stove
BlackSwan Offline

Want to convert your Esbit stove to alcohol?
How about this: Yet another use for an Altoids tin!

I made something like this years ago with the bottom of a round can, cut off to just fit inside the folded up Esbit stove. The can is filled with steel wool (you can use fiberglass insulation also). In the link above, they use perlite, which is supposed to be better, but the steel wool does not fall out. so I like it better. I use this stove, and prefer it to Esbit tablets, if I am out in the woods and want a nice hot cuppa.

#85694 - 02/15/07 04:11 PM Re: Cooking with an Esbit stove
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My screens are two rectangles with a small lip forming an L . These rest nicely against the two open sides, no vents as the bottom has enough draft. They also fit neatly inside the stove for carry. With a small unit thermal efficiency is everything. People have cobbled all manner of screens. This works for me. My Zebra is substantial steel guage for it's size, so the simmering is helped by heat retention much like a dutch oven. Alcohol stoves et al are fun. Whatever you choose, remember the concept, like a PSK is to have something on you. The ESBIT works for me.

#85695 - 02/15/07 11:16 PM Re: Cooking with an Esbit stove
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've done similar by digging a small, tight hole just deep enough to set the esbit down in with about a finger's width around it. I line the hole with a little aluminum foil, letting the foil stick up past the hole a ways. Then sit the stove down in it and light the cube. I flare the aluminum out at the top of the hole so I can sit my pan inside it. I don't bind the aluminum too tight, just enough to duct the heat up around the pan and allow enough draft (a small straw stuck down through the aluminum might help draft it better. I can get a good boil going on two cups of water this way fairly quick, though I haven't timed it. The water boils before the esbit is consumed.

I wish I had a picture of it. Hopefully you get a good sense of what I am talking about. I came up with this after thinking about how a dakota hole works.

#85696 - 02/16/07 10:09 AM Re: Cooking with an Esbit stove
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the feedback everyone. More suggestions are welcome.

Here's a dumb question...what kind of alcohol do you use in the alcohol stove? And how much do you use?

#85697 - 02/17/07 12:32 AM Re: Cooking with an Esbit stove
Old_Scout Offline
journeyman

Loc: Delaware
I prefer the methanol available in most paint store miscellany. I have also used gas line anti-freeze (yellow label burns cleaner) and Sterno fuel (the liquid). Grain ethanol should work, though I haven't used it (if you can get potable then you could have a party, too!) I use about 1 oz. to boil a pint of water. To get best efficiency requires good windshield. I make my own with 6" alum. flashing with holes punched around base with paper punch.

"Be Prepared" "For what?" "Why, any old thing!" B-P

#85698 - 02/17/07 05:01 PM Re: Cooking with an Esbit stove
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

think about your Esbit stove as just a pot holder and the
fire cube as a firelighter and use whatever will burn to
feed that fire..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.