The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8481 - 08/21/02 08:13 PM Capsules
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Check these out:<br><br>http://www.bisonbelts.com/Catalog/capsule_large_661474.htm<br><br>http://www.bisonbelts.com/Catalog/capsule_661471.htm<br><br>Pete

#8482 - 08/21/02 08:15 PM Re: Capsules
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
There are other cool things on their web site as well. Pete

#8483 - 09/05/02 08:01 PM Re: Capsules
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice looking and decent size but unfortunately they won't fit rolled bills - just a little short. The price is great though! I bought a couple of them and am wearing one on my key chain right now. Still looking for what will fit it and be useful. It is empty right now.<br><br>Does anyone know of a similarly priced capsule that is just about 1/2 inch longer - my dimension requirements are for US bills. Others would be different.

#8484 - 10/09/02 05:35 PM Re: Capsules
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
Hi. This is my first post, & I wish to share my limited experience with the Bison Capsules. <br><br>I first learned of the Bison capsules earlier this week while browsing this forum, and after work, went to REI & bought the smaller size (only size they had in stock).<br><br>I, too, was not sure just what to do with it, but found that it will indeed hold at least one rolled US bill . I experimented with a $1 dollar bill, but other denominations are the same size. It might, just might, hold two bills, but I doubt it.<br><br>Fold it in half lengthwise, then roll it up. It's lying on my keyboard as I type this, with a US$1 bill in it.<br><br>BTW, I think this forum is FANTASTIC!!!

#8485 - 10/12/02 02:53 AM Re: Capsules
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
I bought one of their survival whistles (at least, I think it was one of theirs - it looks identical to the one in the photograph) and stuffed a cotton ball inside the secret compartment. Then I dropped it in a coffee cup full of tap water and left it there overnight. When I shook it off and opened it the next day, the cotton was as dry as when it went in. With that, and the key-flint and SAK on my keychain, I would have no worries about starting a fire, even after a severe dunking in the river. (The key-flint is an idea I got from this forum - I crazy-glued 4 Coghlan's lighter flints to a key blank and carry it on my keychain, along with a SAK Classic.)

#8486 - 10/14/02 10:33 AM Re: Capsules
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry some of them lighter flints in my survival kit but I cant find a good handle for them. I have just used a micro knock off leatherman that I keep with me to hold it. can you send out a picture of this key thing?<br><br>ballonman

#8487 - 10/15/02 02:33 AM Re: Capsules
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
I'm afraid I don't have a digital camera. I may be able to borrow one and post a picture, but I don't know if a picture will be any more enlightening.<br><br>I've made up a bunch of these - I made about 10 of them for a Wilderness First Aid course I taught this past summer, to hand out to the students as "keepers". I also made a bunch of much cheaper ones for a group of Boy Scouts/Air Cadets/Saint John Ambulance Cadets for a Wilderness Survival Camp we ran on the Labour Day weekend (end of August). <br><br>Basically, if you look at almost any key, you'll see there's a fairly deep groove running down the length on one side. Squeeze some Crazy Glue into this, then put your lighter flints in so they're resting in the groove. I've found that I can only put 3 flints in at a time; make sure they're snugged up against each other. <br><br>The ones I did for the WFA course, I went to Revy building supplies and bought about 10 key blanks (Klassen KW1, if you're interested) and CG-ed 5 flints to each one. When I tried to do the same for the Cadet camp, I had trouble finding anyone to sell me key blanks. Walmart wanted to charge me full price, and insisted on running the key through the machine (they seemed to think that, for security reasons, they weren't allowed to sell key blanks). I went to the nearby "Anything for a Buck" discount store and bought 4 cheap padlocks, each with 3 keys. I threw out the padlocks and used the keys, but this was definitely a "skinflint" (no pun intended) solution. The keys were so small that I could only fit 3 flints on them. However, they will ignite a fluffed-out piece of cotton wool, so they are functional. Obviously, they don't have the power of a Military Match or some of the other commercially prepared sparkers available, but for everyday carry and just playing around they're pretty neat.<br><br>(I didn't invent this - someone else on this forum pointed me to an earlier post which described it.)

#8488 - 06/11/03 09:26 PM Re: Capsules
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anybody know if these Bison capsules (the large one) will hold a standard PR flashlight bulb (or 2)? I am looking for a container as small and pocketable as possible for spare bulbs.

Thanks.

#8489 - 06/11/03 11:24 PM Re: Capsules
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I only have the small Bison. Internal diameter is 12mm at the best. I do not have a PR bulb so cannot test fit, but I am guessing this would be too tight.

I carry spare bulbs in a thin plastic tube with red push plugs that I got some allen screws in. I see these at automotive stores sometimes.

#8490 - 06/11/03 11:41 PM Re: Capsules
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
You can find larger stainless capsules from various medical suppliers for larger things like PR lamps.

from
http://www.jfainc.com/pillfob.html
http://www.medids.com/PILL_PAL.html

Edited by Schwert (06/11/03 11:42 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.